Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » July Health Stuff (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: July Health Stuff
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow you guys are doing great.

My weight is starting to creep back up, but I think I said that last month, didn't I? LOL

Extra congratulations to Bruce and Don for staying off the cigs! I know it is a hard thing to do. It will be 10 years for me on Sept 1. Whenever I feel tempted (which is almost never) I just remember that I don't ever want to have to quit again. Good on ya!

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jen, oh yeah I know about the smaller meals in the SBD. My comment about 3 squares was referring to the misinformation bred into us for ages, and affirming that the small meals are definitely the right way to go. [Smile]

I also eat whatever I want.. of course what I want happens to be fruit, veggies and low fat dairy. [Smile] I get my quota of chocolate with fat free sugar free choc pudding and chocolate whey protein meal replacement shakes - a little skim milk or yogurt, ice (using a blender) the powder, a little malt powder for flavor and a teaspoon of cocao powder (good for you) - mmmmm.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jen Goodwin
Visitor
Member # 3757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jen Goodwin   Author's Homepage   Email Jen Goodwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool Mike!:)I did see that you told her to keep it up, so I wasn't sure if I just misunderstood that.

--------------------
Jen Goodwin
Goodwin Glass & Graphics
Hampden, Maine 04444

Posts: 44 | From: Hampden, Maine | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,
How much have you lost so far?

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, I do enjoy working out but my issue is getting there. If I have work that needs done, I feel guilty leaving or I do the "well, I'll get this done, then I'll go" and once that is done, there is something else that needs done before I leave. If I'm suppost to meet someone at whatever time, I'd feel like garbage for not showing up which is why I'd love a work-out buddy. That damn work ethic of mine [Bash] you don't go off to play when there is work to be done.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kissymatina:
you don't go off to play when there is work to be done.

I do! You should try it some time! [Smile] The work will be there tomorrow, exercise will ease the stress today.

Of course, if you've promised something out on a certain day then yeah, do what you gotta do to get it done.. but maybe think about easing up on the schedule a little bit, give yourself an extra day or so to get a job done so you don't feel like you have to skip working out.

Take care of yourself first, others come second... and this comment is coming from one of the biggest (ex) people pleasers on the planet.

Laura, it's hard to say. When I started in January 2004 I lost 100lbs by September. I'm actually heavier now with a lot more muscle mass but much leaner and continuing to lean out. The scale is holding pretty steady and while I'd like to see it drop, I'm not going to stress over it because I know I'm living a pretty healthy lifestyle.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm down 63 pounds since my blood pressure panic in August. Thank you Jenny Craig. Not really following the program now, just using the things I learned.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dennis, 63lbs! Holey Moley!
I didn't think you had that to lose!

Congrats on meeting your goals!

~nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Congrats Dennis! You gotta feel 500% better!

I've decided to take all next week off from all exercise. I feel great but I just realized that aside from taking 2 days off each week, I haven't taken any breaks from the gym or other exercise the entire past year and that's a bit excessive.. should have been taking a week off every 8 weeks. Plus, I'm going to give another weightlifting technique a shot and this plan starts off with a week of rest before running you through the ringer. [Smile] It's a good thing there are so many different theories out there when it comes to weightlifting, there's never a shortage of plans to try out when you mix things up every few weeks.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monday I start...self-denial...it's a tough thing to combat.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just gonna make the 50th post on the health thread! WOOHOO!

Glad to see some folks sharing on here with us.
I can't imagine a bigger priority than taking care of our health.

I just learned this week that my brother in Canada, who is 59, just had a TIA. More commonly known as a Mini Stroke. 40% of the people who have experienced a TIA are likely to go on and have a full blown Stroke. I'll be sending info to him on it, and will be checking in on him frequently about his lifestyle habits. But you just can't always help people who aren't willing to take the steps to help themselves. It can be frustrating. [Frown]

I went to my 30th class reunion mixer yesterday, and had some fun. Most everyone recognized me, (unbelievable) but I was very grateful for those little name tags with people's "back then" photos on them. Wow ... quite some changes a few years can make on some folks. [Eek!] Some good and some not so good.

