Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Investing in Self Improvement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Investing in Self Improvement
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been impressed with how a lot of Letterheads invest time, effort, money, or all three in an effort toward learning something new or self improvement generally.
Is there something of interest that you've been involved with lately that falls into that category of activity? Have you taken any courses, or attended any "boot camps" that you found to be of value, and that you might recommend? Have you found any new or interesting techniques by attending any meets? Any new books or videos that you've come across that you've found to be interesting and/or informative?

Have any of you brushed up on other non-sign topics that'll help you or your business in other ways..eg: business management or marketing type things? Let's hear from you scholarly types.

------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail kjmlhenry@home.

10,000 sperm swimming for that egg...and I won!

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got married Five months ago TODAY!!
Does that count as self improvement??

------------------
PKing is
Pat King of
King Sign Design in
McCalla,Alabama
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pking. I honestly can't think of anything quite like the institution of marriage to greatly enhance one's character or quality of life. Hope you're both still enjoying the honeymoon.

------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail kjmlhenry@home.

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post 
hey ken,

i always strive to learn.
whether it be learning a new technique or new computer software.

or learning a new tablature on the guitar.

long ago i realized that life would be pretty boring without "creativity"

mark

------------------

Mark Fair

Mark Fair Signs
http://www.markfair.com

I Don't Work... I dis-PLAY

2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107
334-262-4449

mark@markfair.com

"Mark Fair is a Proud Contributor to The Letterhead Site!"

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B Daniel
Visitor
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Daniel   Email B Daniel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I attended a Thermalheads (Edge Users)confernece in Atlanta this past weekend.
Mark Roberts gave a couple of seminars on pricing/sales. Informative.
I learned a little more about photoshop and file management. Learned about the "static" method of applying vinyl.
Found out you could clean the sprockets on your plotter and edge with a clear bic pen that you took the pen part out of. That little tidbit seemed to be common knowledge, but I didn't know it. Here I've been scraping the adhesive off with an exacto all these years.
The design seminar was more about thinking out of the box. They broke us into groups and gave each group the same 3 shapes of Plexi and the same sets of copy and graphicss printed black on static cling material. It was interesting what the differant groups came up with. It was like playing with colorforms when you were a kid.
All in all, I was glad I went.

------------------
Beth Daniel
Murfreesboro, TN

Posts: 86 | From: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Stoddard
Visitor
Member # 39

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Stoddard   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Stoddard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Mike Lavallee's and John Hannukaine's boot camp and learned a lot! No I didn't expect to leave there being able to stripe and paint murals perfectly but I left with more than I had thought I would. I have been working with paint for about 5 years, mostly airbrushing and spraying, but I learned some basic techniques that gave me the confidence to forge ahead. Since then I have used what I learned on several jobs with great success (although they took much longer than Mike's and of course were not nearly as perty). Just last week I did a job and the customer gave me a $100.00 tip! And my price was already more than some others he had received. I love to learn..... its the practice that gets a little frustrating, but worth it.

------------------
Brian Stoddard
Expressions Signs
A few puddles east of Seattle

Posts: 790 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LazyEdna
Visitor
Member # 266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LazyEdna   Author's Homepage   Email LazyEdna   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee.. I just read history, philosophy, art, and femi-nazi books... And none of them are ANY help with business.... But.. I can answer a LOT of the questions on Jeopardy!
LE

------------------
LazyEdna
in RL known as Sara Straw
from southern Utah
5 National Parks within 3 hours drive
Red Rock Heaven

Posts: 776 | From: Aurora, Utah, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had problems with asking for money all my life. Some of this might be due to a low self esteem and/or a fear of rejection. This is a practise that affects not only your business, but the lifestyle of all those who depend on us. We have to kill this dragon once and for all!
On our recent trip to Florida, we had the pleasure of visiting Chip and Marilyn Carter on beautiful Sanibal Island. The work og their company, Island Designs, is featured in the current issue of SignCraft. Beautiful designs that fit in well with their environment.

I may not be the sharpest tack in the package, but I do know enough to take advise from those that have or are doing what I want to do. When it comes to making a dollar in the sign business, Chip is one guy I choose to listen to.

Now for the big news! Chip has put all his proven business methods into an book called "Make Your Sign Business Successful." You cannot buy this book in any bookstore. It is only available at Chip's website in Adobe Acrobat Format. I've read it and urge those of you who have the pricing challenges I do, to do the same. If you are ready, this book may well change your life!

Take a look for yourselves. www.sign-consultants.com

------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673
steve@letterhead.com
ICQ 316338
www.letterhead.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah Clark
Deceased

Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarah Clark   Email Sarah Clark       Edit/Delete Post 
Selling has always been a stumbling block for me too. I do not like to deal with people much and pushing anything on them. If I were to pay 67$ for this book I would want it in real live book form though. I much prefer reading a real book to an online one.

------------------
S. Clark
Clark Signs (retired)
Compton, Arkansas
sasc@alltel.net
http://members.xoom.com/sclark/

Posts: 602 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to improve one's self is to help others. Hence the Letterhead movement!

------------------
Linda Silver Eagle #5653
Silver Eagle Graphix Studio in GA, USA
Big on Murals and Tight on Camera Ready

Proud Supporter of this Site!

"Old Sign Writers never die, they've always got 1-Shot left!"

