Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » You won't believe your eyes - the work of Wm. Cochran

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You won't believe your eyes - the work of Wm. Cochran
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Letterheads,

Steve asked me to post this after he saw my response to a post (on another 'board') regarding the work of William Cochran.

"I have spoken with him numerous times on the phone and he is as delightful as his work. I originally asked him to be a project leader for the 1997 Belvidere International Letterheads meet and he had to decline. He was dedicating his Community Bridge project that same weekend and would've if he could've. His talent is awe-inspiring and I have posted a link to his Community Bridge project here so you can all get a glimpse of his genius - and you can see why Belvidere was not as important!! He is one of our best talents although he is much deeper into murals and fine art than signs now. FYI: He did the 'America's Most Wanted' gold leafed and carved eagle sign that was in the background of their old set. Mark Oatis knows Bill very well - so does Keith Knecht (although not as well as Mark). Hope I helped.

Jay

Check out his Community Bridge project and prepare yourself for some truly incredible images. (sorry - not net-savvy enough to post true hyperlink here - only in emails)
http://bridge.skyline.net/

------------------

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The work is absolutely awesome. This gentleman is truely a modern-day Michaelangelo

------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail kjmlhenry@home.com

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This guy's work took my words away!

------------------

"The codfish lays ten thousand eggs,
the homely hen lays one
the codfish never cackles to tell you
what she's done
And so we shun the codfish while
the lowly hen we prize
Which only goes to show you
that it pays to advertise!"
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Ogden Nash

The Sign Shop
Mendocino, CA.

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Duncan
Visitor
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Duncan   Email Mike Duncan       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!!

------------------
Mike Duncan
2315 H Street
Bellingham, WA 98225
eves 360-738-9846
days 360-671-7165
mduncan@telcomplus.net
$$ Supporter, 1998 & 1999

"Good Luck many times comes disguised as hard work."

Posts: 367 | From: Astoria, Oregon 97103 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
denise carson
Visitor
Member # 508

Icon 4 posted      Profile for denise carson   Email denise carson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow... don't even know what to say,.. thats amazing,....how do you pronounce the Trompe l'oeil? I've never seen that before... unreal. Thanks jay and steve -

------------------
Denise Carson
Artful Enterprises
Grandville, MI
616-532-2034

Carson Adventures
"Anything worth doing, is worth OVER-doing!"

Posts: 284 | From: u.s.a | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Denise,

It is pronounced Tromp (like stomp) Loy (like Loy) (Hee Hee). It means "to fool the eye" in French.

Your culture for the day.

Jay
(see you in two weeks)

------------------

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what a wonderful and inspiring piece of work this bridge is. i am absolutely amazed and impressed.

thanks for sharing this with us, jay.

have a great one!

------------------
Bruce Bowers
DrCAS
Signtech

"how great are His signs..."
Daniel 4:3

i am a proud supporter of this website!

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the kind of work that should be featured on a pbs or discovery channel show.
Is there one?
wow

------------------
Pierrepont by day.
SlamGrafyx for play.
http://www.us-uck.com

edutittankufecin@us-uck.com
Rochester, N.Y.

yadayada... insert deep and/or humorous quote here

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mick Samsel   Email Mick Samsel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You must see it to believe it. The Archangel is astounding. Yes, visually take it all in...but read how it all came about. We can all learn from the words written about the project, thoughts about community and each other.......Thanks Jay! Mick Samsel

------------------

Posts: 498 | From: Cherokee, Ia USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!!

Thank You Jay!!!

I don't know what else to say,
Don

------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
sbdsigns@aol.com

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Creative Images
Visitor
Member # 81

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Creative Images         Edit/Delete Post 
"to fool the eye",he sure does that, alright.
Truly Awesome Work, a Masterpeice

Bama Boy

------------------
Robert Fair(Bamaboy)
Creative Images Studios
Fayette, Al. USA
"Stay Fresh, Be Creative."

Posts: 346 | From: Gordo, Alabama USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Dirkes
Visitor
Member # 1000

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Bill Dirkes   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Dirkes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!
awesome &awe inspiring
Go back and read the text; I found Mr. Cochran's Spirit more impressive than his work...an that's pretty impressive

------------------
Bill Dirkes
Bethel Hill Signs
Pay NO Mind to the Idiots-There is more Beauty than Pain

Posts: 591 | From: Bellevue,Ky. US | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have add my voice to the many and just to mention that once you go to the site make sure you go everywhere to see every little detail. i have never seen the level of detail and that archangel is unbelievable.
thanks again for sharing this with the board.

------------------
'To be born once is natural, To be born twice, now that's a miracle.
-------------------------------------
From the sometimes sunny south of Ireland,

Posts: 913 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, could he do a pouring bottle of Grain Belt? I can grab a couple cases and pose. (It will go quick!)

