Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Veteran sign PAINTERS ONLY!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Veteran sign PAINTERS ONLY!
Jeff Spradling
Visitor
Member # 1615

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jeff Spradling   Email Jeff Spradling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just kidding...I knew some of you would come here just because I excluded you.

I came across a long lost color chart the other day and thought I’d share it.

-

It brought back some old memories...you know...back when lettering paint held up without all the additives or hardeners and what not.

Or back when you had to understand how to mix colors to produce something other than the 20 standard colors that where available.

This chart is from September of 1987...four months after I went into business for myself. I know this doesn’t compare to when the real veterans had to mix the pigment and such. But this takes me back to when I started in this biz.

Ok...back to cutting some adhesive backed pressure sensitive vinyl stickers. [Roll Eyes]

Jeff [Smile]

--------------------
Jeff's Lettering
Lisa,Luke,Dara, and Jeff Spradling
5742 Shattuck Rd. Belvidere, Il.
61008 815-544-0167

Surviving another day.

Posts: 626 | From: Belvidere, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn! That brings back memories.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember that!. Not much selection of colors for many, many years. And you didn't have a chance at matching most Pantone colors with it. They covered quite well though and by and large stood the test of time. We still use lots of oneshot, it's still a great product.
Thanks for reminding me how lucky we are to have a good selection of colors. Considering all the cut backs on the use of "good" pigments, one shot still is my first choice for general sign work.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4356 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started out in 1985 with a can of Chrome Yellow and a can of Brilliant Blue.
....they make the most hideous green when mixed!
Love.....Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Spradling
Visitor
Member # 1615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Spradling   Email Jeff Spradling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You were hard pressed to beat the rich gold you would get from a drop or two of Purple in some Chrome Yellow...ahhhh...the memories...

Jeff

--------------------
Jeff's Lettering
Lisa,Luke,Dara, and Jeff Spradling
5742 Shattuck Rd. Belvidere, Il.
61008 815-544-0167

Surviving another day.

Posts: 626 | From: Belvidere, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take it for what ya want but in the seventies with only that amount of color available from 1-Shot, I was able to carry over 50 actual formulated colors made from some of those. I never bought 104L, 108L, 150L, 156L, 158L and used to make those colors which covered much better, same with today.

Coverage is everything in my line of work and not using thinners has saved me more then once.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't remember back that far! Must be the fumes, don't ya know!

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2109 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!!!!!!!!

Ever had dreams about finding a secret cashe of that paint hidden somewhere? Wouldn't that be nice?

[Eek!]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope these pictures are of some further interest. I didn't get to hear of One Shot till the '90s. This is the UK equivalent; John T. Keeps colour chart of roughly the same period, but as nothing much changed for about thirty years it would be hard to pinpoint a date.

-

During the mid fifties I would call in at my Dad's workshop on the way home from school. The following pictures are from a Geo. M. Whiley catalogue I used to pore over when Dad was engaged in the tiresome minutiea of life – like earning a living!

-

Red sable quill liners, size 7 with 2½" hair: 19/- per dozen. (I think A Pound was about equal to three dollars then so, approx 30 cents).

-

Complete kit-box 18/6d each (again, about 30cents) I was still using Dad's until 1978 when I finally pensioned it off and had a slightly larger one made for £180.00. I still have the old one, tucked away, deep under the bench. Not that I'm a hoarder!

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
Chesham, Buckinghamshire,
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl Lucas
Visitor
Member # 1656

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Cheryl Lucas   Email Cheryl Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last month, I was at the local paint store to pick up a pint of Med Grey, OneShot. The clerk, brought out a can that looked old and dingy. As I stared intently at it, she asked if I wanted another one that wasn't so dusty. I said, no, this one will do... Here's the label:

-

Any of y'all remember these good 'ol days?

-

Cher.

--------------------
Co-Host:
SANDCASTLE Panel Jam
'a Dixie Letterhead Reunion'
Fort Myers, Florida

Cheryl Lucas a/k/a "Shag" on mIRC
Vital Signs & Graphics, Etc.
Cape Coral, Florida
239-574-4713
VSignsNgraphics@aol.com

Posts: 987 | From: Cape Coral, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rats, I'm out of a's gotta get another sheet. [Smile] Anyone need some x's.
Ya I remember!

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog

Posts: 4356 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl Lucas
Visitor
Member # 1656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryl Lucas   Email Cheryl Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, Duncan!

Was this stuff called 'press type'?

Anyway, in the days BC (before computer), we used to lay the sign out by hand, copy it to a transparency, project it onto a wall and trace onto the substrate. Yes, including vinyl! Everything, was hand cut!

I pitched stacks of press type, a few years back...

Cher.

--------------------
Co-Host:
SANDCASTLE Panel Jam
Fort Myers, Florida

Cape Coral, Florida
239-574-4713
VSignsNgraphics@aol.com

Posts: 987 | From: Cape Coral, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cher,
Just last month, I finally threw away the last box of it that I had laying around. There's only so much of this stuff you can keep for posterity, you know? LOL

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, I remember those old charts. But the day that I saw a new Chromactic chart with process blue, that got me real excited.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 594 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

We used three brands...Letraset, Mecanorma and Chartpack. Sheesh, how do I remember this stuff.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog

Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, here ya go...lots of stuff to see here:
 -

[ January 31, 2005, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Barb. Shortreed ]

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Faulkner
Visitor
Member # 2511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Faulkner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Faulkner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ARTHUR!... may I order 2 of the sign kits filled with the brushes and paints? I know of a secret stash of Sherwin Williams lettering enamel and leaded one shot back in Maine if you would like to make an exchange.
[Cool] [Cool]

--------------------
"No excuses!.... No regrets!..."

