Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Clear on gold leafed letters???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clear on gold leafed letters???
BruceWestfall
Visitor
Member # 43

Icon 5 posted      Profile for BruceWestfall   Author's Homepage   Email BruceWestfall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be gold leafing some plastic Gemini letters. The gold leaf part shouldn't be too bad - I've done a bit....The letters also are going to need a clear over them.

The customer is really concerned about the durability. The sign will be within touching range if someone stretches and it's at a university! The other concern is about someone stealing the whole sign, but that part can be taken care of.

Any thoughts on what to use that will hold up indoors for several years that can be cleaned with who-knows-what by occassionally over zealous maintenance people? Will Aerosol Frog Juice work? Or do I need a brushed on clear like LeFranks or something?

Thanks.

------------------
Bruce Westfall
DeSigns Unlimited
Glouster, Ohio
bruce@frognet.net

Posts: 106 | From: Glouster, OH USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they are going to be touched I would look into spraying them with a two-part automotive clear. Do a test piece so you know what will work without ruining the size. I have brushed two-part clear over leaf on truck doors that were done with quick size, but I would think slow size would be needed for dimensional letters.

------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Raoul Duke (Hunter S. Thompson)

Cam
Finest Kind Signs
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you will get some good responses about clearcoating gold, but another option is to use the clear acrylic Gemini letters and gild the inside so you're seeing the gold through the clear plastic and the size. You can't use the standard stud mount but you have to gigure out a different installation method. I foam filled the letters after gilding and glued them on.

------------------
Chuck Peterson Graphics
1860 Playa Riviera Dr.
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Calif. 92007

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why bother clear coating them? Much easier to hook up an electo-pounce to them!
They will be touched ONLY ONCE!

------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA
(714) 521-4810
ICQ # 330407
"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post 
We just did a mural latex gild at a collage.
Some of it is within reach of fingers und such, and latex size is very weak and easy to scratch, but we assumed that the students
would see that if WAS a NO touch stuff!
Seems to work fine

When I made a gilded handle for a fishing rod; a art object that also was made to be used for fishing, I lay one layer of 22 K then a new layer of size and then a layer with 24 K ex dur ex thick.

But if the customer insist on WASHING the gold
Then I would have gone for cheap gilded sheet metal
Hard to tell the diff trough clear

------------------
Stein Sæther
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackson Smart
Visitor
Member # 187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackson Smart   Author's Homepage   Email Jackson Smart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just went thru clear coating gold leaf letters....NIGHTMARE...All I can say is:
TEST PIECE,TEST PIECE,TEST PIECE.!!!
I use FrogJuice on my gold that needs clearcoating...and have had no problems...only when you add 2-part clears do you need to be careful.

Good Luck..

------------------
Jackson Smart
Jackson's Signs
Port Angeles, WA

Livin in the Great Northwest!

Supporter Via the Auction

Posts: 1000 | From: Port Angeles, Washington | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brett Baker
Visitor
Member # 712

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brett Baker   Email Brett Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I clear leaf with a urethane or polyurethane(Imron)clear.First trick is use a brand that doesn't use reducer,just catalyst.First couple coats just mist on,allow dry dime and spray wet coat.DuPont (among others)make what is called a 'repair clear' that is dust free in 5 minutes and it works perfect for this.Be cautioned any activated paint is incredibly dangerous to your health and if you don't have proper ventilation or respiration,send it to a body shop.Hope that helps.

------------------
Brett Baker
candykolor@aol.com
"free your mind,the rest will follow"

Posts: 73 | From: Scotia NY USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The suggestions of two part automotive clears are the way to go. They can be easily brushed on but I think Brett's suggestion of having a body shop do it is an excellant idea. The clears and necessary hardners are very expensive, usually not sold in small amounts and will go bad before you will get to use them again. Most body shops will gladly clear small items for a nominal fee and do a great job of it. As long as the item isn't a pain to move around, they just stick it in the spray booth while they are clearing a customers car and use the leftovers on your project to make a few extra bucks. A win win situation.

------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@ixlmemphis.com

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

http://goatwell.tripod.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is going to be an interior sign, and it only needs protection from abrasion; then I would brush on a coat of WW Window Spar! If it wolds up to repeated washings in a window gold leaf job - it will work on this application! An added plus... it won't lift, curl, wrinkle, or mess up your gold leaf - if you let it cure overnite, before coating it with the clear!

------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA
(714) 521-4810
ICQ # 330407
"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post 
clearcoating gold is a misunderstanding

------------------
Stein Sæther
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

[This message has been edited by SteinS (edited December 23, 1999).]

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in the same situation before. If I did it today, I would go with the FrogJuice. The first time I did it, I used Imron. It was a nightmare. If you do use a 2-part polyurethane, be sure to mix a few drops of the catalyst into the size to "marry" the chemicals. Then when the time comes, spray a "flash" coat of the clear on to the gold. Let dry and then spray two light coats.

With FrogJuice, I don't worry about going through all of those steps again. The last several ones that I have done were with FJ. It was much easier and quicker. As for durability, the oldest one done with FJ is 4 years old. So far, so good. The first ones that I did with Imron had to be redone after 5 years. The clear started flaking off, taking the gold with it. Fortunately for me, my client thought that was just part of nature and hired me to refurbish the sign.

------------------
:) Design is Everything! :)
Glenn Taylor
in beautiful North Carolina
http://members.tripod.com/taylor_graphics

walldog@bbnp.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!