Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Vandelism

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vandelism
Judy Hilliker
Visitor
Member # 236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Hilliker   Author's Homepage   Email Judy Hilliker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you do about vandalism?! I've had 4 of my HDU signs vandalized. One...twice! What do you do about it? Kids!!!!....they have body slammed two of them...broke them in half. How is the construction on yours to keep them durable? Any help? Judy

--------------------
Judy Hilliker/owner
Hae Jude Custom Signs
Silver Creek, NY
www.haejude.com

Posts: 65 | From: Silver Creek, NY 14136 USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Sill
Visitor
Member # 4358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Sill   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Sill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's really infuriating, I know. How thick HDU are you using? In my experience, I use HDU very little, and when I do, I put a crossbar behind it top and bottom. It means a little more priming and painting, but a 2x4 is harder to break, anyway. There are also metal studs that could be used. When we have vandalism it's usually little delinquents throwing rocks at the raised letters, and my bugaboo is replacing stud mounted letters when the studs on the new letters aren't in the same position as the old!!!

--------------------
Steve Sill
Americana Signs
301 E. Main St
Front Royal VA 22630

Posts: 6 | From: Front Royal VA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post 
On a d/p sign greater than 36"w, I recommend 3/4"-1" SignFoam over a core of mdo.
This system is both strong and resilient. And in 15 years of using SignFoam, I have yet to see it fail.

Bear in mind, however, that nothing is vandal-proof. The problem is not with the signs, it's with the neighborhood morons. [Dunno]

(sp)

[ December 30, 2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Steve Purcell ]

--------------------
Steve Purcell
Purcell Woodcarving & Signmaking
Cape Cod, MA

Intelligent Design Is No Accident

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VICTORGEORGIOU
Visitor
Member # 474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VICTORGEORGIOU   Email VICTORGEORGIOU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judy, once a group of kids get going on signs as you describe, there's not a lot you can do except reinforce your signs better or go to different construction. Or dream the impossible dream they will get caught in the act.

There's a ground sign here in town that was a hard coat over a foam of some kind. Once the kids figured out that the sign was not concrete, they picked at it and picked at it. This went on for over a year. Then one morning half the sign was gone. The sign is now concrete.

I think the answer to why kids do it is like the question of why people climb Mt Everest. Because it is there and because they can. It's a game to them. They just don't appreciate the damage they are causing. There are no consequences because no one ever gets caught. I have seen many many vandalized signs and know of only one case where anyone was caught and punished. In that case, the kid was tagging walls with a symbol. He was very proud of that symbol because he also used it to decorate all his school books. That's how they got him.

Wish I could give you a happier answer. Vic G

--------------------
Victor Georgiou
Danville, CA , USA

Posts: 1746 | From: Danville, CA , USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Judy, I do not try to vandal proof a sign anymore. If you can build it, the can destrot it! What I do is inform every customer to make sure thier new sign is "insured"!!!! That way it is vandal proof...........I can build as many as they can destroy!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Judy, I do not try to vandal proof a sign anymore. If you can build it, the can destrot it! What I do is inform every customer to make sure thier new sign is "insured"!!!! That way it is vandal proof...........I can build as many as they can destroy!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Hilliker
Visitor
Member # 236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Hilliker   Author's Homepage   Email Judy Hilliker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input...has anyone here done any wood (I was asked about that too)like (cedar/redwood) for the carved look like HDU. Is it cost effective? I figured the wood is probably twice as much if not more. Do they even look as smooth as the HDU when finished? I've only used HDU. Judy

--------------------
Judy Hilliker/owner
Hae Jude Custom Signs
Silver Creek, NY
www.haejude.com

Posts: 65 | From: Silver Creek, NY 14136 USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judy....go with Tony's suggestion!

If the kids are bodyslamming the sign, it will be destroyed, no matter what you do!

[FYI]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judy
If you figure materials only you can do a blasted sign in redwood for about the
same price as hdu
I think there may ba a little more work involved
since the wood comes in 2x4 2x6 2x8 etc
and you must glue the blank..stain...etc
If you want to try some redwood..
call Matthiews and Field in Rochester
they have 2 locations.....one on the north side of town
the other in Henrietta..
I can dig out a phone number for you if you want
they have some excellent redwood to choose from.

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post 
Judy

Out of your hands and into the hands of the owner for Insurance Liability..

Remember after the install fact.... Any Vandalism
is under their insurance.

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!