Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Anyone using a RIP for lg format printing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone using a RIP for lg format printing?
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an HP 2500 and have been using Future RIP as thats all I have at the time. I am having so much trouble learning all the in's and out's of Gamut, color matching, etc. Can someone help me?

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 3 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post 
When I finally went "High Tech" it was with a
Graphic Advantage 6.2 program that came with it's
own PRINTED GUIDE which helped me understand the tools and workings of the program.

The ONLY other way I would suggest is the "READ ME" part of ALL programs.

Hope this helps

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a book but there isn't much there. I can't even get a grayscale image to print grayscale. Everything prints with senna tint to it.

[ December 30, 2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Laura Butler ]

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Burns
Visitor
Member # 268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Burns   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laura,
The colors you see on screen are RGB. The colors you print are CMYK. RGB is 256 colors....CMYK is 100 plus its numerous shades. When you see the "blue" or "green" or "whatever" on screen, it will never print exactly the same colors. Some colors, especially blue, are prone to this. It's impossible to make 100 colors print as 256 colors!
I'm greatly simplifying this whole process......I'm barely scratching the surface.
You have to start thinking as a PRINTER, rather than a SIGNWRITER. Apples and oranges. You may be able to get more in depth help from www.flaar.com.
You can also check out the PANTONE site and TRUMATCH.com. BE READY FOR A STEEP LEARNING CURVE!

--------------------
Bob Burns

www.vondutch.freeservers.com

Posts: 2121 | From: Prescott, Arizona, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Thanks Bob, learned all that in school a few years back. Read some Flaar reports but I have to go deeper. I don't know if a more expensive RIP software would be easier or not. I know about being in Gamut or out of Gamut and color profiles but I don't know how to fix it if I am out of Gamut.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Bob Burns
Visitor
Member # 268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Burns   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 4 color (CMYK)printer is about 50% (or a bit less)able to print accurate color. You need a 6 color or even better...an 8 color printer to get you up to the 98% range. With 4 color all you can hope for is "close". Some colors are right on, but some are notoriously off. I found on my setup, if you have a choice in printing CMYK or RGB mode.....the RGB is much more accurate. My printer is 8-color, so I don't have the problems you are having (I don't think).

--------------------
Bob Burns

www.vondutch.freeservers.com

Posts: 2121 | From: Prescott, Arizona, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Laura,
I'm using Amiables Photo Print rip on an Encad 42e. Color profiles for the inks and papers can make a lot of difference. This still doesn't mean that what you see on the screen will be what you will get when the print comes out. Everything would need to be calibrated...your monitor, scanner, printer, etc... in able to get as close a color match as possible. With my rip there are a lot of print settings like "relative colorametric, absolute colorametric, perseptual, and image matching". Vector, bitmap, and even when using pms colors require a different selection for a better print....not perfect, but better. Like Bob said, read the book and you may just have to print enough small samples until you get the desired result. When you find the right setting for that type of image, keep notes on the settings for that type of paper. Eventually it will get easier.
I'm deffinately not an expert, but this it what I've found with the rip I'm using.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good post Tony!

Media profiles can make a HUGE difference...as can colour calibration.

Of ALL of the RIPs I've looked at: Scanvec Amiable's "PhotoPrint" offers the best balance of colour management, user-friendly workflow and affordability...Well worth your consideration Laura!

[ December 31, 2003, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Jon Aston ]

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big confusion issue here. When was printing more on the NovaCut 24 with Flexi 5.8 the Rip was built into the program. Like Tony said choices of substrate and ink. The problem was the distributor recommended buying only Go ink as opposed to changing inks in the bulk system. Early on this confused me as well as caused a little distrust of the distributor. Later I did have success using his suggestions with various rolled stock from various bonds to backlit stock.

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Laura,
We use Poster Shop to run our Encads here.
Like Tony & Jon said, profiling will make a world of difference and it really isn't all that difficult or expensive to do.
We managed to get excellent results using Adobe Gamma to calibrate our monitors and vendor supplied profiles for the media and inks.
Last spring we took a class on color management offered by Graphic Intelligence Agency, Inc. and it was money well spent. Within a month of taking the class our reprints because of poor color were reduced by at least 90%.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!