------------------
Mike Meyer
Box 3 Mazeppa, Mn 55956
Info:mikmeyer@means.netGoing to Alabama with a Banjo on my knee come and see..http://www.markfair.com/dixieheads Member of the Sign maker Council of Toowoomba

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 14 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hats off to you Jay for sharing this with us.
What a treat to see such excellent work.
With people like that who can produce such perfection, it makes me sick to see the fakers doing this modern so called art and making a fortune.
Bill Riedel

------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
Little Ferry, NJ
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Estes
Visitor
Member # 765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Estes   Email Steve Estes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Purdy dern good!

------------------
Steve Estes
Sign Studio
Calvert City, Ky 42029

Posts: 185 | From: possum trot ky usa | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Barba
Visitor
Member # 431

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Steve Barba   Email Steve Barba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok- I quit- no more art from me- That just blew my doors off.
That angel looks like shes coming out of the wall, I have never seen anything like it.
That page is bookmarked!

------------------
Steve Barba is the proud owner, president, & sole employee of Sturgis Sign Works.
sbarba2616@dtgnet.com

Posts: 768 | From: Sturgis South Dakota | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm adding to this just to make sure nobody misses what i think is the most incredible work i have seen

------------------
'To be born once is natural, To be born twice, now that's a miracle.
-------------------------------------
From the sometimes sunny south of Ireland,

Posts: 913 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang,Everytime you think you know what your doing along comes a guy like this and your just a begginer again.

Fantastic project and fantatic work.

------------------
Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an oldie but goodie post from our friend Jay Allen! If you haven't seen this website, you're in for a treat. If you HAVE seen it before, enjoy a second look.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good call on reviving this one Don!

I had missed it but all the praise shown here is an understatement... WOW!!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes you wonder how he got all that vinyl to stick to that bridge! [Wink]

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Don Coplen for resurrecting this old post. Suprised to see my name on a post!! I thought senility had hit me since I didn't remeber posting recently.

William's work is timeless. He was actually selected to be one of the project leaders in Belvidere at the International but could not attend due to the fact that the Community Bridge Project was dedicated that same weekend!! Belvidere's loss, that's for sure. This mural, William's other work - Eric Grohe's and Bill Hueg's mural work are incredible examples of work I'll never be able to produce - but will always appreciate and admire. As should we all.

Aside from that, I am most struck by Don's description of me as a "friend" to Letterhead's. That may or may not be an opinion shared by some here - if past flames are any indication (I suppose everybody has been personally ripped here a time or two by somebody - just not by me). What it does speak volumes about is Don's character in not pre-judging me and seeing that my efforts to continue what the original 7 had started is genuine. He is equally respected by me.

I may not be attending as many meets as I used to (bad economy, busy schedule, family, etc), posting here (y'all answer correctly before I can ever respond!!) - but my heart is still in designing and fabricating the best work we can here at my company. The reason I am so busy is because I have applied what I've learned to our work. From people just like Bill Cochrane. All Letterhead's should follow suit (Just make sure you charge for it!!!!!)

How do you repay somebody for something they gave away for free? Thanks seems insufficient. But Don, thanks so much for the very generous comment. You're a class act. Not meant to take away from the intention of my original post - but has anyone called you a friend lately? That is the supreme compliment in my world. I had to respond.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 16 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned this location to Bobbie "duckette"
(soon as it was posted a while back)

Off to Maryland together you can find us as artist
enjoying the talent of other artist in real time.

A vacation of this sort,has to be better to us,than any boat could supply!

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx . . .
just amazing and inspiring . . . .
the whole thing is incredible. . .
. . .the written descriptions and explanations by the artist makes it seem as if you could actually feel the contures and textures of each photograph.

The emotions you can experience from such work are so diverse too . . . from sheer awe to humor:

It's a truly gifted artist that can cause birds to try to land on water fountains and people to complain about ivy growing on the work!!

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Osborne
Visitor
Member # 4569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Osborne   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Osborne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Truly amazing, in talent,vision and spirit,
Thanks for sharing that one with us,
I think I must take a trip out there just to see it!!!!

--------------------
Wayne Osborne signs
Midhurst W.Sussex U.K
www.osbornesigns.co.uk

"When happiness shows up always give it a comfortable seat"

Posts: 353 | From: Midhurst ,West sussex, Britain | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre Tardif
Resident

Member # 3229

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Pierre Tardif   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre Tardif   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jay Allen for bringing this 5 years ago.

Thanks Don Coplen for bringing this this week!

About the works...Speechless!!

Life is so good!

--------------------
Pierre Tardif
P. Tardif Inc.
1006 boul. PIE-XI sud Val-Belair
QC. Canada G3K 1L2
418-847-4089
pierre@ptardif.com

Posts: 800 | From: Quebec city | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Just droppin back in to see what kind of reactions the bridge post brought this time around. Very cool. I knew there were a lot of new Lettervillians since that post who would appreciate this masterpiece.

And Jay, of course you're appreciated by the lion's share of 'Heads. I can guarantee you that I, for one, do appreciate what you're about. Every time I run into you, which has been a few times since 97, I make it a point to give you a big pat on the back for what you did in Belvedere... And not just that, but for delivering the mosty eloquent speech on the topic of the Letterhead movement that I'll likely ever hear.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!