I'm please with myself because I didn't get in, and to bed until 2am, yet still managed to make my 9:30 weight class this morning. hmmmm, might have had something to do with that gal at the reunion who hadn't aged 10 seconds since highschool, and in fact is in the best shape ever. What's she do now? Why, she's a personal trainer at Bally's Fitness. [Cool] Pretty darn cool. I got inspired. [Smile]

I noticed another classmate of mine at the gym this morning too. We had a good chuckle as we compared notes about last night. hahaha, looks like a class reunion is a good motivator for exercise. My advice is to hit the gym more BEFORE the reunion. [Smile]

Keep it healthy folks. It'll just make everything else in life better.
~nettie

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stepped on a scale for the first time in two years --- Yikes! Time to stop blaming the washer for shrinking pants.

210 lbs...

For the first time in my life I'm contemplating diet... SBD sounds like a good place to start (except for the no beer bit !!!)

Ah well ... target 175 , going to pump up the bike tires now.

Bi-weekly progress reports - no!

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck Mike...210 isn't so bad - if you're 6'3".... [Razz]

How tall are ya?

I'm guessing you're about 5'11".....

I'm just a smidge under 6' - 5'11 1/2" (used to be 6 even, but my spine isn't what it used to be)...and weigh just about 209.

I'd like to go for about 185....that would be an excellent goal for me to hit.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Gill:
Heck Mike...210 isn't so bad - if you're 6'3".... [Razz]

Jeez... my lean mass (if I could hit 0% bady fat) weighs more than you guys. [Smile]

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same height as you it seems Todd...
Peaked at 6' probably 5'11½" now...

Was skinny most of my life ~150, graduated in 1973 at 150, jumped to 165 in 89 when I started with xerox (8 months in training, living in hotels), slowly went to 185 from there and have mysteriously gained about 25lb in the past 2 years, unfortunately it's all settled on my gut [Frown]

I'm fairly active, walk daily, and in reasonable shape but want to shed the spare tire. I blame it on spending more time behind desk as my roll within my shop changes, more administration as shop grows and less hands on. Seem to be eating more restaurant food lately as well.

Time to change something before I have a serious problem...

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jen Goodwin
Visitor
Member # 3757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jen Goodwin   Author's Homepage   Email Jen Goodwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how hard giving up the beer is, Mike…I love the stuff. I brew my own. I haven’t had a beer since January, even though I just bottled a killer wit!
Even if all you do is cut back on the beer and follow the SBD, you will see results. After you go through phase 1, you can add wine back to your diet. (or champagne…or mead! Yeah, I make that too.)
Not only will you see results in weight loss, but better cholesterol numbers, better blood pressure numbers and better overall health. I had high blood pressure for the first time in my life last year, to the point of needing medication. But I decided to go it on my own. I am proud to say that the SBD lowered my numbers into the healthy range (perfect range actually!) in 3 months.

--------------------
Jen Goodwin
Goodwin Glass & Graphics
Hampden, Maine 04444

Posts: 44 | From: Hampden, Maine | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
17 lbs since June 1. 4.5 lbs from June 1 to 30th, then went on SBD for the first time and have lost another 12.5lb in 16 days. Iwas losing almost a pound a day on Phase 1. Its now time to go to Phase 2 but I don't want to. Too many choices and afraid of getting back into eating sweets and carb from white flour. Besides I like the foods allowed on Phase 1.

I went on my first diet long before some of you were born. Believe when I say that SBD is the greatest.

Only 3 more lbs to make my goal of 20 lbs by the end of July. Boy do I feel better already.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Okay,

4 days into SBD (started Sunday)

Miss fruits the most, followed by toast in morning. How important are the snacks, to be honest I'm not usually a snacker, and I'm nut hungry other than regular mealtimes.

Seem to be adding more salt onto food, but no real cravings so far.
Going for small road trip tomorrow (back saturday), gonna be interesting trying to stay onboard while on the road... I'll get there

-

[ July 19, 2006, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Mike O'Neill ]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Mike,

Absolutely do NOT skip those "snacks". Start calling them meals because that's what they are, and eat them even if you don't feel hungry.

Whether you split it up into six 250 calorie meals or three 400 calorie meals and two 150 calorie meals (snacks) is up to you, just do not skip any of them and if you miss one, that's it, you do not get to "make it up" at the next meal.

The reason being, the smaller meals help control your blood sugar which in turn keeps hunger pangs away. If you are not feeling hungry, that's good. It means your blood sugar is under control, if it wasn't you would be feeling hungry, tired or light-headed.

