Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » looking for Grateful Dead Decal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: looking for Grateful Dead Decal
Corey Wine
Resident

Member # 1640

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Corey Wine   Author's Homepage   Email Corey Wine       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A month or so ago, someone added a link to their topic for this guys website that creates words that can be flipped upside down and it still says the same thing....it's truly awesome to look at. I remember when I use to travel to see the Dead and there was a decal that is exactly what I am describing that says GRATEFUL DEAD and when you turn the image around, it is exactly the same. I do not know what this visual is called and have tried to locate it on other sites (do you know just how many GD decals there are out there???)
1,000,001......but I can't find the "1".

Anyone know where I can obtain this????

--------------------
Corey Wine
SignCONCEPTS
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 670 | From: Airdrie, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure of what you are trying to explain?
MIRROR IMAGE? or words like RACE CAR spelled
backwards is RACE CAR!
Only letters that can be turned upside down while still being read. Would be "O"-"H"-"I"

[ March 25, 2004, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: PKing ]

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corey Wine
Resident

Member # 1640

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Corey Wine   Author's Homepage   Email Corey Wine       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not quite Pat. I will search Letterhead for the past post.
I know what you are talking about......like, LIONS OIL!!
I will check back.

--------------------
Corey Wine
SignCONCEPTS
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 670 | From: Airdrie, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greg feil
Visitor
Member # 4379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greg feil   Author's Homepage   Email greg feil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corey,
Lemme try to look through my huge drawer of Dead decals and see if I can find the one you are looking for.

--------------------
Peace, Love, and Music
Greg Feil
Medina, Ohio
http://www.psychoarts.com
"Kerouac's got his words that reach for the young and the ramble hearted
Cuz those'r bound to move gotta hit the road"

Posts: 86 | From: Medina, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as a veteran of about 100 shows in 20 states & at least 2 countries (that I can remember [Smile] )
I thought I should know what graphic you are referring to, but I don't

It does reming me of this album cover that I painted some of on a jean jacket 20 years ago (see, I used to paint too!)

The name of the album is reversible: AOXOMOXOA

-

[ March 25, 2004, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Burke
Visitor
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Burke       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts exactly, Doug.

Man, I am jealous- 100 shows? Awesome. I saw Phish 7 times in 2 years, and I was amazed that I found the time for that!! How long did it take you to see that many? And which one was the best?

--------------------
Steve Burke
Cascades Inc
NS Canada

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you

Posts: 359 | From: NS Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corey Wine
Resident

Member # 1640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corey Wine   Author's Homepage   Email Corey Wine       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called an ambigram http://www.scottkim.com/inversions/index.html
found the link from a post back on the 15th of January.

NOW, who can tell me where the Gr8ful Dead version is?????

I miss the Dead. Seen 'em a dozen times from Long Beach, Irvine, Calif to Phoenix and a bunch in Vegas!!!
Don't eat the blotter!!!!!!

--------------------
Corey Wine
SignCONCEPTS
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first Dead show was in 1976 in Chicago.
I immediatly fell into the tape-trading scene & found those stickers & t-shirts etc. to facilitate networking with other 'heads in my abundant travels that began the next year after HS graduation. I met my first wife at a show a year later (painted her a jean jacket with the "American Beauty" album cover art)
The first few years were just hitting 2 or 3 local shows a year. (I was at a show in Portland Or. at the time of Mt St Helens second massive eruption & came out to a city shrouded in falling ash... that was cool!)

I also attended several JGB (Jerry Garcia Band) shows, & Bob Weir shows)My daughter slept through her first show at the age of 1, & learned to walk in a house full of deadheads where her mom & I stayed in Walnut Grove while selling crafts on Telegraph avenue in Berkley to raise money to return to Oregon.

I saw them in Jamaica in 1982 at a 3 day festival. My first summer tour was in 1983 hitting 13 shows in 8 states traveling without my own car, & financing the trip with selling crafts in parking lots & truck stops etc. (No, I didn't sell dope... just crafts made from pre-columbian grave beads that I smuggled in from Peru) My last long coast-to-coast tour was 1986 ending at the 4th of July show in Buffalo NY 2 days before Jerry's first diabetic coma in Washington DC, which shut down the band for awhile.

3 years & several shows later, living in Manhatten I was a regular at the Greenwich village club "Wetlands" for shows by the mostly thenunknown band "Blues Traveler" On Halloween 1989 Phish (also not nationally known yet) played a small party with B.T. trading sets & ending in a finale onstage together when Traveler's drummer Brendan let me jump in on the percussion frenzy. (not quite my 15 mintes of fame, but memorable none the less)In 1990, I would hang on the street outside Madison Square Garden for 6 or 8 straight shows never going inside. (by then I was intentionally unemployed & "squatting" in an abandoned building in the east village on one of my "social experiments" living outside of the cash-driven mainstream society)If you've ever been among the hundreds partying in the parking lot during a deadshow, you will understand why these shows are included on my informal count. (I never kept track... & quite a fog exists over some of those memories [Smile] but I'd say between 75 & 100 is accurate)

Most of the early 90's I was a signshop employee in New Mexico, just catching local shows & traveling to the 3 date shows each summer in Las Vegas & 2 date shows each winter in or around Phoenix & Tempe AZ. sometimes on this bus owned by Norm & Sandy Ruth of Deluxe Engraving & Screenprint my last employer before moving to Maui.
 -

[ March 26, 2004, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corey Wine
Resident

Member # 1640

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Corey Wine   Author's Homepage   Email Corey Wine       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to see a pic of you back then Doug.

--------------------
Corey Wine
SignCONCEPTS
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nevman   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't help you with the GD image Corey...but on a related note, there is a book on how to do that sort of lettering.

It's called Inversions by the author/artist Scott Kim.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0716720442/qid=1080317277/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-0277841-9875054?v=glance&s=books

Here's a sample...

-

It's the same right-side-up and upside down...

[ March 26, 2004, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Nevman ]

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2284 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!