Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Trick or Tip...not! Ice Storm update!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trick or Tip...not! Ice Storm update!
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you on chat may know that I got to experience big trees with a half inch of ice on em - 101. Having lived in Kansas when I moved to America...I laugh at tornados...they've always danced by me. This ice storm terrified me to pieces.

I fell asleep on the couch in my den, under the picture window, watchin Saturday Night Live (5 mins of it anyway...haahah.) At 7:30 am I heard a big whoosh-thud noise and sat up to pull back the curtains. I saw a tree...just inches from the window...and me. It used to be out in the yard. I jumped up and ran outside and watched biiiiiig trees and branches crash around the house for 18 hours straight before I could go to sleep from exhaustion. The next morning, most of the ice had melted but still tree parts kissing the ground at high speeds.

If any of you have seen some of the news footage here you know this was a biggie. I just wanted to post with my gratitude! First, if you saw the way some of these trees hit the yard and the house, you'd know God really looked out for me! Second, I was one of a small percentage that got to keep any utilities in tact through this whole thing...and very blessed, I had them all! Third, all my family members were able to survive with similar blessings...and are still safe and warm! As a matter of fact, with the TV station's flickering reception, I chose to stay on chat and was blessed with a lot of patient souls who held my hand while I was frantically describin the yard not knowing where it wanted to be.

ALL of you who wished me well and prayed for us...THANK YOU!!!!!!! It apparently did the trick.

And Don, thank you for all your patience in this matter. I know it was not easy for you to stay in touch with me knowing there was nothing you could do about it...especially after the first time we lost connection that morning! See?...I told you you were a keeper! Hahaha!

The TRICK was keeping my faith and the TIP is not to sleep under a big picture window in an ice storm. (Of course I didn't know it was comin!) Next TIP, keep an eye on your weather reports!

Hopin the rest of you don't have to worry about your yards movin around on ya!

Lookin for my car keys and remembering I was on my way to Clearwater, Florida!!!!!!!!!

------------------
~\ Sign Painters always have 1-Shot left! /~

Linda Silver Eagle Member #5653

ICQ #60434646

Silver Eagle Graphix Studio in GA, USA
Big on Murals and Tight on Camera Ready
(770) 822-0117

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Novicki
Visitor
Member # 955

Icon 14 posted      Profile for John Novicki   Email John Novicki       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Linda,

Glad to hear you're OK down there. Ice storms are no fun, we went thru one 2 years ago and didn't have any power for 7 days. After the storm, all you could hear outside was the sound of falling trees and cracking branches, very spooky. Luckily, none of them hit the house or vehicles.

So keep the faith..you'll be in sunny Florida soon!

JohninMaine

------------------
John Novicki
Sign Painter
Minot, ME

Posts: 242 | From: Palm Coast, FL | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hay John!

Don wants to have a Letterhead meet to help me unpack when I get there...must bring back braces to that one! Hahaha!

I'm thinkin about havin a big one to pack all this up...theme is BBQ for days...in Dixie! Bring your shop truck! and deer rifles hahaha! I got all the wood right here!

Shoot, it looks like a Mobile Madness thing huh? Scenic tour of dixie while we dew a "barn raisin kinda" help Linda move down to Florida thingie.

It would be nice to be outta here before March...for obvious reasons..Some of these trees are still comin down as we speak. Been talkin to ins people while I watch the BB and I may have to stick around long enough to see the repairs done. But I can pack while I'm waitin hahaha!

Thank you John!!!!!!

------------------
~\ Sign Painters always have 1-Shot left! /~

Linda Silver Eagle Member #5653

ICQ #60434646

Silver Eagle Graphix Studio in GA, USA
Big on Murals and Tight on Camera Ready
(770) 822-0117

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy to know that things are ok for you!!!

We had a ice storm in january 98, lasted for several days. We lost power for 15 days at the shop and 7 days at home. Wasn't easy to deal with the cold weather that came after the ice storm. Hydro pylon crashed on almost every lines, too much ice on them structure.

Forest around here are starting to reshape as cleaning was a heavy task.

It's in those time that you can see what the force of nature really is.

My heart is with you, your family and your community.

É

------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.mlink.net/~scripsit
scripsit@mlink.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear you're safe Linda.

I remember back years ago on the farm at home, when a serious ice storm hit.

How eerie is that sound of branches crashing down like glass on top of thick iced over snow. Especially at night. It was too dangerous to walk outside for days.

We had lost power for a few days, but it was exciting when the power wasn't your sole responsibility. That's what parents are for.

------------------
Graphic Impact
located in BC Canada
gisigns@sprint.ca

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!