Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Problems with vinyl applied to foam lettering....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problems with vinyl applied to foam lettering....
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lettervillians:

I am having problems with vinyl applied to extruded foam insulation lettering. I used 2" blue household construction foam insulation for these letters which were painted with water-based gray primer. Then I applied 2 mil cast vinyl lettering over top. Over the last 3 months a large number of bubbles up to 1/2" in diameter have showed up all over the vinyl lettering.

Of course I'm going to prick the bubbles and flatten the vinyl lettering. But I'm wondering if anyone has had similar problems and whether construction grade foam insulation is suitable for signage. Does it outgas for a long time?

In this particular case the lettering had to be as light as possible for a suspended store display.

Happy Signing....Marty

------------------
Marty Happy
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada

e-mail: "happyad@sk.sympatico.ca"

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VICTORGEORGIOU
Visitor
Member # 474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VICTORGEORGIOU   Email VICTORGEORGIOU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the blue foam works fine with an acrylic face attached with a good adhesive or just plain face.

we have not tried vinyl, but we have noticed that some foams appear to have release liner residue, and if that is not cleaned off before application, then there is an adhesive failure. you will find out when you punch the bubbles. If the adhesive still works, then gas is the likely explanation. if the adhesive is gone, it is likely residue.

you can test for outgas by making a sample and getting it very hot for 24 hours. put it under a heat lamp in a warm area and see what happens. good luck!

------------------
Victor Georgiou
Bob Loves Signs
Danville, CA
email blssigns@verio.com

Posts: 1746 | From: Danville, CA , USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 2 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem with lettering enamels on that type of foam....outside signs... looks like I will be replacing them.
But, I made a set of 48" tall letters that I lightly sanded and applied latex paint with no problems!!!! go figure !

------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs
Kingsland, GA
ICQ# 5165335
John@FineWoodSigns.com
>>> inovator extraordinar <<<
www.finewoodsigns.com

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to give plenty of extra drying time when using water base primers & paints on styrene & HDU.
Even the slightest amount of moisture, trapped between the foam and the alkyd topcoat (or vinyl), will try to escape outward, because it cannot be absorbed into the substrate.

------------------
SCP
spurcell99@mediaone.net
Cape Cod, MA

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even fresh(& cured) paint needs to be cleaned before applying vinyl, also what you clean with can cause bubbles.If you can smell the paint,its probably not cured enough yet. Roger

------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
Merlin, OR

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you apply the vinyl to latex primer, without a coat of gloss enamel? If so, that is your problem.... vinyl doesn't adhere to a flat finish very well! Especially a latex flat!

------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA
(714) 521-4810
ICQ # 330407
"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Brushasaurus on Chat

Gladly supporting this BB !

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Si:

The vinyl is actually adhering very well except for bubbles as large as a 1/2" over 1/4 to a 1/3 of the vinyl surface. I'm inclined to think it's either the primer or foam outgassing and forcing up the vinyl bubbles.

Happy Signing....Marty

------------------
Marty Happy
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada

e-mail: "happyad@sk.sympatico.ca"

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marty,what did you clean with before applying vinyl? just curious ! Roger

------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
Merlin, OR

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!