Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » I told ya,,Walmart Prints Banners (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I told ya,,Walmart Prints Banners
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So now you can get a banner printed at WalMart. Although, this is a sector of the market of which I don't want to be involved in. A 2'x8' is about $30.bucks. I used to send people to Kinko's, now I can send them to Walmart.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This makes me sick.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
since the printers have taken over i do maybe 3-4 banners a year!!!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of the 10 richest people in America I think 3 were the Walton kids...yet Walmart purposefully works many of their people in such a way as to get out of paying for their healthcare...I'm shopping there less and less and at the same time usually paying a little more to local merchants who are just trying to make an honest living...every time I do this I feel good about myself.

[ February 08, 2013, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure I'm outside of the perimiters here, but here goes...i had a long talk with a business person this week. Do you know the term "Flooring"? I didn't. It seems that Walmart and Costco do not pay inventory tax because they have no inventory. They take possession of the things sold "at the register" as they sell. All that stuff belongs to the individual manufacturers until it is sold. No wonder the small companies go out of business. No wonder its all made over seas. Talk about a new world.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 198 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's truly amazing, that in today's world, so many companies (and individuals) are expanding their businesses and enlarging their pocketbooks, by scamming the rest of us, in some way or other.

Change is not always for the better.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ February 09, 2013, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Bob Sauls ]

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gerald,
Home Depo does things the same way. I have a friend in the timber biz. Since home depot is the largest seller of lumber it has severely changed the market and how things are done.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean people still leave the office or home to actually drive out to Wally or Office Max to order a banner? Not smart these days! Point and click the banner arrives the next day for LESS than Wally!

Wally is not the problem.

Its me, and all of us. We are all guilty in my opinion.

Would you rather pay $90.00 for business cards at the local printer in your town to support his business, or pay $10.00 to Vista Print for even better and more?

Point and Click....to easy and too cheap. Its a different world now; figure out what it needs and provide it...but make sure your customers can point and click!

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Dave you are right, we complain and then and order stuff online, you talk about calling the kettle Black... there's even some sign supply companies doing the same thing, they stock you up, and you only pay when you use it.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flooring is used in the auto industry as well.

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as the Super stores go...I would like to boycott the whole lot of them...but if you are going to buy from them I would recommend Costco...the owner is a great guy...I saw a tv special on Costco and was impressed with the owner...he treats his employees right...top dollar for this kind of work with full benefits...when those enormous profits are shared more equitably with the employees you have a happy work force...I don't care for Walmart...they are guilty of taking advantage of their people...hoarding the profits and short changing their people.

[ February 10, 2013, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as Walfart selling or any other chain that is not advertising related makes little sense to buy from other then cheap ..good for cheap information if ya do not want afford to be a real adventure yet..

Flooring or any other tax credit that anybody gets...HR25 would solve (the Fair Tax Plan)

Agrees with Rusty on Costco.. The Owner is a genius in business & his ideas work also challenges you.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I go out of my way NOT to buy anything at Walmart...hopefully I will never have to set foot in another one of their stores again!

Check out the documentary...."The High Cost of Low Prices" gives you a good idea why most "American Downtown" areas are sitting vacant, or are heading that way.

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty,
In your Wal*Mart ( actually WALMART*) observation you forgot to mention million dollar bribes to Mexican officials to get stores built thus beating out the other stores and the long wait permit process.
[Eek!]

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never set foot in a Walmart and never will.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You people take a stand on Walmart but I'm betting you are at Target, Kohls, and a lot of other national chains who's products come from the same place and pay their employees just as bad.

I understand the sentiments and hate this system but we have to be honest and not make Walmart the only whipping boy for our disgust.

All the union people in my area talk the same way and most working men I know visit Harbor Freight on a weekly basis.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting topic. There is nothing made, that cannot be made a little worse, and sold a little cheaper, and those that shop by price alone, are this man's lawful prey. When low prices come in the door, quality goes out the window. Peace, Donj

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Ruskin was a wise soul [Smile]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE WALL MART!!!
i do most of our grocery shopping there. why?
because the WINN DIXIE & PUBLIX, we have here are pricing same brand products at anywhere from $1-2 higher then walmart.
RICE CHEX, A DOLLAR CHEAPER PER BOX AT WALL MART.
GRAPEFRUIT AT PUBLIX, $1.29 EA, WALMART .59 EA.
MORNING STAR VEGETARIAN PRODUCTS, PUBLIX, $4.50, WALMART $3.29
i can go on and on.
as for how they treat their employees..........THE PEOPLE WHO WORK THERE accepted the job........its their choice...you dont like unions.......THIS is what you get.