Smaller meals also allow your metabolism to convert the food into energy more efficiently. If you eat smaller meals, the metabolism can burn right through them in short order and keep on truckin, then the metabolism will remain ramped up afterwards because the body knows more food is on the way shortly.

If you dump a large amount of food on the metabolism at once, that slows the metabolism down because it has to put more energy into converting the food. Then if the body knows it's going to be 6 hours before it gets more food, the metabolism STAYS slow to conserve energy!

This is why I try to stay on a pretty rigid feeding schedule - 8am, 10am, 12 noon, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm. Seems like I'm always eating something.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SBD Diet (Are you talking South Beach Diet?)

Well, I lost 14 lbs doing the DDD (Dave Draper Diet)
I'm at 150lbs now being 5'6" tall.

walk 2 miles every day (or 30 to 35 min.)

Eat what I want, when I want modestly the first day.
(avoiding sodium at every resonable chance) (like skipping french fries with the burger)no ham or "bacon (well, I cheat a little, but very little)

Then fasting the next day...or eating considerably less.

Then back to eating what I want the third day, modestly.

And so on every other day, fasting,eating,fasting...

Basically, I don't eat 182 days out of a year on the DDD plan. The other 182 days I don't much worry about what I eat.

I have cut way back on red meat and replaced it with American Bison. We actually have bought a quarter buffalo from the butcher and will have it tucked away in our freezer next week. Cost about $300.00 for 3 large brown paper grocery store bags filled to the top. All cut to our specifications.

My blood pressure has dropped from 156/97 to 143/88 WITHOUT going to the doctor and going on HBPmeds....that savings alone has paid for the 1/4 Bison cuts! [Smile]

I won't live forever, but I'll feel a heck of a lot better till I die! [Smile]

In my opinion, diet plans, diet foods, low cal this low carb that....just doesn't make sense and the diets are too hard to follow and too discouraging to find food you can actually eat.

In my observation, watching overweight people buying all that diet stuff at the supermarket, makes me wonder why...because it isn't helping them at all to lose weight! [I Don t Know]

This has been an encouraging post, and congratulations to all those here who have worked so hard to stay healthy. [Applause]

[ July 20, 2006, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: Dave Draper ]

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

I don't know anything about the SBD.
No fruits??? Ouch! That's temporary I hope. I don't think I'd like that very much.

I had my mom's 80th last weekend.
I bought her a fabulous cake called Raspberry Elegance Cake. A gazillion layers with white cake and raspberry. A decadently rich cream cheeze frosting. Very RICH!

There were 3 peices left over, and no one wanted to take them home, so they ended up with me.
They are history now! [Smile]
I've experienced a sugar overload this week!

Needless to say, I probably have alittle extra weight to ditch now. I'm back to eating how I normally eat and kickin it up abit with the exercise.

Congrats to those who are lightening up in whatever way you are choosing to do it. I just hope you are all able to keep it off. Is the SBD a way of eating that you could continue life long, or is it just a way to jump start some quick weight loss? In other words, is it something you stay on, or go off of after you reach your target weight?

Don't forget the exercise! Gotta tighten up all that weight you are losing! (especially at our age) [Smile]

Good show folks! This is so encouraging to read!
~nettie

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

I can NOT wait 'til Monday!!

I decided to take this week off from all exercise for much needed recovery, and I'm about to lose my mind!

The part about not going out to exercise I can handle OK. Since I usually exercise early in the morning I can just let myself sleep in until 7am and it's not like I'm having to resist getting out the door.

The problem is by 7pm I'm bouncing off the walls with too much pent-up energy. I've even started tearing into some of the projects that have been gathering dust for a while but they're just not doing the trick. I'm sure the neighbors just love that I'm out in the garage til midnight working on stuff with tools and hammers. At least now the water pump on my truck is going out so replacing that will keep me busy for another couple hours. [Smile] I think I just might replace all the other belts, hoses and timing chain just for the heck of it. [Smile]

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Jonathan Androsky
Visitor
Member # 2806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonathan Androsky   Email Jonathan Androsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last week in June, the family and I went backpacking. This should have been an easy 27 mile deal over 3 days. When I was all done, I felt like I got hit by a semi.

WTF?!? I usually pack a-lot, and farther and faster too! Then I stepped on a scale and noticed that I was carrying an extra 20 lbs. since last summer. Again, WTF?!?

