Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » July Health Stuff (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: July Health Stuff
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we are right smack in the middle of bathing suit season! How's it going everyone? [Smile]

My regular schedule was interupted somewhat lately. I had company for about a week that kept me hopping, chauffering them around to Disney, Shopping and the Beach. It was a full week, and I was more than ready to get back to my life when they left. hahaaaa (I needed a vacation from their vacation) [Smile]

They left on a Friday night, and by early Saturday morning I was out with a group of friends in my kayak. Freedom!!!!

Unfortunately, I threw my back out trying to mount my kayak up on my Trooper by myself. [Frown] Not a good idea. So, I've been suffering with some lower back pain for over a week now.

Still, I've been keeping up the best I can with some of my regular exercise.

This little setback reinforces to me that I can't be doing stuff that I can't do! hahahaaa
Recovery time is a bugger!

Hope you folks are fairing better than I am right now. [Smile]

~nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So once again you come up to Disney and don't call me!! HHMMMMM, I'm really starting to get a complex!!

I'm trying on the health stuff. That's about all I can say. No fun when I haven't got anyone to do things with. Can't get the family or friends to move around here!!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been so busy with company the last couple of weeks also.

I still managed to get a couple of rides in here and there.

Everyone is gone now, so I have been on the pedals the last couple days, and tallied 40 some miles.

Last nights ride was another great one. Pulled into the driveway just past 9pm, and it was still light out, with a beautiful sunset on the way. I was dodging large Drangonflys on the way home past the ponds.

Like Red in The Shawshank Redemption said, "get busy living, or get busy dying".

Peace out,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1875 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez nettie, I was startin' to get anxious over here waiting for you to start the thread this month.. [Smile]

I bought myself a heart rate monitor two weeks ago for my birthday so I could track things a little easier, or at least gain some insight to my fitness level.

So, in two weeks I have logged 15.5 hours of exercise and burned (supposedly) 8200 calories. The monitor has a calorie counter built into it which it calculates by comparing your age, weight (both of which are stored in the wrist unit) and heartrate/intensity over the amount of time spent exercising.

By using the heart rate monitor I was able to see why the burn sets in so quickly (1.5 mile mark, but I push through it) when I go inline skating - before I even hit the half mile mark my heart rate has climbed to 170bpm! D'OH! That's 90% of my max heart rate. Now I start off slower and build speed a bit more gradually which has actually kept the burn to a minimum for the whole time I skate even though I maintain the same speed as always.

My weight hasn't moved at all.

I also just played the company game, except I was the company. I went to visit my sister and decided beforehand to just relax while I was there, with my body needing some recovery time from exercising. She kept asking me what I wanted to do, I must have looked bored or something. "I just want to sit in the pool and watch the dogs swim and play. Then I just want to sit inside in the AC. Let's go to a movie one day, so we can once again, sit and relax." We did go to the Gaslight Theater one night, which is a little dinner theater type place that serves pizza and has comedy theater for entertainment - that was a good time, lots of laughs and we got to sit in the AC and relax. I'm an easy date. [Smile]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iam doin good, and have to go back in for bladder tumor surgury JULY 18 at jackson miss VA HOSPITAL. in may i had my 120 day(4 month)systo and they saw another small tumor.
this one should be no problems since i was being monitored for a reoccurance of the tumors. 50% to 75% of all bladder cancer cases will have a reoccurance with in 2-5 years.... so it should be a outpaient proceedure....and shouldnt slow me down to much.
other then that i feel great....

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i can fit into my fat jeans again...lol! i'd love to lose 10 more pounds(really 20 but lets be freakin real)...i hike around the property every day. my wrist is still not healed(gee i wonder why)...not like i let it rest...so its my own fault...life is busy as hell but very good.
my diet has been very healthy...even though i have ice cream daily...edys light...mint chip & chocolate silk are awesome!
i was happy to lose the extra set of nippleless tits i grew under the top pair...that sucked...i was like...wtf is this shyt...i hate fat rolls on myself. lets see oh yeah...tan fat looks better than white fat.
rock on boys and girls!

[ July 06, 2006, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: KARYN BUSH ]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh now I gotta clean chocolate whey protein shake outta my keyboard after reading Karyn's post.

