Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » letterhead desktop theme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: letterhead desktop theme
Christian Slager
Visitor
Member # 1074

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Christian Slager   Email Christian Slager   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
man i wish i had a letterhead desktop theme! it would make my day go by oh so much better.... well, maybe not, but it would still be cool..... so...any volunteers to make one? :-)

later yall
christian in sunny Florida

------------------
Christian S.
Budget Signs & Graphics
5320 14th St. W., Bradenton, Fl
signs01@gte.net
ICQ# 41812133

Posts: 184 | From: florida | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian... I just right clicked on the background of this page in Netscape, and then clicked "set as wallpaper". Minimized this page to get to the Windows desktop and there it was, one of the logos right in the middle of the desktop. I right clicked on the unused part of the desktop, hit properties/background and then clicked on "display" and then clicked tile. Voila!! I now have the background of this page as the desktop background in Windows.

------------------
Dave Grundy shop#340
AKA "applicator" on mIRC
"stickin' sticky stuff to valuable vessels and vehicles!"
in Granton, Ontario, Canada
1-519-225-2634
dave.grundy@odyssey.on.ca
www.odyssey.on.ca/~dave.grundy
"A PROUD $ supporter of the website"

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Davis
Visitor
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Davis       Edit/Delete Post 
How 'bout one with your name...Right click to save...

--Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chuck Davis (edited December 30, 1999).]

Posts: 37 | From: CA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
gees chuck!

that is absolutely incredible! very nice of you to do that for christian! i am very impressed! kudos for chuck!

i sure would like to be able to do that. care to do a step by step? i would be interested in how that type of work is done. i bet i am not the only one!

have a great one!

------------------
Bruce Bowers
DrCAS
Signtech

"how great are His signs..."
Daniel 4:3

i am a proud supporter of this website!

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post 
nice work chuck!
send me something for consideration for "Sign of the Month"
mark
http://www.markfair.com/signomonth.html

------------------

Mark Fair

Mark Fair Signs
http://www.markfair.com

I Don't Work... I dis-PLAY

2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107
334-262-4449

mark@markfair.com

"Mark Fair is a Proud Contributor to The Letterhead Site!"

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chuck,

Nice job on Christian's panel!
I noticed your link again also.
This is looking more and more like the ideal place for you to push your fonts!
Would you consider being a Letterville Merchant?

Even so, this forum would not be the place to promote, as it falls under the catagory of blatant advertising. But your support would be welcome, and appreciated.

While the inticement to use this BB for the purpose of self promotion may seem too easy to pass up, there are some wonderful merchants here who do pay to advertise, and still they resist blatant promotion. I respect them for that, and feel it is unfair to them when others slide past this simple courtesy.

If you have not been made aware of this before, I am most graciously enlightening you now. It's become obvious to me that you've found merit in exposure on this site. We would surely band to welcome you as a paying merchant!

Very nice stuff Chuck!
Nettie

------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Sign Studio
in Sunny Florida
jbalogh@earthlink.net
Current Pet Profile - Please send us yours!
http://www.markfair.com/nettie

Start packing and move in! It's just too easy to be a Resident!
Location, Location, Location! It's all right here!
http://www.letterhead.com/supporters

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post 
I for one didn't think it was blatant advertising. Very cool though!!!

------------------
Bruce Evans

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Nettie! You said it better than we ever could.

My last intention here is to center out Chuck. He is a talanted sign artist and we appreciate his input here. The problem is that he also has a product that he would love us all to purchase.

This is a unique forum. At this point in time, it is wide open with the exception of a few simple rules. Anyone posting agrees to respect these rules when they register to use the BB.

One of these rules concerns commercial advertising in this forum. There are two reasons why we try to discourage it here.

1. Anyone who has visited some of the other forums is well aware of how they are quickly taken over by individuals and corporations wanting to sell us stuff. These types of posts can quickly dominate the posts from actual signmakers. In some cases, it becomes almost impossible to clearly tell who is a signmaker and who represents a product.

We can understand the incentive to promote products in this forum. It's no secret that a tremendous number of signmakers read this forum daily. Advertising in our trade magazines is not cheap. It makes good business sense to try and use this free forum.

2. This brings us to reason Number 2. It is smart business for us to insist those who want to reach the traffic here pay for it.

We have very reasonable advertising rates here. For those that simply cannot afford $1 a day, we created a special Supplier's Soapbox that is absolutely free! Those that feel our policy is greedy should remember that this website is our only business. We do not sell and/or represent any product or magazine. We rely on advertising revenue, as well as new Residents, to make all this possible.

I'm reminded of our days back in the big sign shop. All of us want to be a "good guy" and help out whoever we can. Seems like it wasn't long before most of the Town were our good friends. Every service club and Church felt they should get a special deal on signs. Then there was the relatives, schools, sports teams and well..all of you have experienced the same thing.

What I am trying to say here, and still trying to be a "good guy" while doing it is that we cannot allow this sort of stuff to go on. Signature files must clearly identify the poster and the company they represent. Direct links to a commercial page will no longer be allowed. Offenders will be notified by e-mail and their posting privileges may be revoked. We hope this is never necessary.

I hate making these sort of posts. This is never a problem in printed publications. You either pay to advertise or we don't see a word. We the readers certainly do not get to take part in any public debate over the issue. It can be very frustrating from our point of view.

It is our intention to ensure the information you get in this particular forum here in Letterville comes from actual users of any particular product instead of a sales person. As always, suppliers are free to answer questions put to them and free to respond to posts they feel are inaccurate or misleading.

Nuff said.

------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673
steve@letterhead.com
ICQ 316338
www.letterhead.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Davis
Visitor
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Davis       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand I am walking a thin line. However, I am a Letterhead first and a merchant second. My love for the sign business is second to none. I wanted very much to contribute and found a way to do this through my fonts.