So now I've been on the Sonoma Diet for 9 days. I love it. The food is excellent, and I'm not any more hungry than usual. (I'm hungry ALL OF THE TIME, you see) I've dropped 12 lbs. so far, but I need to drop another 18 before I stop feeling like a loaf. The one thing that is killing me is the "no booze" for the first 10 days thing.

--------------------
Jon Androsky

Posts: 438 | From: Williamsport, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

One question : Has anyone tried the Double Stuff Oreo's diet?

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

June 1st I decided that I was going to try and get 20 lbs of by a meet in California July 26th that I am going to.

Well, I did it. 19.75 lbs...close enough. Now only 114 lbs more and I will be at the weight when I had my first child. The most that I have ever taken off at one time was 28lbs. Yipppe!!!

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Good job laura.

Todd, I had Oreos last night but they were the original ones. [Smile]

This morning I woke up at 252lbs. Then I went to the gym to work the back, biceps and forearms for 30 minutes, then I did a 30 minute skate after that. Came home, showered and weighed in again - 246lbs... It's all water loss of course, but that's including 70oz of water I drank while exercising, for a grand total of 10.5lbs lost through perspiration.

[Smile]

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

This is cool, it's almost August, and we are still keeping the July Health thread alive!
I'm really glad to see more people sharing their health news with us here.

I took my kayak up to Rainbow River, (2 hours north of here) and had a wonderful paddle with a large group of friends. I plunged into fresh clear 72 degree water. brrrrrr Talk about refreshing! Woke me right up! [Smile]

I've started taking Pilates twice a week now, instead of just once. This is my second week into it and it's been making a difference. I really feel great afterwards.

I have decided to do my weight class twice a week now too.

A special Congratulations to Laura for meeting her goal. I know how hard it is to lose weight, and I encourage you to keep going and check in with us with your progress.

We're all here to inspire, support and encourage each other. (To get on each other's butts if we have to too.) HAH! [Wink]

Cheers!
~nettie

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Jonathan Androsky
Visitor
Member # 2806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonathan Androsky   Email Jonathan Androsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feeling pretty OK today. I'm down to 199 from 215.

For those of you looking at the South Beach diet but are mourning the loss of fruit. I encourage you to give the Sonama Diet a look. After the first ten days the plan includes fruit and wine. I very much enjoy good food, and have always had troubles sticking to a diet as most of them completely cut out something that I really enjoy, i.e. fruit. The Sonoma Diet is working well for me.

The only drawback, and I don't personally consider it one, is the need to actually COOK. Most recipes require at least a moderate competence in the kitchen, there are very few extra simple super quickie meals.

--------------------
Jon Androsky

Posts: 438 | From: Williamsport, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last nights bike ride was awesome.

The kind of night that takes you back to being 16 years old. The smells, the sounds, and everything.

A few good descents down those big hills, hitting the pockets of cool air on the way down, ahhhhhh, it lets you know you're alive.

I didn't pull back into the driveway until 9:40 pm.

If I could have bottled-up the night, I would have.

I have been putting some miles on the bike this month, and it feels great.

Here are a couple of photos from last night's ride of the same sunset taken about 20 minutes apart from 3 different locations.

-

-

-

Keep turnin'

Peace out,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1875 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A month ago I started pushing away from the table a little earlier.So far my blood sugar has dropped from 9.5-10 down to 6.3-7.1.Started to eliminate junk a little at a time and that seems to be working.I'm sleeping better and have more energy to play with.I would like to take 30 pounds off by October when I go to Coldlake Alberta to see my son and do some fishing.do it [Bash] [Bash]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been biking my buns off and racing/training with my team again. Have a few upcoming races I'm trying to get in shape for.

In the last 4 weeks, I've logged 450 miles. Sadly, I still suck!!

But getting stronger each week. The one race I want to do well in is 1st week in Sept so I have another 4 solid weeks of training.

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

I'm hanging in there... Sunday will be 2 weeks and end of Phase I. I can reintroduce fruit, and some carbs, and wine [Smile] ... been a dry 2 weeks -ha.

10 lbs down so far, still can't get the hang of eating snacks between meals, usually when I think of snacking I'm either to busy or nowhere near food... Probably not drinking enough water, although I am drinking much more than before and less coffee.

Other than that it hasn't been too bad, I tend to eat a lot of salads & veggies anyway, eating in restaurants has been challenging, but I've found most will serve some sort of salad with either white chicken or lean ham.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't chime in with health posts usually.