GEET
www.goldrushsigns.com
known associate... pinstripermafia.com

Posts: 724 | From: Florissant, CO | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave Dave Dave!!! is that a present day photo??? You've got a pretty good stash there!

Just the other day, I was thinking about a New Post, regarding "Not dying before I used all those new brushes i've been hoarding" This led to thinking that maybe, a pile of brushes in my kit, i'd better "retire" either snap off the head, and use the handle as a stir stick, or give them to a body shop for "touch up", or some of the better ones to my friend Al up in the Boonies.

Anyway, what's your Stash look like, all you Brushers??? I bought a bunch of Brown Quills from a guy off the BB over a year ago, just broke in a few lately, changed my theory re: brown for slick/glass, grey for truck/ply. Those browns are SWEET!

Time for another lard oil shooter!

John

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl Lucas
Visitor
Member # 1656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryl Lucas   Email Cheryl Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen,

Interesting...

I shop local... Sherwin Williams...

Cher...

--------------------
Co-Host:
SANDCASTLE Panel Jam
Fort Myers, Florida

Cape Coral, Florida
239-574-4713
VSignsNgraphics@aol.com

david drane
Deceased

Member # 507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david drane   Email david drane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We used three brands...Letraset, Mecanorma and Chartpack. Sheesh, how do I remember this stuff.

Just last week I came across one of those tools for laying that stuff. It was made by Chartpak and has the spring loaded ball numbered 1 to 4 on one end and the flat plastic blade for burnishing on the other end.
I guarantee there wouldn't be too many people here that would have seen one. [Confused]

--------------------
Drane Signs
Sunshine Coast
Nambour, Qld.
dranesigns@bigpond.com
Downunder
"To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer"

Posts: 965 | From: Nambour, Qld. Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Utter
Visitor
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Utter   Email Dave Utter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'll have to go digging. I know I have a box in the grage with about 50 different sheets of chartpack stuff. along with a stack of transparencies about 6" thick, old one shot charts etc. I've always kept them. for what reason? I have no idea. but, I've always kept them..........sheesh, I feel old.

--------------------
Dave Utter
D-utterguy on chat
Sign Designs
Beardstown, Il.
signdesigns@casscomm.com

Posts: 777 | From: beardstown, illinois, usa | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen, I have two dozen on back-order from May '55. I'll let you know when they arrive; guess I should have chased them up earlier!
[Wink]

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Scargill
Visitor
Member # 2258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Scargill   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Scargill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
Arthur, what a colour chart ..... I loved the Intenso flat colours for glass work ... another paint company bites the dust ! ! my local supplier bought some Keep's stock when they closed down, it's all gone now.
I thought Tecaloid had stopped production but a coach painter I met recently said it is still in production ... oh the joys of laying off their extra pale body varnish .. memories ! !
Brian.
www.brian-the-brush.com

--------------------
Brian the Brush
brian the brush uk
Yorkshire, UK
www.brianthebrushuk.com

Posts: 123 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Brian, memories indeed – the pungent wiff of Intenso colours cooking on a sunlit pane of glass. An office full of girls high on MIBK fumes! The village Bobby. "Jumpers for goalposts". Sorry, I'm drifting, just thought I'd give the MIBK another try!

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,

I bought the whole stash you see in that picture above for $50.00 from the son of a sign painter who died in the 60's. His son had been keeping them all these years, sadly not perfectly preserved.

We have something special in mind to do with this collection, but first we need more information on the original owner...and have come up blank so far. We know his name and that he worked at Marine studios in St. Augustine Florida, and thats all. His son kept his fathers brush kit, but didn't take any photographs or keep any photos of his father (how wierd is that?)

Next trip to Florida, we'll see what we can turn up in St. Augustine. Maybe we can track this guy's history down.

[ February 01, 2005, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Dave Draper ]

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Memories....of the way we were!....

(btw, Jeff, I noticed the spilled paint drop, now that's worth some money!!!)
I wish you could have seen me when I first switched from fine artist's brushes to quills. I had paint dripping down my arms since I couldn't figure out how to palette!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Largent
Visitor
Member # 4606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Largent   Email John Largent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to draw T-Shirt art on Mylar, all the seps were inked out and I used tons of Chartpak, Letraset and sheet after sheet of "Dots" or screens. Finally threw away all of it not two weeks ago, almost a 13 gallon trash bag full. Probably was so dry the letters wouldn't rub of!

Do 90% of it now in the computer. Still Draw most of the Cars or Art, but scan it in and color it in th' box! Same with copy, all done in th' 'puter!

--------------------
everybody dances different!

large-hotrodart

1022Palmer
Pueblo, CO 81004
719/543-7440
large44@comcast.net

Posts: 161 | From: Pueblo, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deb, I almost did not post this, because I am so embarrassed, but me too! I HATED it when someone asked me to make a sign for them, because my letters looked so crummy, then I realized I needed LETTERING brushes to do them!!!! We used lettering brushes in Commercial Art in Vo Tech, but that had been so long ago, & all I had been doing was oil paintings & stuff like that.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!