Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Best vinyl cutter out there in 2018

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best vinyl cutter out there in 2018
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone.

Long time since I have been here...hope all is well in your world.

Am finally at the end of hand lettering and now I have to get a vinyl cutter. My guy that I used for cutting has now taken on another profession and does not want to cut any more vinyl....so...here I am doing something that I hoped would never come, but I am forced to face it.

What, in your best opinion, is the best cutter for an old sign-dog like me to start with? I have looked at Graphtec, Roland and US Cutter. Must have ability to use a pen for patterns.

Not wanting to retire yet (Am now 74) so I need to keep the business going.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jackson

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have 2 Graphtech vinyl cutters - 30" and a 54" .....and very happy with them. Easy to use, and never had any problems with either of them.

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 574 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack, I settled on Graphtec long ago and am pleased with that decision. We don't do any printing, so I can't speak on that side, but for cutting, pen plotting, and making pounce patterns, I'm happy. I think I bought this one fifteen years ago and had another for a dozen years before that. Not too big a learning curve if you don't need to learn a graphics program at the same time. Glad to hear that plotters work that far north.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GET A SUMMA!!!! I have one. I have been beating the crap out of it 8 days a week since 2005. Plus, the real good good part is that they are located in Seattle. You just drive out and pick it up. AND if it ever needs repair, you just drive it back to Seattle for repair. You get to talk (Threaten) to the technician right at his face. When you first get there, you get to "Test Drive" a few machines right on the spot. What more can you ask for. They may even have some refurbished machines, ya never know.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree...Summa is the plotter to get

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
web site,,,,,, Summa Airmark

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank everyone. Checked out both of them. Really like the fact of getting one local (Seattle is local) and being able to go yell at the tech when needed. Haha

Rick...plotters work here, just gotta keep 'em outta the
rain. Haha

I will let you know if I have any questions...y'all are the best.

--------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA
...."The Straits of Juan De Fuca in my front yard and Olympic National Park in my backyard...

"Living on Earth is expensive...but it does include a free trip around the Sun"

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jackson, as always, everyone has their own favorite plotter. I always used Rolands because of the easy setup to work with and cut from CorelDraw.

But, in the case of your location, I would agree with Alicia. Having an actual product company that is located within driving distance would be perfect!

As Rick mentioned, learning the design software is the big thing. Making sure the plotter will work with your preferred design software is the next big consideration.

Will it work with CorelDraw, Illustrator, Signlab etc. or whatever your current software that you are comfortable with is a big question to ask.

Good luck with whatever plotter you choose.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeping it local is worth a lot, although in all these years I've never needed to send it back for anything.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mimaki.....

--------------------
Carl Wood
Olive Branch, Ms

Posts: 1392 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been in business 23 years now and have used one 20 inch Roland (one of the first Camm-1 cutters)
for about 2 years and then we switched to a 24 inch Graphtec. It lasted over 10 years but I needed a larger plotter/cutter and bought a 30" Graphtec and it is still going strong. I worked for a sign supply company in the early 90's in St. Louis and sold Roland, Graphtec, Ioline and a few others. The Roland was a good base model but the Graphtec was always the Cadillac. It has held up to daily use for many years and miles of vinyl and paper patterns. If Graphtec is available in your area, I would consider comparing it to Summa before I made a final decision.

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go local as well. I looked at other plotters and Summa was going to be my choice but I ended up keeping my Roland. It has lasted.... lasted beyond Roland's willingness to supply standard maintenance parts, like the cutting strip. I ended up having to make my own because no one has them any more. I ended up finding a very thin plastic strip nearly identical to regular cutting strips with adhesive backing that was 1/2 inch wide. I cut it down to my 1/8 inch width using my vinyl slitter. One strip from Roland when they were available, was around $12. I can make 40 strips out of the material I found and it was $12 plus freight. I guess I should quit complaining because Roland did me a favor in this case. If you want to start making your own just message me and I'll give you the link to the company. The strip I made has worked flawlessly.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!