Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Laser engravers.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Laser engravers.
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking about purchasing one. Any ideas or recommendations?

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Real Mercier
Visitor
Member # 362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Real Mercier   Email Real Mercier       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you need to provide a little more information. What are you planning on doing with the laser? What materials are you going to work with? How big a machine do you think you will need? Budget? Like most types of equipment, there are hundreds of different machine options.

Real Mercier

--------------------
Real Mercier
West Springfield, MA

Posts: 29 | From: West Springfield, MA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil, there are a lot of options with a laser. I have been interested in them myself and have looked at them a lot at trade shows, which is a really good thing to do if you have a chance. You really have to decide what you expect to do with it before anything else. After that I would get the largest and most powerful one that fit your budget and suited your needs. Pass through is nice so you can do longer items than will fit in the cabinet but that is usually an option on larger machines. I happened to like Universal as at the time they were the only manufacturer that provided there own laser tubes and other factors too, but Trotec, Epilog and others are reputable manufacturers. Now they have large format lasers from Kern and ones from AP that you can take out of the shop and laser directly on floors and other things.

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WE have a Universal Laser, It has been a good laser, we have had it for about 8 years. It has been very good for us. Feel Free to get a hold of us, Dennis can give you more info about it. [Smile]

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 576 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil
Go to sawmillcreek.org. They have a laser engraving forum with lots of information.
We have a chinese "Rabbit" laser. It has a 3' x 4' bed.
It is good for cuting wood. Rabbit Laser USA
We have had it 4 years. Paid about $11k,. No problems.

For engraving get either an Epilog or Universal.

Kern Laser is good for high power cutting.
For very high quality and high speed engraving Trotec is the
one to look at.
If you want to talk about lasers, call my husband Ernie- 518-885-9899 (eastern standard time-)
Diane

[ March 02, 2015, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: DianeBalch ]

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses. I have the room for a fairly sized machine and just want to add some products/service. We have a lot of requests for all types of engraved signs so it should be a great addition...

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!