Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Airbrush reccomendations for this painting.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Airbrush reccomendations for this painting.
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for responding! I want to purchase an airbrush and I know nothing about them so any advice on what to purchase? I will always use a brush but want to expand and I feel the mist on this waterfall will be a perfect place for some airbrush work. And maybe not?
Any name brands or sizes etc anyone recommend?
My eventual goal is to begin using it for all the things I see others doing with cars, bikes, helmets etc. [IMG]  - [/IMG]

[ April 13, 2010, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Brickman ]

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually suggest a Paasche VL kit as a first airbrush for a few reasons,

It's very affordable

It comes with 3 sets of tips, aircaps and needles that cover a broad range of diameter spray patterns

They are BULLETPROOF

Parts are readily available most anywhere

Most people never need any other airbrush, but if you start doing very fine detail work, you could move on to something more precise.

I have quite a few airbrushes, but rarely use anything other then the VL.

The only drawback to the VL, would be the size of it, they are larger in diameter than most and certainly heavier.

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 397 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, Thanks David!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have several Paasch VL's, many different size bottles also several Master model G23 from www.tcpglobal.com great airbrushes as well for the money available in a six pack set as well.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Thanks Len that site looks like a good one.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Len said, I believe over the years the Paache Airbrush like a lot of things, the quality somewhat deminished... but it's still a good brush.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like my Iwata HP-C Plus...Great work horse...I can spray Automotive, enamels as well as latex... I love the top load because of the easy cleaning between colours...It is an excellent work horse...I also Own the VL and like it, but I like the topload much better.

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Paache VL that was given to me and I find it heavy and clunky.

I much prefer Thayer & Chandler airbrushes. They are the ones that Iwata copied, still made in the USA, top quality and cheaper. I tried some Iwatas and the Thayer & Chandler Omni & Vega seemed to have a smoother trigger that didn't require as much finger pull to operate.

Coast airbrush has their Vega kit which is very similar to the Omni, comes with 3 different sized needles & tips, hose, bottles, wrench, side cup for $65.95. The Vega was my first dual action airbrush and I still use it. Here's a link.
http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=T63&cat=30

Edit: I agree with Pat, I like the top loading gravity feed airbrushes better than the siphon type.

[ April 13, 2010, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a fan of the Paache VLs- we have two, and I didn't start to enjoy airbrushing, or getting better detail & effects till I got something different. I wish I'd passed by the VLs 20 years earlier!

I much prefer the Badger 150 set - you can also get the three different sized tips & needles for it, just like the Paache sets. I prefer the feeling, shape & trigger action- all much better than the Paache, (imho).

Ahead of that I prefer the Badger Anthem 155 with the 2-stage tip.

For really fine stuff, the Richpen/mojo is nice.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Gregorowicz
Visitor
Member # 1842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Gregorowicz   Email Ed Gregorowicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a bunch of Paasche Vl's and 2 Talons.
I use the VL's for every day lettering stuff, and the Talons for more detailed projects. Unlike Ian, I started out with a Badger 150, and found a home with the Paasches. I got the opportunity to test the pre-production Talon and LOVE it... The action feels like it's on roller bearings, just silky smooooooth. The only downside(for me) of a gravity feed brush is that when you set it down to add a few brush strokes or whatever, paint can flow into the body, leading to splatters if you don't flush it with a blast before you resume painting.
The first step is to get one and start playing / learning what you can do with it. Like everything else in this business, If you wanna do it well, ya gotta wanna do it bad.
In the end, the most important decisions when it comes to airbrushing are made by the finger on the trigger. Just remember, have fun... I'd rather airbrush than any other aspect of this business.

Good luck!

[ April 13, 2010, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Ed Gregorowicz ]

--------------------
Ed
The Signwerks
1951 SR 254 Orangeville, Pa.

Posts: 199 | From: Orangeville, Pa. USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the end, it's just a tool- there are many different options depending on what you are planning to spray thru them. From the looks of your project, just about any of them would work just fine.

Most of my airbrush use is for t-shirts : I started with a Badger 150 and you couldn't force me to use one again... I bought a VL in 1985 (which is still in use) and that has been my workhorse of choice- I have about 14 or 15 of them that I have bought over the years for t-shirt airbrushing (one for each color speeds up the process). I also have a couple of Azteks, and a couple of single action Wrens, and a Iwata that I really like for illustration work.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I just happened to get two duds... [Smile]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

I just got back to the computor. Wow, I appreciate all the info from everyone.

Thanks!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another vote for the Iwata HP C. I've owned a number of Iwatas and of course a bunch of Vl's. The HP C is head and shoulders above the rest.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Badger 150 that I have been using for about 20+ years. I just buy new parts when needed and have used it for almost everything. Last weekend I did my first true fire flames job with it using some HOK colors. Still works great.

I will try an Iwata one of these days...but for now the 150 is running fine.

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

George and Dale thanks for the feedback. I think I will go with the Paasche Vl for the low cost and expand from there as I go.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two Paasche Vls which I have always struggled with. A couple of years ago I bought an Iwata and I love it.
Whatever way you choose, be meticulous about cleaning after each use!

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baty
Deceased

Member # 9776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Baty   Email Mark Baty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most important thing to know about any
airbrush model; is to clean it out with
thinner or water before you ever lay it down
with paint in it. Don't even answer the phone.
I have my favorite airbrush, that has worked
for 40 years, and I never lend it to anyone,
because they will argue the necessity of all
that cleaning.
Mark

--------------------
Mark Baty
Mark 1 Studio
1980 SE Leeann Drive
Waukee, IA 50263

Posts: 45 | From: Waukee, Iowa | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used all mentioned, prefer my Thayer-Chandler; for super fine work, I use my Wold...
I own Iwatas and VL's, use them off and on, mostly to stay in touch w/their touch, but the workhorse is definitely the T-C...the top feeds are my favorite type, also it's fun to play w/my turbine-wheel Wold, only good for water or ink work, but fun...lol

[Cool]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Thanks everyone!
I bought the Paache VL and pick up my compressor tomorrow. Will see if I can make do something worth while.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

I ended up with a Paasche VL and a nice little conpressor from Harbor Freight. Now to learn how to use it. Of course I am hoping to have it mastered in an hour or less, NOT!
Thanks again for the responses.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Ed Gregorowicz
Visitor
Member # 1842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Gregorowicz   Email Ed Gregorowicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have fun!

--------------------
Ed
The Signwerks
1951 SR 254 Orangeville, Pa.

Posts: 199 | From: Orangeville, Pa. USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a TC Vega, Iwata HPC and a Paasche all in box kits and hardly used. I bought them when each came on the market cept for the Paasche as I'd have to be 100. Email me if anyone is interested and I'll send photos when ya make me an offer. I have lots of tools I'll never use again

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!