Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » health hazards

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: health hazards
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering if any of you have had any health problems from all the solvents, plastics, etc., used today. I never have, but the stuff I use a lot has been mostly limited to a few simple things like turp, min spirits, oil paint, ink, a little varnish, shellac, etc.

I was in a body shop and auto painting place, just briefly one time, and thought that the atmosphere in there wd kill me in an hour.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist
san francisco, calif, usa

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Dupont introduced Imron, it took 3 weeks to kill a painter friend of mine that had sprayed nothing prior other than lacquer...urethanes today are at least 5 times as deadly.....back then a paper mask was sufficient, now a air tight suit is needed to afford a relatively safe atmosphere to spray modern products...not to mention the effects of other paint related products, such as cleaners...etc....

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about the chemicals but the clients have me mumbling to myself and fighting imaginary battles all the time,not to mention the arguments I have with the guy who lives in my head,...

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trouble is, many times we don't know what the problem is, until it's too late. Nowadays, everything is over-labled and over-regulated. If you read all the stuff posted, you could get seizures or hemmoragic stroke, from aspirin or TUMS.

Way back, there weren't warnings on cigarettes, or lacquer thinner, or paints (except FLAMMABLE).

I've known several guys over the years, who died as a result of spraying without adequate protection. Even in more recent years, Imron and others of those types of paint were sprayed with only a respirator. It wasn't known (or maybe wasn't publicized) that this stuff can go in through your skin.

I don't know that I've suffered from the use of that stuff, early on; but then, this brain damage had to come from somewhere........

[ July 22, 2010, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesnt matter you could spray this stuff wearing a nasa suit for your whole career and then die of second hand smoke or get run over by a street trolley

there are so many labels and warnings and other pointless junk on stuff now I pay no attention to anything. Who reads all that anyway? I think we are "OVERWARNED" on everything in this world

[ July 22, 2010, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: bruce ward ]

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Kiernan   Email Dennis Kiernan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"there are so many labels and warnings and other pointless junk on stuff now I pay no attention to anything. Who reads all that anyway? I think we are "OVERWARNED" on everything in this world"

It's the old story of the Boy Who Cried Wolf. Unfortunately, all the companies are forced to cry wolf all the time by the gvmt and the juries in civil cases, who have lost their common sense.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Posts: 907 | From: san francisco, ca usa | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had 2 really bad scares- 1) spraying a "new" airbrush cleaner- outside, well ventalated area: I have an immediate attack similar to an asthma attack- threw that stuff away real fast.
2) using the spray cans of expanding foam: again, outside, well ventalated area: used about 20 cans, ended up with a severe chemical burn to my bronchial tubes-not fun!

both instances I was wearing a "mask" but obviously not the right kind...

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xylene and Toluene in FirstStep sign primer....wicked stuff. Sandblasting with silica sand without adequate protection is a slow death sentence. Breathing HDU dust can't be good for you either.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Photoshop even has a warning that advises it's users to wear masks while airbrushing in their program...but I never do.

[ July 22, 2010, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rusty, you would be a fool not to use the mask function in Photoshop. It's there for a reason and the new CS5 has more filters which I assume are there for our protection.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When doing window splash before 2000 I used purple stuff as a window cleaner to help get paint off, had a large job to clean wind was blowing it back alot ended up with a severe rash on both hands and arms yuk took a month to rid of. egad it looked nasty

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rapid Tac to clean the glass safely Craig, call my office for free sample, then you'll see. He he he he 800-350-7751

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

I said I had never had any problems, but actually I'm not sure about that. A couple years ago I developed eczema on the back of my hands and I cant get rid of it. The problem is that there are many varieties of eczema, it has 100s of causes and the doctors cant tell which one it is and none of the popular cures, like cortisone, do the trick most of the time. Individuals say they cured their own case using anything from aloe vera to Chinese herbs, but they're all isolated cases.

