Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Another anti-static tip

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another anti-static tip
Jeff Spradling
Visitor
Member # 1615

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jeff Spradling   Email Jeff Spradling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must have a lot of energy with all the static I apparently produce. [Eek!] While posting about the tinsel thing I thought about another issue I've had in the past with static. This goes back to my painting days(don't do much of that anymore)but it can help with vinyl too. If your substrate is plastic of any kind you can either wipe down or spray the back of the substrate with rubbing alcohol.

If you paint you'll now what I'm talking about when you wipe something like a bug shield or a plastic race car nose or tail and the paint gets sucked out of your brush into that nice cobweb design. Just a little rubbing alcohol on the back side and your good to go.(Not your back side) [Wink]

Jeff

--------------------
Jeff's Lettering
Lisa,Luke,Dara, and Jeff Spradling
5742 Shattuck Rd. Belvidere, Il.
61008 815-544-0167

Surviving another day.

Posts: 626 | From: Belvidere, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use rubbing alcohol as a final prep on all my vehicles and use it on the painted side instead of the back side like you mentioned, because it evaporates so fast anyway. It definately kills static and cleans the surface at the same time. As much of it as we use we should have stock in the company. Rubbing alcohol also added with a few drops of dish soap in a gallon of water makes a great cleaner as well as an application fluid for applying wet vinyl graphics. Rubbing alcohol also cleans up mistakes when using HOK urethane lettering and striping enamel.

So let's hear it for rubbing alcohol -- static killer/cleaner -- kind enough for a baby's butt, but tough enough for the demands of the 21st century sign shop.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Bagaas
Visitor
Member # 3808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Bagaas   Email Jim Bagaas       Edit/Delete Post 
Careful on warm days though,I've had rags catch
on fire wiping down lexan faces.
Still are good cleaner just be careful

--------------------
Jim Bagaas
Orlando,Fla.

Posts: 339 | From: Orlando,Fla | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!