Another thing I forgot to mention, and instead of editing my other post I'll just post again to bump the thread up [Smile] ..

Nike is now teaming up with artists to create music specifically for exercise. Example, the first track is by The Crystal Method, which I have now because they're one of my favorite groups. It's just one 45 minute long song that starts off slower for a warm-up, then picks up pace as it progresses, has some beats along the way great for a sprint, then a cool down at the end. It's really moving music, dance techno kinda stuff only not as annoying and repetitive as some of that stuff can get.

Nike and Apple have also teamed up to develop a sensor that goes into a specially designed Nike shoe. The sensor picks up on pace and movement then transmits that information back to a small receiver that plugs into your iPod, making it into a pedometer that talks to you, relaying your pace, distance, calories burned, etc. right through your earphones. It puts the information on the iPod screen as well. Some of the runners or joggers here might be interested in checking that out. I skate so I really have no use for it.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Karyn!

Been camping, sitting, eating smores, sipping back coolers. Add plenty of peanut butter to those smores btw.

I just got home for a night and am scared to step on the scale...

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Nettster, I been swimming at least four days a week here in the Illinois River just west of my pasture. Been working the early mornings then playing the rest of the day [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if it's true confessions here, I've got a half gallon of Roadrunner Raspberry Frozen Yoghurt to add to the mix. Yes, in one weekend, practically by myself. (I did let Dave have one small bowlful)

But hey, at least I'm doing alittle something to work it off. Went to a step class tonight. [Smile]

Oh yeah, did I mention the red white and blue fruit, jello and whipped cream thing I ate this weekend, ... and the piece of cheezecake ... um, ... sliver of apple pie, and another sliver of carrot cake. What can I say, it was a party, and I couldn't decide which dessert to eat. [I Don t Know]

~nettie

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joey, sounds like a good routine to me!

I love swimming, and have been doing more of it this summer so far, than I usually do. My mom has a pool at her condo, Dave has a pool, and the gulf temps are great right now. I actually bought a couple new bathing suits this weekend as I'll be wearing them out fast if I keep this up.

Swimming's a great way to be active without beating up on your joints!

~nettster [Smile]

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Ron Costa
Resident

Member # 3366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Costa   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Costa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick, Karyn, change yer picture. I got this visual I cant gey rid of!!

--------------------
Ron Costa Sign and Design
28 Ingerson Road
Jefferson, NH 0358

Posts: 620 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Ut-oh.. now the confessions come out... I have one.. err.. a few.. myself..

One day last week I went to a newer restaurant in town for lunch. The place is called Sugarbrook Bakery. Uhh-huh. It was my first time there and I heard they had good sandwiches - "good sandwich" is definitely an understatement, one of the best sandwiches I've ever had in my life, second only to Amighetti's in St Louis.

Well they put their pesky dessert case between the seating area and the door, conveniently at the cash register.

Bad... very bad..

I didn't get anything at that time.. oh no.. I left and ran some errands.. but I came back... and walked out with $20 in desserts. A couple carrot cheesecake muffins (carrot cake muffin with a cheesecake filling), a big honkin slice of cherry cheesecake, and a big slice of chocolate mousse cheesecake. Then the owner of the joint gives me two of these giant peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips, free of charge for first-time diners. Apparently that's what she does for all first-timers to get them addicted.

So.. lunch was my last real meal that day. I skipped the afternoon snack and dinner... then ate every last crumb of it all, after taking pictures of course, the convenient excuse for being a pig. [Smile] I also had my food portfolio with me and took the opportunity to flash some samples the owner's way - that strawberry shortcake photo brought her to her knees. Oh yeah, there will be some photography biz here, next step is to show the owner my shots of *her* food and really set that hook.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you guys crack me up. you all have fattening desserts to tempt us with!
Hey they have a great ultrasound test to check all the arteries so us artists (and curious folks) can see a picture of our inner workings: isn't it cool? And, it's something more folks should know about if you're really not going to take the docs opinions. Yesh, be proactive with your health and more picky than picking on your signs. Love yourselves!!!!!!!happy kayaking, Nettie!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Yep Deb I have had the ultrasound test done on my legs the first time I had cellulitis, to check for any possible blood flow obstructions. It's because of this test, which came back clean, that I got to keep both of my legs instead of getting one amputated.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Mike. Now, I'm glad I posted about the test. The docs don't. Did you guys hear what Mike said!
I'm still waiting on my results, but, like my sis said: "so, Deb, what are you going to do to change your lifestyle, no matter what the test says?"
There's plenty, but, just having the visual test is helpful to me, and an incentive for my friends and family as a precautionary measure. I lost several friends to them finding out too late, or they are living with triple bypasses. I want to be around for a long, long time.
Oh btw, I had the test on my neck arteries, heart arteries, abdominal arteries and my ankle arteries. I'm in between insurances and, I only paid $60 bucks for the entire screening! It usually runs over $250, and some hospitals run them for $160 special. You can have each test done individually if you're not interested in paying the entire amount, but, I had mine done with the students from the medical school along with the instructor, so it was done properly. $60 is really a deal!

