Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Signlab and importing AI files.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Signlab and importing AI files.
david drane
Deceased

Member # 507

Icon 5 posted      Profile for david drane   Email david drane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few weeks back I had the latest version (in Aus.) of Signlab5 version 6.3 installed after having a virus removed. The problem is that since then I am unable to import Adobe Illustrator files. Has this happened to anyone else or is it just me? Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Drane Signs
Sunshine Coast
Nambour, Qld.
dranesig@dingoblue.net.au
Downunder
"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life" - Confucius

Posts: 965 | From: Nambour, Qld. Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Upchurch
Visitor
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Upchurch   Email Jim Upchurch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 6.3 and it imports AI just fine.

------------------
Artworks
Olympia WA

Posts: 797 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Thomas
Visitor
Member # 1356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Thomas   Email Robert Thomas       Edit/Delete Post 
I can import AI files into my cutting program but there are a bunch of vertical lines in the graphic, letters or whatever. You can't see them unless you wireframe. I've been welding them together but sometimes it won't weld it right and adds stuff. Anybody have this problem?

------------------
Robert Thomas Creative Signs In Beautiful Naples, Fl.

Posts: 965 | From: Bonita Springs, Florida USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, I have no clue on the vertical lines, but only an educated guess. Do you have any gradients in the art that youre importing into signlab? If so, it could be interpreting them as vertical lines. I get those when I import a CDR file into Illustrator. But, in Casmate, if I have a gradient in any imported Illustrator objects, Casmate won't see anything at all, that object won't show up.

------------------
Don Coplen aka "SaintPete"
Coplen Designs
St.Petersburg, FL dcoplen@mindspring.com

Co-Leader (with Bill Modzel) of the Letterville Adobe Illustrator Support Group

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had the same trouble not being able to see the ai file I import unless I have it on wireframe. I am using SignLab 5.0 Revision 5 ColorMaster. The type ai files I have had trouble with are from CD's like Pure Gold. Seems like there was a way to trunicate the file so it is visible but I forget where that feature is. Pure Gold's files were also available in a dxf format, I was able to import it correctly.
Still don't know why this happens. No problem with verticle lines though.
Judy

------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
110 LuMac Road
Albany,Ga 31701
229-435-6824
Letterville is my HOME!
Life is like a canvas...you do the painting.

[This message has been edited by Judy Pate (edited June 17, 2001).]

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
corel will do the same thing with some ai imports...seems that ai's tend to put a box around the object your expoting/importing...and the box shows up as extra lines in the graphic....in corel you need to ungroup...then delete the box...

------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-944-5060
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philippe JACQUES
Visitor
Member # 664

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Philippe JACQUES   Author's Homepage   Email Philippe JACQUES   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The verticle lines are resulting from the limits of PostScript, ore more exactly from the few memory the first PostScript printers had. To avoid to fill the memory with a too large path while ripping an artwork, developpers of AI added an option to "Split the long path" while exporting and printing.

This option can be found in the Document Setup Dialog of AI 8.0 and in the same dialog, within the "Printing & Export" sub-menu, of AI 9.0. The same optons existed from the first AI version to the current one, but I didn't check the place it was for older that AI 8.0.

Uncheck the corresponding checkbox and you will never have the verticle lines problem… except perhaps your printer bureau could inform your files are too large for their printer memory !

To fix the vertical lines problem of files you received from external CD for example, Adobe provides the Pathfinder "Fusion" to fix it in few seconds (the Reunion also works if ever you have only one color artwork).

Once again, let me ask you the question : why don't you buy a second hand Mac and plot the AI file directly from Adobe Illustrator using Sign of NCS (free to download) or NCS MagiSign ? See http://www.magisign.com for more info.

P.S For the same Rip memory reasons, Corel did the same and split paths while exporting to AI format. I let Corel expert explain us in details how to fix it.

------------------
Philippe JACQUES
info@magisign.com

Want to produce signs in 4 steps directly from Adobe Illustrator ? Take a look at www.magisign.com…

Posts: 185 | From: Ottignies Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devon111
Visitor
Member # 1452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devon111         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
I have not heard of the problem you have mentioned, although the virus may have affected the Signlab Software. If you have not already done so, you should reinstall your Signlab Software.
For those people with the importing AI files with "stray lines" everywhere, you should also download the latest version of SL. The lines are caused by the Header section of the AI files, that is why other programs will do the same thing.

Devon
CADlink Technical Support

------------------

Posts: 3 | From: Ottawa, ON | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Wilson
Visitor
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Wilson   Email Ian Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave I have the same signlab as you I have got around the problem. Tim put me on to it in my post above about converting ai files
I did this in corelle and cut and pasted it into signlab

------------------
Ian Wilson
Signmaker Toowoomba City Council
Cnr Anzac Ave & Stephen st
Toowoomba Queensland Australia
may all your toubles be little ones
The man that never make a mistake never makes anything

Posts: 656 | From: Toowoomba Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karman Fairless
Visitor
Member # 2330

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Karman Fairless   Author's Homepage   Email Karman Fairless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody,

I found this post searching for a solution to the same problem. Has anyone found an answer to the Corel factor? I'm getting those vertical lines after importing AI files from Corel to signlab.

Karman Fairless
karmanart@piasanet.com

--------------------
Karman Fairless
Karman Art & Design
1007 W. Delmar Ave.
Godfrey, Illinois
karmanart@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 20 | From: Godfrey,Illinois | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler Malinky
Visitor
Member # 4693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler Malinky   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Malinky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When exporting files from Corel as an .ai file, I just export it as an Illustrator 4.0 file (you are prompted for the version on a popup screen after entering the desired filename), as with higher version formats I get problems importing them into signlab...

--------------------
Tyler Malinky
A Step Above Signs
www.astepabovesigns.com
tmalinky@astepabovesigns.com

Posts: 60 | From: Parma (Cleveland), Ohio | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you got corel, then take the ai. into it and export to signlab as a CMX...signlab likes CMX format.

[ June 03, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Merci Philippe Jacques,

I've always wondered why in certain .ai files a 'solid' object is broken into hundreds of pieces, now I know why.

We use signlab for the engraver.
No problem with importing .ai files into signlab, it's our medium of choice for transfering files. We design in corel, export as .ai (ver 3) and import into Signlab.

[ June 03, 2004, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: TransLab ]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!