So far, I've tried cortisone and later, tea tree oil which an Australian told me about. Did nothing.

As for the boy that cried wolf, you'll find artists, particularly young ones, who are deathly afraid of lead-based paint, or who equate linseed oil with petroleum and proudly say they use soy-based mediums. (Soy makes homely girls look beautiful, you know.)

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So does 3 or 5 doubles, Dennis! LOL!

Personally, I think a good dose of caution is warranted when using any of this stuff. Much of it is overblown. Many of us have used lead-based paints for most of our lives and not had any measureable effects from it. I say measureable because we are all different; some of us may be more tolerant (like alcohol), or maybe we take a little more pains keeping ourselves clean. I've seen some guys that wear their work. Can't be good. I've seen others spraying Lacryl with no respirator, while smoking a cigarette. Stupid for sure, but not much in ill effects, at least for quite a long time.

Our govmint is now in the process of telling us how much fat we can have, how much sugar we can have, what restaurants not to eat in, etc. One day soon, we may see Biden in a tyvek suit, giving proper instructions on how to shoot Imron.
I can't wait for that.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange Warning Labels

· On a blanket from Taiwan: Not to be used as protection from a tornado.
·
· Warning on fireplace log: Caution -- Risk of Fire.
·
· A warning on a pair of shin guards manufactured for bicyclists: Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover.
·
· Warning on an electric router made for carpenters: This product not intended for use as a dental drill.
·
· On a bottle of shampoo for dogs: Caution: The contents of this bottle should not be fed to fish.
·
· On a hair dryer: Do not use in shower.
·
· On Marks & Spencer bread pudding: Product will be hot after heating.
·
· On a string of Chinese made Christmas lights: For indoor or outdoor use only.
·
· On Sainsbury's peanuts: Warning: Contains nuts.
·
· On an American Airlines packet of nuts: Instructions - open packet, eat nuts.
·
· On some frozen dinners: Serving suggestion: defrost.
·
· On a hotel provided shower cap: Fits one head.
·
· On Nytol Nighttime Sleep-Aid: Warning: May cause drowsiness.
·
· Warning on a cartridge for a laser printer: Do not eat toner.
·
· A wheel 13" a wheelbarrow warns: Not for highway use.

· Can of self-defense pepper spray warns: May irritate eyes.
·
· Warning on a Conair Pro Style 1600 hair dryer: Never use while sleeping.
·
· Silly Putty package warning: Not for use as earplugs.
·
· On a bag of Fritos: You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside.
·
· Baby stroller warning: Remove child before folding.
·
· Household iron warns: Never iron clothes while they are being worn.
·
· A fireplace lighter cautions: Do not use near fire, flame or sparks.
·
· A handheld massager warns consumers: Don't use while sleeping or unconscious.
·
· Warning on underarm deodorant: Do not spray in eyes.
·
· Cardboard car sun shield that keeps sun off the dashboards warns: Do not drive with sun shield in place.
·
· Warning on a sharpening stone: Knives are sharp.
·
· Bottle water label warns: Twist top off with hands. Throw top away. Do not put top in mouth.
·
· On a box or rat poison: Warning: Has been found to cause cancer in laboratory mice.
·
· On a Domino's Pizza box: Caution: Contents hot!
·
· Toilet bowl cleaning brush warns: Do not use orally.
·
· An electric cattle prods warns: For use on animals only
·
· A can of air freshener warns: Keep out of reach of children and teenagers
·
· Cheap rubber ball toy warning: Choking hazard: This toy is a small ball.
·
· Caution on a package of dice: Not for human consumption.
·
· In the manual of a chainsaw: Do not attempt to stop the blade with your hand.
·
· Stamped on the barrel of a .22 caliber rifle: Warning: Misuse may cause injury or death.
·
· Instructions for an electric thermometer: Do not use orally after using rectally.
·
· On the wrapper of a Fruit Roll-Up snack: Remove plastic before eating.
·
· A TV remote controller warns: Not dishwasher safe.