[ July 07, 2006, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Deb Fowler ]

--------------------
Deb Fowler

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't have time to read all the post right now. Just want to check in. I lost about 4 lbs from June 1 to July 2...not really following any diet. Then I decided to pick up the SOUTH BEACH DIET book again and start following it. I've lost 5 lbs in 4.5 days. May not be the 20 that I wanted in 2 months but its a start.

[ July 07, 2006, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Laura Butler ]

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still smoke free. Haven't snuck nary a one. Nope. None.

Hell, I am amazed.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm baking a cheesecake, does that count? LOL Nope, didn't think so.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Only if you share the recipe with us Kimberly!
Glad to see you posting on this thread.
[Smile]

I've been really beating myself up good lately.
Yesterday, I dropped a 4'x4' mdo sign right on my two twos. I had run out in some pouring rain in an effort to get them into the shop, and BONK, right on my bare foot!

It's turning all kinds of cool colours already.
(blues and purples)

Despite the injury, I did manage to shove my foot in my sneaker this morning, and make it to the gym. Surprisingly, it's not hurting as much as it did yesterday already. My back ache is still there tho. I think that's going to take a little while to get back to normal. [Frown]

I stopped at the produce stand on the way home from the gym this morning. Bought a bunch of nice fresh stuff. Gotta detox from last weekend. LOL [Smile]

Although, I certainly wouldn't pass up a piece of Kimberly's cheezecake, given the chance. [Smile]

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
~nettie

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm jumping on the band wagon because my blood pressure is not coming down even with the meds. So here's whats going on.

I already have cut back on meat and increased vegetables, and fruit from almost zero to 2 to 4 servings a day.

Now I'm adding water ( I was never a water drinker when I could have coffee or soda pop) cutting way down on anything white, and walking at least a half hour a day. Got me a Cross Bow (similar to a Bow Flex) so the exercise is starting. (Cleared by my Doc)

Now I'm adding Hawthorn root and CoQ10 as both are natural ways to lower blood pressure. I'm hoping to get it under control so I can get off the prescription meds aka poison!

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5400 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right Dave! I'm glad to hear you getting so proactive in your own health and wellbeing!!!

I have two friends right now that are battling high blood pressure. Actually, one of them just found out she had a problem, the other one has just been winning the battle. They wanted to put her on meds too, but she told them she wanted to get it down herself. And so she did! It took alittle while, but her blood pressure is low normal now! YAHOO! She just found out those results last week.

She is now helping our other friend in her quest to stay off the meds.

My blood pressure has always been very low. I see it creeping up just a tad now ... still low normal, but hey, I don't like seeing that creeping up action at all.

Sodium is in everything! Eating out is just ridiculously salty! It will be beneficial for you to read lables. Check out the sodium in some cereals ... crazy, a place you wouldn't think it would be an issue.

Anyway, eating fresh is the best way to go. Fruit and veggies whenever possible. There are ways to make them interesting and tasty.

Good luck Dave! It sounds like you got a good grip on the driver's wheel!
~nettie

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheesecake is my Kryptonite.

Well here is what 9pm looks like, at the end of a long ride, the waxing gibous moon leads the way home. Two miles to go, and all down hill,..get off the saddle, get on the pedals, and fly down that hill,.....stand-up the last 1/2 mile and coast, ahhhhhhh,, peace and tranquility, this is what it's all about. Everything else in life is secondary.