But I have been doing well lately..I'm 6'2" (or maybe 6' 11.5" now) currently weighing in at around 185-190. My high weight was around 220 a year ago. The beer belly is gone as much as it can at age 62 (in 3 days)

All I did was cut back on the beer (wonder why they call it a beer belly??? LOL) and spend 2 months of "off work" time doing a renovation project.

Blood pressure is good, blood sugar is excellent and cholesterol is fine, as of my last checkup 3 weeks ago.

I AM on medications for all three but previously the meds were fighting a tough battle. Since losing a few pounds, I have been able cut back on dosages and still maintain good levels.

I have no intention of becoming an Adonis at my age, but it feels good to see a flatter belly!

Keep up the good work all you young farts! [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8885 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still smoke free. Some days it is tough not to reach for a pack of smokes but I have resisted so far.

Strength of will is a big help but so is the fear of Dana sticking cigarettes where they ain't supposed be... [Wink]

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Antonelli:
In the last 4 weeks, I've logged 450 miles.

Come on man, I can cover that on inline skates. [Smile]

You're probably just not pushing yourself hard enough then not getting enough recovery time. You gotta push so you hurt the same evening of the day you rode, not hurting til the next day isn't pushing enough. Then you get a full one or two days to recover. My dad liked to do triathalons and I'd train with him when he rode. We'd ride 50 miles 3 times a week, making it a point to beat our previous time every time we rode. Continuously shaving a minute or two off the time each outting starts to add up to some major speed improvements.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you Mike -- Coach has me on base miles for now, with nothing over 150bpm, except for our Wednesday night races. We're slowly upping intensity---

You know the deal - time on the bike is what it takes. Finding a lot of it is the real challenge.

I'm off now to slam in a 20 miler. Thats what it comes down to - that hour or so to punch in something--- still better than nothing...

Hey any time with Mrs. Colnago is time well spent, right?

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

quote:
Take care of yourself first, others come second... and this comment is coming from one of the biggest (ex) people pleasers on the planet.

Amen!

Along the same lines of "pay yourself first".

Think about it, if you don't take care of yourself first, you aren't your best for anything or anyone else. Most people take better care of their cars than the vehicle that is to take them through their lifetime ... their bodies. [Smile]

As far as the people pleasing thing goes, I know Mike and I are on the same page with this.
I've really had to figure on doing for myself, without relying too much on others. Especially with regards to my exercise.

It's all well intended, but here's what happens.
You make plans with a workout buddy, or a group of people you want to do stuff with. They are all gung-ho and you too .... and then ... people don't show up... Don't call... Find excuses not to follow thru.

Well, these are the kinds of disappointments that derail you in your efforts. You don't need that! hahahaa

I say, count on yourself to get the job done. If others show up to join you, well, that's a bonus ... well, usually anyway. [Smile]

Just try to find people or a person that is at the same level and have the same goals as you. If not, you may find yourself "dummying down" to their level, which sacrifices your work out. (another people pleasing move), or not being able to keep up, which will just frustrate you into giving up.

For instance, if you decide to power walk every morning, and want to do it with someone. Make sure that person isn't a "stroller", or a seasoned runner. In the case of a stroller, you'll find yourself in a position of either nagging them to quicken the pace, or most likely, you'll just slow down to appease them. Not good. [Frown]

Yeah, it's hard enough to motivate yourself sometimes, but when you drag others into the mix, you may end up at their mercy.

~nettie

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
get a dog...you will never be disappointed!!!lol
i don't rely on humans...i have 2 goldens. every morning around 5am we are out on property hoovin it up the mtn or trails. then of course they expect the same after 6pm. we also have to feed our one brook trout, so they get to go swimming too! i even bought nightcrawlers...yeah i'm a freak...what can i say.  -

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Yeah I exercise alone. It's too much hassle trying to incorporate other people into my plans.

They either don't want to wake up early enough to get into the gym at 5am, or they need their hands held through everything or there's no way they can keep up.

I need an Italian Greyhound, just about the only dog that could keep up with me on skates. There's a runner on the exercise path that has one and that little sucker is built for speed and continuous running. It's always ready to go too. Every time I roll by them, the dog spontaneously bounces. Her name is Lady but I call her Tigger. [Smile]

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 28 mile ride, and a nice long walk with the dog was a great way to wrap-up July.

Projects are coming along nicely, and the weather has been great.

Come on August,...bring it on!

Peace out,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1875 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!