Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Who owns the artwork?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who owns the artwork?
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our best customer, we designed a branding iron with alot of effects to use as a wall graphic.We get a call from their t-shirt guy to get the file so he can make shirts with it. Question, is it our customer who owns the artwork? Is it now a logo that needs to copyrited? Do we charge the shirt guy or the customer to give them the artwork?

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's yours. You charge the customer.
It's best to explain these things before it comes up.
Good Luck.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it discussed when the customer FIRST ORDERED IT? I always get that done BEFORE something like this happens, that way there is no question.

X amount for artwork PERIOD.

X amount for wall graphic.

X amount for truck lettering.

If they bought a logo from you in the first place, it would be THEIRS, since they bought it.

my 2 cents.

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, say you designed a cool restroom sign. Do you discuss with the client who owns the design rights to this sign. Down the road this guy wants to have another company mass produce this design for other stores. Do you just give it away? The client did buy the first one from you. I'm thinking you sold him the sign, not the design.

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee McKee
Visitor
Member # 3533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee McKee   Email Lee McKee       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put a disclaimer on your proof sheets. This will alieviate any question and because its on a proof sheet, the customer needs to sign it any way. Now if a customer wants to buy the art from your "Graphic Design Dept." That's great. After they pay for it they can do as they wish.

-

[ May 22, 2008, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Lee McKee ]

--------------------
Lee McKee
McKee Studios
Birmingham, Al
Planet Earth (sometimes)

Posts: 277 | From: Birmingham, Al | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Heller
Resident

Member # 2443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Heller   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Heller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely agree with Mike and Lee. If you have disclaimer on your proof sheets and your invoices, for small signs that won't require a proof, you're still covered.

--------------------
Rick Heller
Ohio Technical College
1374 E. 51st Street
Cleveland, OH 44103
IOAFS

Posts: 210 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Tom & Kathy,
Unless your invoice or purchase agreement provides for the transfer of ownership of the design, you still own it.
That being said, it may cause some hard feelings because the client may have "assumed" that when they purchased the sign, they purchased the artwork too.
To help reduce the potential of "hard feelings" with future clients, it's a good idea to add a copyright disclaimer to your invoice. It could be as simple as "this design remains property of Weber Hills Signs and can not be reproduced in any manner without written permision from the creator".
Although this has been debated before and I've been told I'm wrong for doing this, I do not transfer rights to reproduce my original designs when a client buys a product from me. It requires a seperate purchase agreement at a much higher price than the original sign or graphic because the client is now using it as a logo.
Another approach is to license the use of the design, similar to what Brian mentioned here...
http://www.letterville.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/50157.html#000004
Although I havent run into this situation yet, I would just charge 10% of the cost of the shirts to use the artwork.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Thanks guys. We have rethought this process and have put a disclaimer on both the estimate sheet and invoice. This particular graphic was a part of larger decorating project and we could never list or protray all that went into the project prior to decorating as we just "do" what we want, then bill them.

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom & Kathy,
You may want to do a search of this in Letterville. It has been discussed many times.

If it is for a good customer, and there has been enough money made on the rest of the job, I will sometimes (usually) allow the artwork to go out for a TeeShirt or menu.
I will not, however, convert it into anything other than a PDF file for them to use. It takes awhile to do conversions, so I will provide a disc, for a fee, usually around $100 for several formats - more if there is a lot of manipulating of the file to accommodate things like making it a Vector file from a Raster.

I just recently had an unpleasant episode with a "former" good client.
He found someone to make coroplast signs cheaper than I could - of COURSE they're cheaper - they didn't have to go through the design processes I had to with this client! We have done several modifications to this design over a period of a year. We've had hundreds of signs printed over the course of the years, each a different design (builder's roadside signs). We finally had the product he wanted. Printed it a few hundred times. Then he found the cheap guy.

I reluctantly released the artwork for that sign to him, with the express written notice that the release was for THAT sign ONLY! He was in a rush to get them printed, they've been having financial problems, and I was being "nice". I let him know that all of the other work that I have done for them, still remains MY property, and that I would consider selling him the rights on a piece-by-piece basis. There have been many signs for them over the years for many different properties.
I really just expect them to have them reproduced anyway, but I let them know, in no uncertain terms, that I was not releasing them for free.

Will I follow up the threats? Who knows, probably not - I've had a good run with them - and they may decide to come back to me when they see how hard it is to get good design from that hack!

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!