Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » WARNING*** Gorilla glue & Bondo Don't mix

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WARNING*** Gorilla glue & Bondo Don't mix
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a warning to anyone working with sign foam, gorilla glue & Bondo. We haven't figured out the scientific reation yet, because our heads are still spinning.

Yesterday, Don put Bondo over some nail holes
in a sign we are working on, it was near a molding that we had glued. Some of the glue had expanded and soaked into the foam, right near the nail holes.

About 15 minutes in to project, Don fell to the floor, head spinning and black out condition, shortly after, he vomited and we sent him home, not knowing what had happened.

I continued to work in the shop all day and into the night with no problem. But this morning when I started to sand the Bondo, I realized the bondo didn't cure. ( it occured to me this was the problem )Then after 5 minutes of me scraping the bondo off the sign, I too started my head spinning and started to black out.

This chemical reaction is worse than leaving the can of brush cleaner opened, or leaving the cover off the frog juice.

Damn my head hurts.

------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
bob@creativesignworks.com

"Some people's kids"

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre St.Marie
Visitor
Member # 1462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pierre St.Marie   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre St.Marie       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent reason to use the factory Fillers and Adhesives designed for HDU. Sure youpe your guy is ok. That's a pretty hairy experience! Our best to him. :^)

------------------
St.Marie Graphics
& Makin' Tracks Sound Studio
Kalispell, Montana
stmariegraphics@centurytel.net http://www.stmariegraphics.com
800 735-8026
We're chiseling every day of the week! :^)

Posts: 4223 | From: Kalispell,Mt 59903 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is too weird. I have a problem with a sign that I am trying to fix, and put some gorilla glue on it just for density. I realized that that wasn't going to work and was going out tonight to get some bondo to put over that. YIKES!
Thanks much for the post, Bob. Will try a different approach. Still can't believe the timing of this post. Hope everyone's ok.

------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan
Since 1978
http://www.wrightsigns.bigstep.com

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez Bob, that's wild. Specifically, was the Gorilla glue put over fresh Bondo or cured Bondo? or was it the Bondo that was put over the glue - and was that glue set or still soft?

We use these two items in close proximity all the time and never knew there was a potential risk. Ever try to mix bleach and ammonia together? Whew! Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
http://www.dave-joe-show.com
e-mail: joerees@capecraft.com

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Utter
Visitor
Member # 634

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dave Utter   Email Dave Utter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have glued signs with gorilla glue, and then put bondo in screw holes and small imperfections, and heve never had a problem of this sort. I am curious as to what brand of bondo you are using, and whether the glue was completely dry etc. Can you give us more info?

------------------
Dave Utter
D-utterguy on chat
Sign Designs
Beardstown, Il.
utter@fgi.net

Posts: 777 | From: beardstown, illinois, usa | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW, what a ride that was.

Joe I really don't know how this all transpired but for the record I will explain what we did.

we had a square panel with a slight arched top, the whole panel had a 1" routered molding around edge.On the arch we needed to bend the molding. Being that it was a 1" molding, it didn't bend too easy so we had to set nails in the main panel to hold the molding while we bent it around the arch.

When we had the right form, we removed the molding, applied the gorilla glue, then reapplied the molding, weaving it back through the nails, on the ends we nailed throught the molding into the flat panel to hold it in place. Then clamped it.

The next morning we removed the clamps and the nails, now we had to clean up the expanded gorilla glue and fill the holes. We did apply the bondo right on top of where the expanded glue had been. ( it seems as if the glue also soaks into the foam )
So the glue WAS dry. We always mix our bondo to a dark pink mixture so it will cure fast.

And that was it, no weird science here. We had been glueing for 2 days on other parts of sign so I doubt it was the glue itself. Also it was not untill I started to sand and scrape the uncured bond that the toxic stuff happened.

I will note that there is NO smell, and when I applied my respirator my head stopped spinning. So take this info as you will. I won't be trying this one anytime soon.

------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
bob@creativesignworks.com

"Some people's kids"

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I brought back a container of PL brand eurethane glue. The ingredients looked the same as the gorilla snot, so I decided to give it a try. 30% cheaper, less smell, and it foams alot less. We all seem to like it better!

------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California
"Where the Redwoods meet the Surf"

Posts: 6718 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!