Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Downloading Mac font on PC - Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Downloading Mac font on PC - Help!
Kelli
Visitor
Member # 248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelli   Author's Homepage   Email Kelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm baffled. Maybe this can't be done. My client is sending his files as e-mail attachments and the artwork comes through fine, but the font files seem to be compressed by something called Data Viz. They show correct file sizes in the mail, but when I save the attachments they end up as 0 byte size files. I can't connect my Mac to the Internet, any work-arounds for this problem?

------------------
Kelli Cajigas aka Janda
Dolphin deSigns Key West

Posts: 449 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Davis
Visitor
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Davis       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelli...

Data Viz is an old program used by the Mac to create files that any PC can open-- doesn't work all the time. Have him send the files compressed with "DropStuff" instead, then you can open these archives using plain old "WinZip". Also make sure he's sending you the fonts in True Type format for the PC. There is a small program called "True Type Converter" for the Mac that will convert the fonts to True Type for the PC. Fontographer will also do it.

DropStuff can be downloaded at: http://www.aladdinsys.com

Winzip can be downloaded at: http://www.winzip.com

If you need the 'True Type Converter" program, but can't find it, ask me and I'll send it to you...

--Chuck
letterheadfonts@signmaildesign.com http://www.signmaildesign.com/letterheadfonts

------------------
Chuck Davis
letterheadfonts@signmaildesign.com

Posts: 37 | From: CA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelli
Visitor
Member # 248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelli   Author's Homepage   Email Kelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chuck, thanks for the help, but I think I neglected to mention that the file will be output from Quark on a Mac. I need to download the font in Mac format on my PC (which has Conversions Plus) and then transfer via floppy to my Mac. Do you think this is possible?

------------------
Kelli Cajigas aka Janda
Dolphin deSigns Key West

Posts: 449 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Potter
Visitor
Member # 1199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Potter   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Potter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if the file is stuffed using 'drop stuff' it should not matter that it is going through a pc..... as for datavis.... i am not sure.... maybe just try doing the whole thing again, may have gotten corrupted......

------------------
--If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.

Tony Potter
Blind Mice and Company
Knoxville, TN
(865) 300-1175
www.blindmiceandcompany.com
tonypotter@yahoo.com

I support the ability to hang around here...
www.letterhead.com/supporters

Posts: 209 | From: Cedar Rapids, IA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Sanfilippo
Resident

Member # 425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Sanfilippo   Email Sam Sanfilippo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelli,

Looks like Quark strikes again. Quark is the old reliable print media program. In the past (as of last month anyway) I have beat my head against a wall trying to open Quark files. From what I have been told, Quark builds it's own elements that are impossible to open with anything but Quark, and does not have an export function to any other program. I believe that the new Adobe InDesign is the only program that has Quark translators. I use Data Viz MacLink ver. 11.0 to convert files that need be. Guess what! Doesn't convert Quark.
One customer even said "You probably just can't read a Macintosh file". I let him know "Gee, I don't understand why....MACS ARE ALL I USE!

Do what I do and tell them to either give me scannable artwork, no less than 600 dpi, or an .AI file.

Let them know that it is extra for scanning & clean up. It isn't your fault it was created in Quark.

------------------
Sam Sanfilippo
Signs By Sam LH #6308
Samsigns on Letterheads chat
Pinson, AL
205-681-9009
205-681-9830 Fax
"Success always occurs in private, but failure in full view."

A proud Sponsor of this site.

[This message has been edited by Signs By Sam (edited January 19, 2000).]

Posts: 281 | From: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mick Samsel   Email Mick Samsel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know how you need to manipulate the text, but one option is to have the text on the other end 'Converted to Paths' before he e-mails it to you..maybe his program won't allow him to do that. Freehand and Illustrator will. Now it's a graphic and you can place it just like any other graphic, plus not worry wether or not that specific type style is loaded on your system. Mick Samsel

------------------

Posts: 499 | From: Cherokee, Ia USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Biggs
Resident

Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Biggs   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Biggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quark Smoark,
Text to graphics and fly away Ai File or
EPS, if you can just get rid of the text
in advance.
Bill, (PC user, Mac Coverter, trouble maker) LOL

------------------
Bill & Barbara Biggs
Art's Sign Service, Inc.
Clute, Texas, USA
Home of The Great Texas Mosquito Festival
Proud Supporter of the Letterheads Website
MailTo:twobees@tgn.net

Posts: 1020 | From: Lake Jackson,Tx | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelli
Visitor
Member # 248

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Kelli   Author's Homepage   Email Kelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all who have responded here. whew! What a day. I worked on this darn project all day long. I tried downloading to Mac formatted floppy. No luck. I had the client re-send. No luck. Had him re-send using the DropStuff compression. Thought I had it. Then when I went to uncompress got an unexpected end of file message. Tried again, same thing. Then I downloaded Dave (mac-pc networking software)networked the suckers and tried to save from the pc straight to the mac. Still didn't work. Finally told the client I'd drive down tomorrow and pick up the files. At 5pm he e-mailed me and said he'd been fiddling around and saved his Quark file in Acrobat 4.0 and would I try printing that file. Not only did it print with art and fonts intact, but I was able to print it straight from the PC with no problems. PDF format, Who'd a thunk? Well at least I got some good tips here and now I'll just have to track down that font conversion utility! As soon as I get my breath back. I'm exhausted!

------------------
Kelli Cajigas aka Janda
Dolphin deSigns Key West

Sarah Clark
Deceased

Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarah Clark   Email Sarah Clark       Edit/Delete Post 
°

[This message has been edited by Sarah (edited August 12, 2000).]

Posts: 602 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!