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gailforce
Visitor
Member # 152

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gailforce   Author's Homepage   Email Gailforce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in the past 3.5 years, i've made a point of learning all the streets in my town.

it has helped so much. i have delivered newspapers, pizzas, telephone books; enumerated, been a voting clerk, you name the address, i've been there.

it sure helps keep me well-rounded and because i know how to drive and where to go i can continue to finance this silly obssession i've got with painting things...

------------------
"I gave it all up for this!" (formerly known as "?")
Gailforce Graphics
Squamish, BC, Canada

Posts: 590 | From: Squamish, BC, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$67 is a big ticket for a book without lotsa color glossy photo's!

The save tree's by printing it out yourself logic is not one that I'd try to use to position myself for a sale with one of my clients.

------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California
"Where the Redwoods meet the Surf"

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How often have we argued that a sign is worth more than just the cost of the board and paint?

Using the same logic, Chip's book should be worth more than a hard cover and glossy pictures. Maybe he's selling the ideas in the book. I got my money's worth, and then some.

------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
rchapman@vvm.com

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If someone's going to give me a PROVEN blueprint for success, then I don't care if it's written on toilet paper. It's the content and ideas that're worth the investment.

------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail kjmlhenry@home.

Tom Rose
Resident

Member # 606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Rose   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ken,

About 4 years ago I purchased Tony Robbins' Personal Power tapes for about $ 180.00, I think it was a great investment..... covers many areas of our lives, and keeps me realizing that I am the only one holding me back. Since using ( and reusing the tapes ) I have raised my rates several times, and have a better attitude about money.
The tapes help address areas such as procrastination, overeating, relationships and on and on.
These tapes will do nothing unless YOU take action!

I tend to buy other motivational tapes occasionally also, as they keep me " fired up "
Good post....

------------------
Tom Rose
1938 Model Sign Dude
Proud to be a Letterhead Supplier ( Books & Videos )
T.Rose Signs Whitehall,PA
610-264-2541
E-mail tomrose@fast.net

Posts: 327 | From: Whitehall,PA,USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 7 years ago I went back to school fulltime for half a year. Graphic Design. It was the greatest gift I ever gave myself.

As for now, being a relatively new mom, I can't devote more time to school (if I could, I'd go back another 2 years in high end graphic design), so for the timebeing, I attempt to better my efforts by means of books, sign related magazines, internet sites and especially this site.

I refer to Gary Anderson's books alot when designing logos. Very inspirational.

------------------
Graphic Impact
located in BC Canada
gisigns@sprint.ca

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the way you think Ken Henry.

------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673
steve@letterhead.com
ICQ 316338

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diane Crowther
Visitor
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diane Crowther   Email Diane Crowther   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got around to reading Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus...it's only been out about 10 years. I thought I knew everything that was in it, but I was wrong. This is absolutely the best information on male/female communication going.

As working partners, my husband and I, like many of you, have spent 24 hrs/day, 7 days/week together for the last 10 years. We have a great relationship, so I didn't think I'd learn too much from this book, but I am interested in communications in general so I read it. I can't tell you what a difference it has made to know exactly where he's coming from. I now know precisely why some things I do are so irritating to him, and vice versa.

It's well written, humourous, and very easy to read and understand. I'd recommend it to everyone.

Business-wise, Rob Ivers tapes on vinyl application are excellent. Michael Gerber's The E-Myth (with E being entrepreneurial) tells us about working "on" our businesses as well as "in" them. And, as mentioned by someone else, Tony Robbins' Personal Power is good for all-round self-improvement - including (STEVE, this is for you...) feelings about making money that keep us from doing it.

As you can tell, Ken, I'm big on learning and self-improvement. That's also why I frequent this BB , it's a virtual cornucopia of knowledge!

------------------
Diane Crowther, Metaline Graphics Ltd., Nova Scotia, Canada, ID #285

Posts: 516 | From: Hubbards, NS Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Books are great inspirational tools. Of course, I'm biased.... But the inspiration from mine (hopefully) will only cost you $25. And yes, its full color throughout.

Sorry for the shameless plug Steve!

------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
Union, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"You won't get wise with the sleep still in your eyes, no matter what your dream may be" - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chip Carter
Visitor
Member # 1464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chip Carter   Author's Homepage   Email Chip Carter       Edit/Delete Post 
It is nice to see the wonderful comments as well as the valid points about my book, "Make Your Sign Business Successful"

One of the good points is that you can read it for free. It has a 3 month no questions asked money back guarantee.

There are numerous books being offered on the web this way now. How many of us print out the postings here before reading them. If you do want a printed copy then simply hit the print button on your computer after downloading it.

This book is about improving the quality of your life, removing stress, working less hours and taking home more money if you choose to do so.

I learned how to make an excellent living in the business I love dearly and I am passing that information on but not for free. I don't make signs for free either.

Here is another point from the book. If I offered to pay you say 10,000.00 a year for as many years as you wanted it if all you had to do was pay me 47.00 one time would you make the investment? Yes that's right 47.00 not 67.00. But hurry ;-)

PS Hope to see you in my class in Boise.

Sincerely,

Chip Carter
info@sign-consultants.com http://sign-consultants.com
Sanibel Island, FL

------------------
Success is just a click away!

Posts: 32 | From: Sanibel, FL | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a good chance to welcome Chip as a new Letterville Merchant. Chip and his wife Marilyn are no strangers to Letterheads. Drop by the new Letterville Merchant Page at www.letterhead.com/suppliers/ to learn more about Chip's new online book.

------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673
steve@letterhead.com
ICQ 316338

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!