Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Quickbooks Pro...any great tips?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quickbooks Pro...any great tips?
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys;

One of my goals for the new year is to streamline some of my office procedures, and to keep better track of how my business is doing financially.

I just purchased Quickbooks pro, and am pretty excited about some of the features it has. (Geez my life must be dull to be excited over accounting software!!!) I know there are quite a few of you who are using this program, and I was wondering if you would share with me any tips you have in streamlining this program that worked well for you. Are there any quirks or bugs I should watch out for?

Thanks,

Suelynn

------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, Sk Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great program Quickbooks Pro is! I just bought it about 3 months ago. Aside from having my secretary hate me for needing to enter 8 months worth of invoices into the computer, ITS THE BEST!

Its very cool to see sales, expenses, those cool pie charts - and also to be able to measure your growth, more importantly. And year end accounting for my accountant will be a snap. I use it to figure my 941 taxes, sales taxes, etc.

Its a little tough when you start with it, but once you get going, its great.

You can also characterize your sales - for example - I have a few lines of business that I can easily track sales in -
Logo Design
Layout/Design
Font Sales
Printing
Web Design
Advertising/Media Buys
Truck Lettering/Signs

So, what's neat is at the end of the year, I can have a total sales figure for each line of business.

The program really provides you with a wealth of information about your business, and I think forces you to examine it more closely, and make better decisions regarding it.

Hope you like it!

Dan

------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
Union, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"You won't get wise with the sleep still in your eyes, no matter what your dream may be" - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been using it for years and until recently I always hand wrote invoices so they looked personal. The latest version allows importing a logo to generate custom invoices. We're doing it and it's like a new toy.

------------------

"The codfish lays ten thousand eggs,
the homely hen lays one
the codfish never cackles to tell you
what she's done
And so we shun the codfish while
the lowly hen we prize
Which only goes to show you
that it pays to advertise!"
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Ogden Nash

The Sign Shop
Mendocino, CA.

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Suelynn,

I absolutely love this program.
I've typed out many rather lengthy posts about all the things I liked about it in past posts. Perhaps if you do a search on this BB you will find some of them.

It's been a wonderful tool for me, really helps keep me in line with the books.
You'll love the reconcile feature, and the fact that you always knows who's paid, and who's outstanding. You'll have details like their invoice info, their check number, and dates all at your fingertips.

As Dan mentioned you can customize your catagories however simply or extensively as you wish. This allows you to see where your most sales are coming from.

I began using Quickbooks at the first of the year, so I didn't have to feed in so many past invoices of the current year. I have not found alot of pre-adding stuff necessary, but rather it's an input as you go kinda thing. Very low maintenance in my opinion.

One quirk I'll mention is in regards to the sales tax liability. I don't use their method of accounting for it because it does not allow for the allowance or the penalties. Our state gives us a percentage of our sales tax each month for doing the paper work on time. If we are late, there are penalties. They don't account for either in the tax liability section of Quickbooks, so I just nix using their method, made catagories for it, and simply write it out as I would any other check. I also made catagories for added principle payments I make on the mortgage, or any number of various allowances or penalties.

It's a great program, very easy learning, fun to use, and the manual actually speaks in English, not techno-speak. That's a plus!

There is a lot of freedom in Quickbooks.
Let me know if you need any help setting up.

Nettie

------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Sign Studio
in Sunny Florida
jbalogh@earthlink.net
Current Pet Profile - Please send us yours!
http://www.markfair.com/nettie

Start packing and move in! It's just too easy to be a Resident!
Location, Location, Location! It's all right here!
http://www.letterhead.com/supporters

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wizsigns
Visitor
Member # 778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizsigns   Author's Homepage   Email Wizsigns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using the program for years now and I have to say it is without a doubt the best and most stable program I have used ever.
I did try another this year - I wanted one that deals with the Euro but Tas books was nowhere near as easy to use. It had to go back.

------------------
David Allen
Wizard Signs - It's a kind of magic!
ICQ 3467358
Email wizsigns@esatclear.ie
ICQ Pager 3467358@pager.icq.com
www.esatclear.ie/~davidallen/wizard.htm
Resident of Letterville

Posts: 280 | From: Virginia, Co. Cavan, Ireland | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!