Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Cutting mat versus Glass?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cutting mat versus Glass?
SteveDefibaugh
Visitor
Member # 2245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveDefibaugh   Email SteveDefibaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is everyone's experience with the two?We are getting ready to move into a new shop with more room.So we will have the luxury of 3 more cutting tables.I have always used glass for the tops of the tables but get tired of trying to keep them scratch free.As you know as soon as your blade hits the scratch the tip is gone.I guess I'm just leary(sp?) of the cutting mats durability as far as cutting on all day non stop.Any input is appreciated as always. Steve

--------------------
Steve Defibaugh
Decal Magic
Edinburg,Virginia

Posts: 79 | From: edinburg.virginia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Schmidt
Resident

Member # 2337

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Linda Schmidt   Email Linda Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve- I've never used glass or the mat. Before I ever opened I had all my work tables covered with thin sheet metal. I had the local heat/ air come in and measure the tops. Couple days later they came back with the metal crimped to fit- that was nearly 4 years ago and they have held up beautifully- of course there's tons of knife marks but that has no bearing on my projects. Easy to keep clean and makes doing magnetics a breeze. They didn't charge me anything- everyone here helps each other to get started- but I doubt it would have cost very much anyway. [Applause] [Cool]

--------------------
Linda Schmidt
Vital D'Signs
Greers Ferry, AR
signlady@ozarkisp.net

Posts: 160 | From: Greers Ferry, AR | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a 4x8 mat from product sign supply. I had it on my wish list for a year while I waited for a chance to ship it flat with a shipment of 4x8 substrates since they didn't reccomend rolling it up. I decided to buy 2 so I'd avoid that hassle when it gave out. I also realize I can flip it over when it gets real bad.

The first one has not been flipped over yet in 4 years. I'll probably never need the 2nd until I build another table. I like glass on my light table for cutting film & rubylith, but I like a table I can set heavy stuff on w/o extra worry not to break glass.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Steve,
I have one of the 4 x 8 cutting mats. Mine has a grid printed on it in 1" intervals. Makes it nice for easy measurements, cutting straight lines, etc...

It's called the "Mega Mat" #SF48X96T

Here's a link to the site. http://www.quiltersrule.com/product/sewfit_mats.html

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Burke
Visitor
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Burke       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use Celtec or Sintra or whetever the PVC you buy is called. I saw a guy break his glass table and almost lose a toe. Then he had to spend 30 minutes getting all of the glass up safely. Crazy. It may be smoother and easier to use glass, but the first time it breaks, you'll be sitting there going "Holy FREEHOLIES!!!"

--------------------
Steve Burke
Cascades Inc
NS Canada

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you

Posts: 359 | From: NS Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI, mats w/ grids are also available HERE for about $100 less

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Smith

Member # 298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can vouch for the SpeedPress mats, they are like HEAVEN to cut on. Also, get the grid for under it - when I switched to the grid I was able to eyeball lots of small signs and not need layout lines!

--------------------
Best Regards,
Mark Smith
EstiMate Sign Pricing Software
It's Not Luck. It's EstiMate.™
http://www.EstiMateSoftware.com
1-888-304-3300

Posts: 724 | From: Asheville, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Luszcz
Resident

Member # 4042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Luszcz   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Luszcz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the SpeedPress mats. Without the grid. I found that more annoying than helpful.

But every one of our tables except the one we paint on, has a cutting mat. They last a few years and are not reversible.

--------------------
Paul Luszcz
Zebra Visuals
27 Water Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
508 746-9200
paul@zebravisuals.com

Posts: 483 | From: 27 Water Street, Plymouth, MA 02360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you people who use the Matts use them for application as well? Do you find it anymore difficult to lay down vinyl if for say your doing a banner? We have Glass on our large 5 ftx20ft table, and I just recovered it this past Christmas after 5 years at a cost of over $1300.00, now it's 3/8 thick and only in 2 pieces. but I have another smaller 4ftx16ft table that I need to cover and I'm building another table now that will be about the same size as the larger one.... by the way we have 4 people working nonstop on those tables so they have to last and take abuse.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Ackerson
Visitor
Member # 3224

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Alan Ackerson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Ackerson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my speed press mat. Makes life much easier.

Glass is dangerous and eats x-acto blades. A good alternative is a piece of coated aluminum to mask on if the matt gets a bit rough and begins to create bubbles.