-

Peace out,
Bob

[ July 09, 2006, 03:21 AM: Message edited by: Bob Kaschak ]

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1875 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janette - Gulf Water Temp. was 89 degrees in Panama City Beach the day we left - was in upper 80's all week - unusually high -

--------------------
Carl Wood
Olive Branch, Ms

Posts: 1392 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Yummm. I just finished off a quarter watermelon by myself. (no I didn't eat the seeds!) It's a natural diuretic! My grandma taught me that. I keep my blood pressure at a norm with eating smaller meals. No meds yet.
Now, I'm going crazy waiting for my ultrasound artery test results, darn the 4th of July had to give people off work, oh well....they needed it1
eating mostly fruits and veggies and detoxing a lot more lately....good luck, Dave
Has anyone heard of aged garlic keeping blood pressure down? My sis did some studies and found that...maybe it's true, can't hurt anyway.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

I eat so much garlic, when I do cardio you can smell it comin' outta the pores!

I had wild salmon for dinner tonight, picked it up from the grocery store. Man that is some good stuff, way better than farm raised.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my 2nd degree Goju Ryu Karate black last month. Now I haven't been back since, well except once. Just got in from vacation yesterday and stood on the scales this morning and pretty near had a heart attack. OK its time for me to buckle down here. But I need incentive. Anyone want to lose weight with me? I need to lose about 20 lbs. to feel ok about myself- 25 to feel attractive. Maybe if I had a diet buddy it would help.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Deri, congrats on your success in karate! Wow, what an accomplishment, lady!

Mike, the garlic is good, yummm especially roasted garlic, but the "aged" garlic is different. I wouldn't try aging it yourself cause it would dry up if you leave it out. I'm not sure how they do it, but would be interesting so we could just have it handy from our own kitchens. Have you tried scallion garlic? It looks like scallion onions, but is wonderful and potent right out of the garden. I can feel the difference when eating it in my food fresh opposed to something sitting around on a grocery shelf or kitchen. The fresh makes my joints feel good all over.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Nope Deb I haven't tried scallion garlic. I didn't know there was such a thing - fresh stuff is great but grocery stores don't have all the cool stuff.

I've been on a rotisserie kick lately. I've put the Foreman grill away in the cabinet and put the rotisserie oven in its place on the counter. I forgot how good everything is when ya spin it, nice and moist, all the flavors just building.

Sunday I made a lime marinade - dropped a lime into the blender, added a little sugar and tequila. Put some shrimp in a ziplock bag, pour the marinade in and let it sit for a while. That was tasty after the rotisserie, but I think the tequila could be skipped. Didn't seem to be much tequila flavor, must have cooked out. Next time I think I might add some cayenne pepper.

I've been eating tons of Rainier cherries too. They're on sale for $1.99/lb (usually $7 or $8) These things are like candy from a tree, they're so sweet.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spent the weekend camping and did good staying on the South Beach Diet. Of all the diets that I have been on, this one is the easiest and I can see the rewards immediately. I am down 9 lbs since I went on it July 1...for a total of 13 since June 1st. I can't believe how much better I feel.

Dave, you need to get the South Beach Diet book. The author talks about how his diet gets the blood pressure down.

The whole idea about his process is to keep your blood sugar levels as even throughout the day and to try to keep the foods going thru your system as slow as possible so that you don't get the cravings that wreck havoc on our sugars levels.

I don't have any food cravings now...especially sugar. I may make 20 lbs by July 31. Hooray.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

My craving of choice lately has been cherries and strawberries. I always eat alot of strawberries though.

I can pop down more cherries in no time flat than anyone. Love 'em! 2.99 lb here, but I think I'd buy them at almost any price.

I did my pilates and my weight training classes yesterday. My back seems to be feeling stronger. I"m happy about that.

I'm definately not going to be missing my biking this week! [Smile] Great photo Bob! Isn't it wonderful to be able to do something physically that you enjoy so much?

Life is good!

~nettie

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Richard Flint
Visitor
Member # 6602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Flint   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Flint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BEER
The source of all the world problems
...and the answer to them!

