Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Upsom Board?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Upsom Board?
Bill Biggs
Resident

Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Biggs   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Biggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 25 years ago I needed a drawing board for my new shop, I had to order 6 sheets of upsom board(3/4 inch)to get any, so I built the best drawing board I ever had. Its still there. My Friend Monte Jumper asked me where I got upsom board and I realized I no longer had a supplier as he had long since closed his business. I searched the web, but only
found definitions of it, and offerings of
old paintings painted on a form of it.
Does any of you guys and gals know where
it can be found,If so please let me and Monte know. I may need to replace mine one of these days too.
Thanks in Advance!
Bill

------------------
Bill & Barbara Biggs
Art's Sign Service, Inc.
Clute, Texas, USA
Home of The Great Texas Mosquito Festival
Proud Supporter of the Letterheads Website
MailTo:twobees@tgn.net

Posts: 1020 | From: Lake Jackson,Tx | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try some stuff called "Homosote" at Home Depot. I think it may be the same stuff.

Nettie

------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Sign Studio
in Sunny Florida
jbalogh@earthlink.net
Current Pet Profile - Please send us yours!
http://www.markfair.com/nettie

Start packing and move in! It's just too easy to be a Resident!
Location, Location, Location! It's all right here!
http://www.letterhead.com/supporters

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,
I found two lumber dealers that list it on their web sites. One's in PA but the other is in Dallas:
Craddock Lumber Company
Phone: 412-681-9200 www.craddocklumber.com

I hope I'm thinking of the same stuff you are. I prefer it to anything for covering my easel. I've not seen it in 3/4". Did you mean 1/4"?
I spoke with a lumberyard in OK City three or four years ago and found that they carried it. I think the name was Paxton Lumber. They even sent me a bunch of samples. But if Monte Jumper can't find any then maybe Paxton doesn't sell it anymore.

Brad in Arkansas

------------------
Brad Ferguson
4782 West Highway 22
Paris AR 72855
501-963-2642
signbrad@cswnet.com

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nettie is right about the alternate name "HOMOSOTE" board. Same stuff.

I have seen it recently in my builders supply as a commonly stocked item. Interesting observation; I also saw the material repackaged two other ways for a much higher price - One as a mattress underlayment cut in sizes to fit twin and double mattress sizes, and also with a thin cork applied to one side as a message board in assorted sizes up to a full 4'x8' at an astronomical price.

That was about 8 months ago and I've slept since then but I recall the plain homosote was pretty inexpensive at about $20?? for a 4'x8'.
Happy hunting.

------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
http://www.dave-joe-show.com
e-mail: joerees@capecraft.com

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Joe and Nettie,I've used homosote before and it is an alright product but not near the same as upsom board.

The compaany that used to have it here was Oran Huston Lumber (they went belly up )after the old man retired and gave it to his kids.

I hadn't thought about Paxton I'll try them tomorrow.And thanx for the Dallas addy,thats not to far to go...I could use a break!

------------------
Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a black colored board that is soft enough to hand perforate on used in the building trade for I don't know what.

------------------
PKing is
Pat King of
King Sign Design in
McCalla,Alabama
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a black colored board that is soft enough to hand perforate on used in the building trade for I don't know what.

------------------
PKing is
Pat King of
King Sign Design in
McCalla,Alabama
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!