Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » My first chalkboard - thanks Rob!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My first chalkboard - thanks Rob!
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I can get this image to load, you should see a pic of my first chalkboard.

Rob was kind enough to post a step-by-step for those of us interested in learning this medium. This is my first attempt, a practise board for a "fresh produce" sign I am going to do.

It took me a while to find the things I needed. I ended up using krylon chalboard spray on a piece of
sintra. I based in the veggies with ceramacoat acrylic paints and then sprayed with a matte acrylic laytex sealer. I didn't find any conte pencils as Rob suggested, so this is all done in soft chalks. I did one veggie at a time, working from the back and then spraying with clear so I wouldn't smudge them.

They did fade a little with each coat of spray, so I added highlights as I worked.

THANK YOU ROB!!!!! I'm so glad you took the time to share your skills with the rest of us here on the BB. [Big Grin]

[ March 02, 2002, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Suelynn Sedor ]

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheryl nordby
Visitor
Member # 1100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheryl nordby         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW Suelynn! That is beautiful!
Posts: 3729 | From: Seattle | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woohoo Suelynn!

That's great! I like it. Hard to believe that is your first one!

Have a great one!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, you guys are quick! I was still editing the post and I already had two replies.

Thanks so much for the compliments. I really enjoyed working on this. [Big Grin]

Sue

--------------------
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paul taylor
Visitor
Member # 2782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paul taylor   Email paul taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sue that looks great you really got the hang of that step by step

--------------------
paul taylor
pictougraph images
new glasgow, nova scotia
paultaylor42@hotmail.com

Posts: 80 | From: nova scotia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!! Nicely done!!!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sue, you're a real artist!

And here you never told me that... [Wink]

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1966 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Clark
Visitor
Member # 787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Clark   Email Rob Clark       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done Sue, and thanks for your kind comments, I am really keen to contribute and help others to succeed, so it's very gratifying to see you do just that.

The work looks good and as you do more you will find the better you will get and the easier they will become.

"Rembrandts" are another brand of hard pastel, and there are many other brands, keep looking you will find them, the colours are really great.

Ceramacoat Acrylics, do they dry flat? or is this clear coat the way to get 'em flat?

If I might add, keep in mind that the arrangement must look natural, Imagine that you are looking down on the produce from a slight angle, and that all of it is sitting on the table. The watermelon for example looks as though it is standing up on its own, it may be better to lay it down and imagine some of the other items leaning against it. You have achieved this effect with the beans, they look like they are naturally laying on top of each other.

Also, don't be afraid to take some of the items out into dark shadow, even to black, this gives the piece excellent contrast. Check this out on some of my pics, you will see that I imagine a very strong light source, creating strong shadows and cutting down the amount of detaail needed and therefore the time taken.

These are minor observations on what is an excellent piece of work , all that is needed now is fine tuning.

I'll find a good example of what I am getting at and post it here.

I'm thrilled Sue, absolutely thrilled, good onya.

RobC

[ March 02, 2002, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Rob Clark ]

--------------------
Rob Clark
Rob Clark Design
11 Lassig st
Moore Park Queensland Australia

Posts: 421 | From: Australia | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Jones
Visitor
Member # 2795

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Randy Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Randy Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all I can say is OMG

--------------------
Randy Jones
Speed FX
P.O.Box 43094
Baltimore,Md.21236 U.S.A.

Keep looking up...

Posts: 77 | From: Maryland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again everyone, for your kind replies.

Rob, I understand what you mean about the natural layout of how these items would really sit. I used a picture I had cut out for a pattern for this practise board, but for the job I think I will draw my own pattern.

Ceramacoat paints are acrylic latex decorative paints. They are not really flat, but after a spray of this matte spray, they worked just fine for an undercoat. (before I sprayed them, I could scratch it off with my fingernail) The spray I used is krylon's clear matte finish. (clear latex enamel) I sprayed a fine mist probably 8 different times during this project, and could add more detail right overtop.

Thanks for the extra tips Rob, I'll save these images and refer to them.

Suelynn from Saskatchewan

[ March 03, 2002, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: Suelynn Sedor ]

--------------------
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Rob Clark
Visitor
Member # 787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Clark   Email Rob Clark       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sue,

It's really important that the chalks "bind" on the surface as you work. This paint you are describing sounds like it may be a bit too smooth, it shouldn't be necessary to put so many coats of clear on if you can find a "dead flat" paint to work with.

This clear must be knocking the color back a fair bit.

Looking forward to seeing more.

RobC

--------------------
Rob Clark
Rob Clark Design
11 Lassig st

Posts: 421 | From: Australia | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOU GUYS ARE MAKING ME HUNGRY!

Beautiful work and very informative posts (THANK-YOU!).

Question: How much can you charge for this type of work?

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely Awesome Suelynn!!!!
I love it!

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job Sue! Hopefully one day I will get a chance to try this. I can't wait. Glad to know the Ceramcoat paints work. I have a lot of them.

[ March 03, 2002, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Amy Brown ]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me again, after a longer look on this thread.

I just took the time to read Rob's comments.

This is the kind of thing that perks my attention, and keeps me involved here.
What a terrific example of the giving and acceptance of knowledge.

Suelynn, I'd be mighty proud if I were you.
Rob .... a real big GOOD on ya for your sharing.

This is what I call a "feel good" post.
Thanks!

Nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really proud of you Suelynn, it looks awesome [Smile]

It ain't that hard to pull one or two Chaukies from the closet when all you have to do is ask a simple question on the BB. I'm also proud of myself for asking the question [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Wow,

You guys have absolutely made my day!! I agree with your comments wholeheartedly Nettie. I am here to learn, and I'm so thankful that there are people willing to share their talents.

Joey, I think that's the nicest thing I've ever heard you say!! I'm proud of you too! [Big Grin]

Sue

--------------------
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SueLynn, wow, first time, it's awesome!. What reference material did you work from?Are those beans, or OKRA?
I've been dinkin around with chalk and Robs underpainting, but your work has got me going, have to GET SERIOUS AND DO IT!
Thanks to Rob too, you walk the chalk!

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Hi John,

I had clipped this picture out of a gardening magazine about 4 years ago because I liked the colors and the layout. It was perfect to use for this practice piece; funny how things work out!

Also, I'm embarrased to say that those beans are supposed to be pea pods! I know they look like beans, but I had trouble keeping a sharp enough edge on the chalks for small detail. Once I find the conte pencils, I should be okay.

I'd love to see what you are working on.

Sue

--------------------
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Rob Clark
Visitor
Member # 787

whoops...sorry Sue, um.....er...........I really meant pea pods.............they are really cool pea pods..........really cool......um.................

oh jee [Roll Eyes]

RobC

--------------------
Rob Clark
Rob Clark Design
11 Lassig st

Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a fantastic job Suelynn! I love the detail work you did! I'm with Rob on this one, just like Mama used to tell us in regard to boys, leave a little mystery! Hehehe! (around the edges) ...more realistic, like a candlelit set up.

I'm in awe, you studied Rob's step-by-step and show some great talent! It's great to see this followed up! Show us more!

[ March 06, 2002, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Linda Silver Eagle ]

--------------------
Linda Welborn
Aigle D'Argent

678-292-3102

http://www.precious101.com

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sue,
if that is your first one then i can't wait to see the second one!
very nice work.

thanks rob, we can all learn something from a man with your skills.

again sue, beautiful job!

mark

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suelynn,

That is beautiful! Looks like you've just opened up a whole new world of possibilities for your business.

Have fun!

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!