Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » What are they saying,,

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are they saying,,
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are they saying in this sign? Every time I drive pass this sign, I can't help but feel bad for the person who had to design this sign.

-

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Steve Martin once said..."What the hell is that?"

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I know what da is! What the hell is that?!

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it looks like they are birthing kids in a watermelon patch

diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1695 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 7 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The kids are behind a green hill, with footprints on it; so OBVIOUSLY they're behind a FOOTHILL!!
C'MON PEOPLE, you call yourself DESIGNERS?!?!? [I Don t Know]

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pleeease, show some mercy.......It doesn't look that terrible.......

This reminds me of an old sign design teacher saying to the class: "Suppose that I give, 10 of you, students, a subject to develop a design for a new sign and, then, lock up those 10 students, each in a different room, and ask each one of them to create a design for the new sign, without consulting with anyone else.....The end result is going to be the same: 10 different designs, about the same subject for that new sign........It is, practically, impossible. for two or more students, to come up with, exactly, the same design."

The same thing is happening here.

Then, again......Opinions are like noses......Everyone has one.

RD

[ November 01, 2014, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo Davila ]

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Okay, now I get it. "The Foothills" Hills with feet on them then add the kids somewhat behind them. Gee, I would have never thought of that one.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are planting kids up to the neck, then tamping the ground down barefoot, porpagating younguns I'd say.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a runway model with the same step pattern on my local news.
It will bring tears to your eyes......from laughing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0eINGyJHz8

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count on it......somewhere......

There's a "designer/artist" kicked back in his reclining desk chair, looking at an enlarged photo of that sign, and thinking to himself, "Man, that sign really says something! I really nailed it this time"

He's waiting for the phone to ring; for the next knucklehead, gullible enough to ask him to design a similar "wonder" for them.....

[ November 06, 2014, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That or it's customer designed. Probably a group meeting, a brainstorming session; and the sign company had to decide how badly they needed work.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have looked at that photo for a few days and the more I look at it....The more I think it is a "photo edited" image.

The perspective is wrong, the angles are wrong. Heck, everything is out of whack in that picture.

But Alicia did stir up a few comments. [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least its legible.

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh-Oh.
Dave is calling Alicia a Liar!
Now whatcha gonna do?

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The answer is in the stop lights.............

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The impression I get right away; it seems like an upward hill to learn, thumbs down on the hill that goes up! I see two startled kids that are sinking in some sinkhole, wow.
Then I see the logo looking like a big piece of wood beginning to fall.
And besides that, those footprints, make them a bit bigger and that would be perfect for Jack and the Beanstalk!

I visualize some smiling kids in a picturesque mountain land with beautiful open space at the valley full of bright colors and lots of animals, teachers and singing. For heaven's sake they could have put them on a small mountaintop and used the Sound of Music theme!

[ November 08, 2014, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Deb Fowler ]

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Davidson
Visitor
Member # 531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Davidson   Email Bill Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack notices everything.

--------------------
Bill'n'Annie Davidson
Heathcote, NSW, Aus.
my Aussie wife,
a Toohey's Old,
my Holden Ute,
Retired from the rat race!

Posts: 309 | From: Heathcote, NSW, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Weeks
Resident

Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Weeks   Email Kathy Weeks       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Alicia - that is a sad sign.
Since the sign is substantial, I got the impression that the newby/wouldbe sign maker is a handyman or carpenter of some sort, and bought a vinyl plotter/printer and is trying their hand at sign making.
Poor design. I hope the customer did not pay a lot for this sign.
It's kind of creepy. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Kathy Weeks
Weeks-End Signs & Graphics
Lake Elmo, Minnesota

Posts: 249 | From: Lake Elmo, Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this is mediocre design at best.

Surely the footprints on the hill were insisted on by the customer. A play on words is difficult to pull off on a sign. Instead of clever, the effect is often juvenile, as in this case.

I never use a visual play on words unless it actually relates to the business. Even then, if it is the least bit complicated, it's usually not a good idea. If it is not INSTANTLY recognizable, it detracts. If viewers have to stop and think to digest the message, it's less effective. My ex-gf, a writer, says, "If your message slows the reading down, or stops it, even momentarily, it's a fail."
Some may reason that if this bizarre graphic stops people to look at it, then more will read the sign. Good argument? I'm not sure. Could this be a memorable sign in the community? Becoming a little landmark, perhaps? "(Turn at the sign with the footprints on the mound. You know, the sign with the decapitated kids heads)."
Hmm...

At any rate, I believe priorities are skewed in the layout. The visual focal point has become the odd graphic, together with the phone number. Shouldn't the dominant element be the words, "Learning Center?" Or, "Foothills Learning Center?"
If the average read time is 1.6 seconds, I would expect some people to pass this sign, stare at the graphic for 1.6 seconds, and never even see or digest the words "Learning Center." I can visualize people driving past and saying, "I wonder what they do there?"
The phrase "Learning Center" has had its legibility compromised in several ways: It is all caps. It is placed in a panel that is part of what amounts to a border treatment. It is on an angle, and it has precious little negative space around it. It has been treated as secondary copy. Its black letters may even be sometimes mistaken, at quick glance, for a decorative pattern in the border.

Of course, there IS the stoplight. Traffic backed up at this intersection will have at least 30 seconds, or longer for a long light, to stare at this sign — and then decide whether it's safe to trust these people with their kids.

Brad in Kansas City

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread reminded me of a daycare sign I had to design last year. The name of the place is really "Krumb Snatchers."

They rejected one of my alternate designs:

-

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!