--------------------
Rich Flint
FLINT SIGNS
6 Holbrook Road
Oxford, Massachusetts
rich@flintsigns.com

Posts: 90 | From: Oxford, Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Nettie, I will take you up on that cherry eating challenge. I eat so many cherries, I laugh myself to sleep. You knew that cherries produce laughing gas when you eat too many, right? [Smile] I have to take a handful of cherries and eat just that because if I eat from the bag, I can empty it without even blinking an eye.

Laura, keep it up! The whole 3 square meals a day thing is seriously flawed.

I eat on average 7 times a day, smaller meals, of course. 8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm. No carbohydrates (ie: starchy veggies) after 12pm.

Constant feeding whether you feel hungry or not will keep you from getting hungry and binging, plus it's easier for your metabolism to burn right through the fuel as opposed to hitting a brick wall.

Yeah, you'll feel like you're always eating something and it can be a pain to work life around a regular feeding schedule (making sure work doesnt interfere with the main meals and that you have fruits, veggies and other healthy snacks with you all the time) but you gotta do it for it to work.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Richard I think you're right. Beer is probably my biggest problem. Not the drinking part ( I can drink, no problem)its the calories part.

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decided I was going to start forcing myself to the gym June 1st, which I did. Only lost a couple pounds, but firmed up a lot, lost a bunch of inches & could really feel the strength difference in my arms & legs. July 1, I was edge sealing a 6' square sign, laying flat on a table & reaching for the center, could feel the difference in my calves, it felt great.

Then the rest of that weekend started July 4th, which is bigger than Christmas for me. I decided I'd take that week off cause with all the running around, I'd just get cranky if I tried to force working out into it. Besides, I can't eat most of the picnic foods thanks to the braces, so I'd be safe.

Well, now if I could just get myself re-motivated... working on getting a friend of mine to start working out with me, figure if I *have* to meet her at whatever time, I'll feel awful if I cancel on her so that'll force me to go.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Kissy, ya oughta find a physical activity you actually enjoy and go for it.

Then again, when I was 12-13 my mom was into powerlifting competition and dad was into working out. I was a member at the gym then too but didn't really enjoy it and quit. Now 17 years later there's no place I'd rather be than at the gym lifting weights but I have to force myself to *not* spend the whole day there.

Just remember, weight loss is 90% nutrition. Exercise doesn't burn much fat directly. You *might* burn about a pound worth of fat calories for every 10,000 calories of exercise you do, and that's a whole lot of exercise.

It's faster and easier to knock out 500 calories/day of excess food. That *does* translate directly into 1 pound per week, however if lifting weights it's easy to put that much back on just in the water weight required to repair muscles, resulting in a steady weight or possibly a weight that can vary as much as 10lbs from day to day.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Jen Goodwin
Visitor
Member # 3757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jen Goodwin   Author's Homepage   Email Jen Goodwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to say "Go Laura!" I have been on the SBD for over a year and I will never eat any other way now. Lost more than I want to admit. [Wink] (It works! Stick with it!)
Mike...I chimed in because I don't think from what you posted that you fully understand the SBD. It's all about eating small meals throughout the day just as you described...not 3 square! I'd recommend it to anyone.

Also, for the most part a lurker here, I would like to say Thanks to Nettie and Mike for the health thread every month. [Smile]

Oh...and Karyn...you crack me up!

--------------------
Jen Goodwin
Goodwin Glass & Graphics
Hampden, Maine 04444

Posts: 44 | From: Hampden, Maine | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

14 lbs today. So far on Phase 1 I am losing about a lb a day. No other diet did this for me. No weighing, no measuring, I eat as much as I want, when I want. I don't even miss the chocolate...too much. Just the thought of eating ice cream almost nauseates me and I was an ice cream eater.

Now I will sit down at night and have a big bowl of ricotta cheese with some lemon juice and sweetner. Tastes like cheese cake. Sometimes I'll even mix an egg in with it and bake it in the micro wave.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Jen Goodwin
Visitor
Member # 3757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jen Goodwin   Author's Homepage   Email Jen Goodwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can have the chocolate back in P2!
(dark and in moderation anyway!)
I lost a total of 14# in P1, so you are doing great!

--------------------
Jen Goodwin
Goodwin Glass & Graphics
Hampden, Maine 04444

Posts: 44 | From: Hampden, Maine | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saturday will mark my 7th month without a cigarette.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!