--------------------
Alan Ackerson
LetterWorks Design and Graphics
alan@ack2.com

Posts: 776 | From: Oak Ridge, NJ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have the SpeedPress mats too. They are about 10 years old and have help up very well! We have tried different surfaces over the 25 years and this one seems to be the best solution so far. We have the ones with the grid and that comes in handy for lining up the ruler to cut straight edges. I also am a quilter and I have one at home too.
Another thing I have mentioned before is the big 6" wide clear quilters' rulers. We have them laying around the shop in all sizes but I probably use the 24"X 4" one the most. They are clear plastic with painted lines every 1/4" and MUCH safer than a yardstick when it comes to cutting along the edge with a exacto or snap-off-blade. You can get the best ones at a fabric store, but there's a few varieties available at WallyWorld.

[ March 04, 2004, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Jane Diaz ]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The safest rulers are the Big Yellow ones with the finger Guard....
A footnote to this story is that if you use a regular Alluminum Ruler, be prepaired for cutting off your fingers, cause it will happen, at least to your help, Just last week an employee cut the top of his finger almost clean off, was he using the safety ruler? Nooooooooo was he trying to cut coro with one swipe? Yesssssssss.... said with sarcasm. you should have seen the blood that came from this guy, it was everywhere, you'd think that a masacre took place. He's back to work now, and you should see how he handles the ruler now.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Duncan
Visitor
Member # 316

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mike Duncan   Email Mike Duncan       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil,
Have you tried a coroplast cutter? They cut in the direction with the flutes really slick. Got one at at Las Vegas about 7 years ago from Super Frog. Still need the exacto to cut against the flutes though.

--------------------
Mike Duncan(from the left coast)
Astoria, Oregon

Posts: 367 | From: Astoria, Oregon 97103 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have ALWAYS used "scissors" on vinyl
"utility knife" on DIFFERENT table for other cuts

hope this helps

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Sharkins
Visitor
Member # 4525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Sharkins   Email Pete Sharkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only replaced my glass top once in 9 years, and only because I changed tables. From my experiences, I just don't use the knife like i'm cutting through an overcooked steak, and it seems to last fine...

Just my $.02.

--------------------
Pete Sharkins
MotoArts Decals and Signs
New Kensington, PA
motoarts@yahoo.com
* All vinyl, all the time *

Posts: 138 | From: New Kensington, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Yes Mike I do indeed use the coro Knives.... And I do agree with Pete, I find Glass works the best overall for an all around work table.

But what about you guys who are using the Mats, Do you find it leaves bubbles in the Banners, if you apply the Vinyl to the Banner over those Mats????

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Chuck Gallagher
Visitor
Member # 69

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Gallagher   Email Chuck Gallagher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Neil,

I've got the SpeedPress 4x8. I have made thousands of cuts on it. I also make banners and I lay it over the mat, tape out the edges and lay it up! No problems with bubbles for me.

Good luck,

--------------------
Chuck Gallagher
Pro Graphics Signs by Design
Cabool, MO
"I grew up in Letterville"

Posts: 776 | From: Cabool, Mo. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had a cutting mat that covered the full table. So, I found them to be more annoying than useful. Right now I have all my tables covered in pvc. It's not bad to work on, but it has to be replaced often.
The 3 tabletop covers I've used and liked are wood, acrylic and glass. Of those three choices, I liked glass best for weeding & graphic prep. Acrylic or an old sign face is great for a heavy duty production table that will take a lot of abuse and cutting. Wood is economical for very large tables. When wood starts getting roughed up a fresh coat of paint smoothes everything out.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you mentioned acrylic Checkers.
For 10 years I had great results with clear 3/16" DR acrylic (like come on the big spools at the sign supplier for thermoforming faces). I don't remember why we put that on there originally, whether it was left over from a job, or maybe it was a used face, but it was an immediate hit.

Knives do score it but nothing would break it. Plenty firm for weeding, applying and all around production and assembly work. If it got really messed up with paint from doing a screen job or something, break out the DA sander and give it a polish - takes out all the score marks too. So search out your scrap pile and save a landfill.

--------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
e-mail: joe@capecraft.com

SONGPAINTER Original Sign Music by Sign People NOW AVAILABLE on CD and the proceeds go to Letterville's favorite charity!
Click Here for Sound Clips!

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!