I don't know if you remember, Steve. But back in March, when I first created the font used above. I offered it to you for free. And told you to please give it to other Letterheads. Well, nothing happened. I was dissapointed, But I wanted people to have the font. Not because I wanted to make money -- I didn't even have a website. I just knew that it was a helpful font and wanted others to have it too.

Now months later, I'm still giving away the same font. Not because I'm trying to make money, but because I am a Letterhead. Having said that, anyone can now purchase my font collection for $365 dollars, thus giving me the money needed to become legit.

I'm afraid a few people have misread my intentions. I am a Letterhead -- never, NEVER question my love for this business.

--Chuck

------------------
Chuck Davis
letterheadfonts@signmaildesign.com

Posts: 37 | From: CA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know you are Chuck. The last thing we ever want to do here is try to alienate anyone. You actually sent me your whole font collection and they are all first class. You should have no problem marketing these at all.

The cash flow here in Letterville is based on an old saying that read "Help others get what they want and your needs will be looked after." We want to do anything we can here to help you guys make a few more bucks.

Many of you could come up with t-shirt and apron designs that several of us would be interested in buying. Our challenge is to help you create some added income and make a small profit for ourselves in doing so.

We've made some pretty wild deals on advertising here over the years. I'll be the first to admit we often let somethings slide by. We're not greedy but expenses are growing faster than income.

There has to be an answer for this problem that is better than the way we have handled it up to now. I'm open to new ideas. Let's talk. Ain't public forums great?

------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673
steve@letterhead.com
ICQ 316338
www.letterhead.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chuck,

Your love for this business was never in question. It simply ooozes from your work.

As for your free font, I fail to see the significance of mentioning it other than perhaps in an effort to defend your character which, once again I'll say, was not in question. I too appreciated recieving it from you via email not long ago, accompanied with a link affording me the opportunity to buy your other fonts. Mighty nice of you to share.

Chuck, you have taken my comment to be a personal attack. I am sorry you opted to react that way to it. Just for the record, there is nothing wrong with making money. The words "Letterhead" and "Money" can exist in the same sentence in a respectful fashion. Fact is, your panel to Christian bears your font company's logo, and the link which you have now edited led us to the fonts you were selling. Pretty simple, nothing misread.

Profit is not a dirty word.
Not for any of us, least of all for you or this website. We should all thrive without stepping on anyone's toes.

Nothing personal.
Nettie

------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Sign Studio
in Sunny Florida
jbalogh@earthlink.net
Current Pet Profile - Please send us yours!
http://www.markfair.com/nettie

Start packing and move in! It's just too easy to be a Resident!
Location, Location, Location! It's all right here!
http://www.letterhead.com/supporters

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christian Slager
Visitor
Member # 1074

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Christian Slager   Email Christian Slager   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey chuck! nice job man! thats some talent you got there. i feel honored to have gotten such a work. too bad your act of kindness got you into so much trouble! sorry!
later
christian

------------------
Christian S.
Budget Signs & Graphics
5320 14th St. W., Bradenton, Fl
signs01@gte.net
ICQ# 41812133

Posts: 184 | From: florida | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post 
kindness is one thing and i agree with steve and netties post above.
chuck you are one talented sign artist man.
what is $50 bucks anyway?
steve and barb like to eat too!

looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful work chuck.

the $50 i spent this last year is the best money i have spent.

don't just be a visitor, live here with us.

mark

------------------

Mark Fair

Mark Fair Signs
http://www.markfair.com

I Don't Work... I dis-PLAY

2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107
334-262-4449

mark@markfair.com

"Mark Fair is a Proud Contributor to The Letterhead Site!"

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll touch on Steve's comment to brainstorm here.

In my opinion, there appears to be three catagories of posters. Merchants, Letterheads who sell something on the side, and strictly Letterheads.

Steve, at one time you proposed a Letterhead Gift Shoppe, where Letterheads who sell something advertise through the shop and the site takes a commission. Seems fair to me. I'd also like to add, those that sell through the Gift Shoppe ought to be residents rather than visitors.

Or, the Letterheads who sell something can simply pay $1 a day for a year and sell to their hearts content.

I also don't see the Supplier Soapbox utilized as much as it could be. Pump your wares, merchants! Show us what you can do with your fonts and supplies as Chuck has done.

I vote to get the Gift Shoppe into effect, so those like Chuck and the site can benefit together.

------------------
Graphic Impact
located in BC Canada
gisigns@sprint.ca

Are you ready? The countdown nears!

[This message has been edited by Donna in BC (edited December 30, 1999).]

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post 
i can't help but notcie that a majority of posters include a link to their websites.....as did chuck. hmmm, not much of a difference in my eyes. In fact....a few posts in this thread would be classic examples.

------------------
Bruce Evans

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce..You are correct that many of us post our website addresses as part of our signature files. The difference is that most of us who do, do it as a matter information/ego/humour and not to try and sell anything to this site's viewers. After all, why would a sign maker want to buy a sign off another signmaker? Personally, I wasn't offended by Chuck's post but I do know how frustrated the webmasters of the site get when "blatent advertising" aimed at the visitors to the site occurs. Advertising here is VERY economical when compared to print, TV, Yellow pages or radio. And for someone to think they can get a freebie is not right.

I repeat, I was not offended by Chuck's original response. I just understand why the susequent posts occured.

------------------
Dave Grundy shop#340
AKA "applicator" on mIRC
"stickin' sticky stuff to valuable vessels and vehicles!"
in Granton, Ontario, Canada
1-519-225-2634
dave.grundy@odyssey.on.ca
www.odyssey.on.ca/~dave.grundy
"A PROUD $ supporter of the website"

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!