[ February 11, 2013, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have ever published a book and put it on Amazon, you will find that they not only do this same thing, but they make you (the book publisher) pay the freight to ship to them, charge you to inventory your unsold books, and they have the right to discount your retail price that they charge, leaving you with the smallest of profit.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Wood
Visitor
Member # 6543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Wood   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can Walmart make big profits selling their merchandise at lower prices.What is the big secret here.It is hearsay that products placed on their sales floor and the manufacturer sujusts the retail price the item should sell for...and that product does not sell...the manufacturer signs an agreement to buy back that unsold product at their sujusted posted price.Does anyone know if this is Walmarts policy when they purchase their inventory?

--------------------
Bill Wood
Bill Wood, Sign Artist
3628 Ogburn Ave., NE
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-3752
336-682-5820

Posts: 397 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I checked, no one is forced to shop at Walmart or work there.

They have a business model that works for them. The same business model as a lot of other companies. What's funny is that a lot of other companies build their stores around Walmart even though they sell a lot of the same stuff. Hmmmm...I wonder why.

Meanwhile, the starting wages at their North Dakota stores is $17 an hour.... the wretches.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though I don't shop at Wal Mart...I still have to help pay for their tax breaks and for health care coverage that they don't extend to their employees. But hey, the Walton kids are only worth about 25 billion each, so I can see how they need every dime!

http://www.walmartmovie.com/facts.php

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevermind. This is getting into politics.

[ February 12, 2013, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great article by the CEO and Editor-in-Chief of Business Insider. Worth the read and I think it applies here.

http://www.businessinsider.com/companies-need-to-share-more-profits-with-employees-2012-12

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

[ February 12, 2013, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn, most people know North Dakota is a special case right now. That said, Walmart is no worse than any major retailer as far as wages and benefits, save a few like Costco.

I don't like it and wish their was such a thing as a livable wage society used to strive for but this is the present state of our country and the world for that matter.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

David, I know. My point is that the labor prices are market driven. And that is how it should be.

Just because the Walmart heirs are billionaires should have no bearing on what they should pay their employees. It should be left to the Market. If a person wants higher pay and a higher standard of living, they should earn it and not worry about the other guy who has a dollar more than they do.

IMHO, a "living wage" is a fantasy borne out of envy and a sense of entitlement. It doesn't work. It never has.

Would someone tell me exactly how much a Living Wage should be? I'd like for someone to give an actual working number that would be fair to everyone and still let businesses remain competitive nationally and internationally.

[ February 12, 2013, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

I've hired a 30 year old man to build my small shop/studio for me...he told me he got $15 an hour for his skilled labor...he lives 30 minutes away...I told him there was no way I was paying him $15 an hour without also allowing me to give him $5 a day for gas and take him out to lunch while he worked for me...he feels good...and I feel good about myself...the unintended consequences has been that he is busting his butt to please me...and today he shows up with rice, beans, kale, and sweet potatoes for all 4 of us...Donna throws in a chicken and we have a feast...they are all still at the kitchen table visiting as I type this...you can take from this story as you wish...but for me personally it is the only way to treat your fellow man.

I feel pretty sure that if I were a billionaire it would not be long before I would only be a millionaire...but a very happy one.

[ February 12, 2013, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Glenn...checkout this link...Walmart's own site for salaries in each individual state...North Dakota will be in the white.

http://walmart-jobs.net/walmart-sales-associate-salary-in-usa/

You got the 17 right...but not $17 an hour but rather $17,000 a year...those wretches.

The average salary Walmart pays is 15,000 to 18,000 a year according to their own site.

Also Walmart has the largest number of employees on the public rolls of any employer...check this out for their wonderful healthcare benefit program

http://makingchangeatwalmart.org/healthcare/

If these are the good guys (Walmart) that will be a tough position to defend.

[ February 12, 2013, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty,

I am, really, so impressed.....I had no idea you could be such a nice person, to other people.....The way you are treating that individual is absolutely commendable. May God bless you for your generosity.

So, how come you are not that nice with me ?.....I can, also, cook rice and beans......or, was it something I said ?

You know we like you, in Oklahoma.

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Rusty, I got my info from CNBC....

quote:
The unemployment rate in Williston, North Dakota hovers around .07 percent. Wal-Mart is offering $17 an hour, and even the United States Postal Service is hiring.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/49432224/Could_Bakken_Oil_Boom_Go_Bust_After_Election

As for your generosity for your employee, I applaud you. To me, such generosity means all the more when you do such things voluntarily because you want to rather than some government bureaucrat forcing you to do it upon penalty.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

A living wage is not something I believe should be enforced by government but something society or even a business should strive for.

Henry Ford did it when he instituted the $5 a day in the early days where he believed it was to his and everyone's benefit if those that built the cars could afford them.

As to what amount a living wage is, I would guess more than $7 an hour. $15 or $20 even better, but again, it is not something I advocate the government gets involved in even though they do pay good wages ( not sure they get a return on their investment).

