Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » A Carpenter's Tool Chest - heirloom sort- OT maybe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Carpenter's Tool Chest - heirloom sort- OT maybe?
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Folks,
I've never done one of these before, but made it as a 40th birthday present for my brother-in-law who does a bit of handyman stuff & would like to get into a bit more of it.

I started with the lid, and sized it to suit a handsaw & a tenon saw.
The base was to take a 7" circular saw at one end & a drill &/or jigsaw under the sliding tray (or anything, really).
The end stop slots at the left are for wood chisels.
The holes in the back of the tray are for pencils or spade bits or whatever.

The timber was all old hoop pine from our kitchen, pulled out before we gyprocked (plastered) it, and the handles were a bit of silky oak from a tree we cut up years ago.

I designed a clamshell-shaped file the size of my palm, with grooves to suit my fingers, and cut them on the CNC router then hollowed underneath for your fingertips with a linisher.

The ornamental monogram (RDH) & chisels on the front were in some lovely hard spotted gum offcuts I had. (aided by the cnc router). They're rebated in; into a hand-routed 5/16" deep recess. The brass hinges were salvaged from old QR railway carriage doors from Wulkuraka, near Ipswich, back in about 1980-81.

No tek-screws were used- all slotted countersunk brass or steel screws, & a few brads & exterior aquadhere. It has a 5/16" plywood base. The idea was to spend no extra money on parts for it-but I bought the chain & latches. It was actually really nice using the old screws. (I had a small supply of 12 & 14 gauge brass ones.)

He hasn't seen it yet, but my father-in-law will be adding some tools to it: mortise gauges, try-square etc. I thihk I spend a week on it-shockingly slow really, but it was done while all that flooding was happening & was a nice project.

-

-

-

-

[ January 29, 2011, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. here is a sparkplug & crossed pistons we did for a local garage. Andrew created the file for the postons after I explained how to do it. The spark plug is about 1 foot high.

It's screwed & glued to Alupanel.

-

-

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of great projects there!!!!

You might guess that the tool chest is my favorite.

Nice work!

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great stuff!!

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Moser
Visitor
Member # 6526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Moser   Email Jim Moser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice ! I especially like the sea shell handles !

--------------------
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain !
Jim Moser Design
13342 C Grass Valley Ave.
Grass Valley, Ca. 95945
530-273-7615 jwmoser@att.net

Posts: 488 | From: Grass Valley, Ca. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work...and the chest is such a nice piece of woodwork...needless to say you are on good terms with the bother-in-law...I'd say he owes you big time.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Thanks- Rusty, he's a nice bloke, but has been dealt a couple of hard blows in life. I get on well with him & know he'll appreciate it!

The handles aren't as nice as Joe would have done, [Wink] but I'll put a couple of photos below showing the stages of being made.

I started with drawing a circle in Corel, the diameter equal to a bit less than the timber width which made them 5 1/2" across, finished.
I cropped it into a semicircle & drew 4 vertical guides then 5 more in their gaps. I added nodes to the diameter line on every guide & dragged them up & down to create the wavy bottom edge.

I then drew & edited each 'pie slice' from the bottom to the top centre, and flipped the left to make the right side, then saved it as an Illy file.

In Enroute I imported it & used the outline shape to make a very mildly domed relief.
I then used the pie slices to add to that relief with a domed top to each slice, making the centre one a bit higher then the next two, and the outer ones a whisker lower.

That was all-I toolpathed it with a 1/4" ballnose endmill, and used island fill as a strategy as I thought it might help, rather than hatch fill; (but I roughed the background away a bit first.)

The timber is silky oak; an Australian native tree, and it has a pretty coarse grain which doesn't easily sand smooth nor carve too brilliantly (I've tried a lot) it tends to want to stay furry and softish. (I'd much rather beech or something nice like that!)

I hollowed out beneath the handles with a sander, (and made a third one to keep), and made a miniature one for the front centre of the lid, with the small offcut that was left over.

-
 -

Making the monogram (RDH) was interesting too.

[ January 29, 2011, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stewey, thats some really nice work, love the chest.

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice work!

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is fantastic!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clark
Visitor
Member # 2268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clark   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job!!!

--------------------
Michael Clark
Clark Signs
138 W. Main St.
Aledo, IL 61231
clarksigns1@yahoo.com
www.clarksigns.net

Posts: 241 | From: Aledo, IL | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they are both great, but that chest is something special.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful, that's a gift he will treasure for the rest of his life! A real heirloom. [Applause]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great looking stuff Ian!!
thanks for sharing...

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really slick job! Both are cool, but the tool chest... ;-)

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice projects Ian!

I just wish you were able to write in English... so I could understand half of the stuff you described [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Ian that chest is just awesome! I bet you could make a mean sign painter kit, couldn't you?

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Bobbie, my first sign kit was a bedside cupboard/table with the legs removed-just a door on it-and I added one internal shelf.

The second kit was hastily whacked together the day before a letterheads meet in 1998 or 99-it's pretty plain & crude but the shelf spaces suited a host of cake tins & old biscuit tins I had that I kept stuff in.

I've bought a steel one that was in service for about six years, and recently and a nice wooden one that was so nice & cheap it was a shame not to buy it-so I haven't got around to making one yet.

Actually, the kids gave it to me for Christmas-it was on special for $165 delivered-they're normally around $250-320 plus freight.

HERE is a link about it

and here's a picture:
 -

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Gene, which words can't you figure out? [I Don t Know] (or is it just the router language?)

Reading here on Letterville, Aussies have to get used to translating many of your North American weird words for some things into the different (correct [Wink] )names they're called Downunder. When typing stuff I try to 'backtranslate' a bit to make it easier on you [Wink] but maybe I fail sometimes!

Thanks for the compliments anyway!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!