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found out one time that sticking my thumb in the band saw blade was hazardous. I should sue somebody--I didn't see any warning signs.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David....I learned that lesson the same way!!!

OUCH OUCH!!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reminded me of the joke about the guy who got pain in his eye whenever he was drinking coffee.
When the doctor told him to take the spoon out of his cup, the pain cleared up.

Seriously, I read once about a type of lighting that somehow made a spinning table saw blade look frozen, stopped. And that this type of light is now outlawed in industrial settings. I've tried to find where I read this, but can't. I don't think I dreamed it.
If the story is true, then surely government intervention in this case was a good thing.

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eczema, all skin on hands disapeared, only thing I found helped permanently was carbamid cream, just cover them in it.Also good to put on before painting, it stops solvents getting into the poures of skin and make it easy to wipe the paint of with a damp rag.
Buy fastdrying no fat type

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago I was at a trade show. Bob Bond was there demoing pin striping. When someone asked him why he wasn't concerned about palleting his brush through his bare fingers with the One shot containing lead. He said that just a while back he got a heavy metals test because he had been handling lead paint for many years with his bare skin. He was worried that they would find a hefty concentration of lead in his system. His test came back 0.0 lead in his system. So I guess as long as you didn't drink the old formula, you are alright.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Us humans love to complain...I include myself...if there's nothing to complain about we will find something...personally I like being informed...I read nutrition facts, ingredients, and warnings...afterall this pertains to our health and safety...more information is a good thing to me...if all the warnings and such were taken off products I guarantee we would be complaining in the opposite direction...it's a part of our contentious stubborn human nature...of course some of us have it to a greater degree than others.

[ July 24, 2010, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Kiernan
Resident

Member # 12202

"if all the warnings and such were taken off products I guarantee we would be complaining in the opposite direction..."
Well, sure, but it all comes down to common sense. You can hardly enter a bldg anymore without seeing a sign that there are cancer-causing agents inside, so no one pays any attention to them. It's like the stupid burglar alarms on cars, that go off whenever a radio taxi passes by. Nobody even looks at the car with the alarm, except maybe the neighbor who was waked up at 2 a.m.

--------------------
dennis kiernan
independent artist

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Even as stupid as they sound...I'll bet many of the funny warnings that Si posted above are there because that company was sued over the same issue or similar in the past...we live in a crazy litigious society where sometimes even the most absurd lawsuit can win big money...I wouldn't be surprized if they exist as legal protections.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Dennis..."common sense" is only as good as the information you base it on...I still contend that more information is better...I want to be informed for the sake of my health and safety...antifreeze is very sweet tasting but I don't keep a jug in my frig for consumption because I've been warned against it on the label...you don't have to abide by warnings or even read them if don't want...but my "common sense" tells me different.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn, I think there is way more poisons in our food than in our equipment/paint. How many animals do we consume that may have cancers, and we'd never know about it. Just squish em' up and make em' them into burgers. Yummm yumm! "Yes, I'll have mine with some pee and pestiside laced lettuce". My liver doesn't have any problems dealing with paint fumes and dirty finger nails. As long as I don't overload it. I also concur with Dave story about Bob Bonds blood test.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a case by case thing. Not everybody reacts the same. Frank lost a friend to spraying Imron, yet there are probably hundreds or thousands of others that it hasn't affected. I had a customer a few years back that developed a reaction to urethanes and isocyanates. This guy ran an alignment shop. The only time he was ever around urethanes was when he had his race car painted yet he had a sever reaction to it and remained extremely sensitive to it. He would come into my shop and go "you've got freshly painted stuff in here, don't you?" these parts might have been painted over a week prior at another location but somehow it made him sick.
My best friend, Bob "Cos" Cosgrove had a reaction to spraying One Shot through an airbrush some years back that put him in the hospital.
Smoking causes lung cancer yet not everybody that smokes gets lung cancer.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!