The auto workers around me make good living wages but that is disappearing as the older $28 an hour employees are being replace by Tier two level who only make $16 or so. Pretty good by other standards but a significant drop from the good old days.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Glenn...I read the CNBC article...I think you will want to retract your statement from your above post.

"Meanwhile, the starting wages at their North Dakota stores is $17 an hour."

As it turns out the $17 an hour applies to only one Walmart store in one little town...Williston...they are a boomtown and an economic anomaly...with a population of only 14,700 and an average annual income of $77,000...Walmart is probably forced to offer $17 an hour to get anyone there to work for them...I hardly believe it could be out of the goodness of their heart because that would be such a contradiction with their other employment practices in the rest of North Dakota and the country.

[ February 12, 2013, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Joseph...thanks for sharing the article...everyone should read it...it's pretty short...but very germane to this discussion...here is one line from the article.

"American companies are now so obsessed with profit maximization that they are content with millions of their full-time employees being below the poverty line (Walmart, Starbucks, McDonalds)"

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Sigh......Rusty, you're missing point. Go back and look at what I said said to David.....

quote:
My point is that the labor prices are market driven. And that is how it should be.
Do you understand now?

Like it or not, labor is a commodity. Meaning, it has a certain value based on need and commonality. There is a reason why gold is worth more an steel.

Does it take a special skill or knowledge to work at a Walmart? No. Therefore, it has a low value unless it is in short supply as demonstrated by Williston.

As for Joe's article by Henry Blodget, its stupid (no reflection on Joe).

Blodget consistently writes from left-wing perspective to play on the reader's emotions so as to promote what he believes to be Social Justice. In this article, he tries to take two bits of data (high profits and low wages as a percent of the economy) and make an emotional omlet. The truth is that one has nothing to do with the other.

Lets look at two claims that Blodget makes.

1) Walmart makes huge profits.

2) Walmart is happy to let full-time employees live below the poverty line.

Thus, his argument is that Walmart is greedy and if it was really a nice company that cared about people, it would share at least some of its profits with the employees and they wouldn't be in such dire straights.

Nonsense.

Lets look at the reality. Walmart's profit margins are between 3% and 3.5%.

Costco's (who appears to be everyone's hero) profit margin is roughly 1% below Walmart's.

This difference translates into roughly $2800 per employee.

Whoopee. The huddled masses would be rich and the economic disparity imagined by Blodget will magically disappear. (/sarc)

And you'd say, "Yeah, but that $2800 would be a big help to some families."

No. Not really. We're talking about a $1.45 an hour difference pretax. Take out that $2800 the taxes that both the employees and the company have to pay and the employee gets less than a dollar.

Wow. A life changing sum. Yep. That'll get those employees out from under the poverty line. Yessiree!

Walmart is in the retail business. The simple fact is that retail businesses have never paid anyone well. People with low skill gravitate toward it because it is easy work and doesn't require much education and knowledge. And as I said before, labor is a commodity. The more you have something of, the more common it is, the less it is worth. That is the cold, hard reality of it all.

Trying to make Walmart a villain and its employees victims doesn't help anyone, especially to any meaningful level.

If people want a truly better life for themselves, they have to increase their value by improving their education, their knowledge and their skill sets. Its their responsibility. Not yours. Not mine. Not the Government's. Its what I had to do. Its what you had to do.

[ February 12, 2013, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn,

You are my new hero.....Very well explained.....I guess it all has to do with the curve of supply and demand or, maybe vice-versa....It is very possible that, at this old age of ours, we may have forgotten the basic principles of Economics 101.

A very wise person said:

In microeconomics, supply and demand is an economic model of price determination in a market.

It concludes that in a competitive market, the unit price for a particular good will vary until it settles at a point where the quantity demanded by consumers (at current price) will equal the quantity supplied by producers (at current price), resulting in an economic equilibrium for price and quantity.

The four basic laws of supply and demand are:

If demand increases and supply remains unchanged, a shortage occurs, leading to a higher equilibrium price.

If demand decreases and supply remains unchanged, a surplus occurs, leading to a lower equilibrium price.

If demand remains unchanged and supply increases, a surplus occurs, leading to a lower equilibrium price.

If demand remains unchanged and supply decreases, a shortage occurs, leading to a higher equilibrium price.

Just saying......I thought this could help.

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Precisely.

The average sign shop employee in my area is paid about $9 an hour. My least paid employee is $14 an hour.

Why is it that I can afford to pay just a huge difference? Is it because I bow to the god of Social Justice?

Hardly.

The guy earning $14 an hour can do things the $9 an hour person can't.

[ February 13, 2013, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Taylor ]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

I deleted what I wrote here because sometimes I write stuff that really doesn't help...thank you "edit" button.

[ February 13, 2013, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!