Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Vehicle prep tips and tricks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vehicle prep tips and tricks
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 3 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do any vehicles at all , sooner or later you run into this one. Customer brings a vehicle to your shop, or you go to the customers shop and it's raining, vehicle to be lettered is outside. Now if it's just the doors getting worked on, drying it off is no big deal. However if the vehicle is getting graphics over a large portion it's a different story. If the vehicle is an 18 wheeler or a trailer it's another story altogether. Drying it off can tale longer than the graphics application.
The solution? A window washers squeegee, preferably a foot or more in width. Turns an hour long job into a five minute one.

------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@ixlmemphis.com

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

http://goatwell.tripod.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great tip, George

And when I forget to take towels with me to clean off a truck door, I squirt up the door with my homemade soapy water application fluid and squeegee the dirt off the door with my vinyl applicator tool!

For those hard to clean areas...use spit!
Caution:...never spit on a truck door with the customer watching!....hahahahahaha

------------------
Go Get 'Em..... :)
AKA Raptorman on #Letterheads mIRC Chat
Draper The Signmaker
Bloomington Illinois USA

Proud 2-yr. $upporter of this Web Site (May 1999-May 2001)

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another tip for dealing with wet vehicles. You can dry the sides of the vehicle as well as you want but if the roof is still wet there will ALWAYS be a rivulet of water that runs down just as you are about to start. If you are only installing or painting a small logo on a wet vehicle, just dry the area above where the lettering will go and then use masking tape to create a "dam", at a slight angle, that will stop the water and direct it off to one side. Then dry the area below- and continue.

------------------
Dave Grundy shop#340
AKA "applicator" on mIRC
"stickin' sticky stuff to valuable vessels and vehicles!"
in Granton, Ontario, Canada
1-519-225-2634
dave.grundy@odyssey.on.ca
www.odyssey.on.ca/~dave.grundy
"A PROUD $ supporter of the website"

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We also use the window washer squeegee for applying larger graphics.

------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California
"Where the Redwoods meet the Surf"

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!