Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Are there EXTERIOR grade LED lights?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are there EXTERIOR grade LED lights?
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hospital customer wants 12"tall satin aluminum letters with a "back glow" of hidden LED lights so they get the light washing out around the letters at night. Is there an LED that works outdoors, 6 stories up in high wind/rain/bird environment? Their architect specked the LED because of its long lifeability and lack of maintenence needs (like changing bulbs). What are my options?

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LED's themselves are weatherproof, it's the connections between them that you have to make sure are sealed up.

Here's a site with a few options:

http://www.led.net/datasheets/RGB.htm

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are outdoor durable, you should contact Sloan or Permalight for specs, I just hope the architect didn't spec white, it is way more expensive than red, green or blue, it illuminates unevenly(varies in shades of white), and not as bright, the lettrs can be thinner than normal halo illumination, but still should be thick enough to not have hot spots. By the way 12" letters seem a little small for a 6 story buiding......

[ December 29, 2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Rick Chavez ]

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have to be a licensed electrician to work with LED's? I'm curious as I have soem things I have wanted to make and market but didn't know if I could do it legally. I tried searching the web but didn't come up with much.

I seem to recall someone mentioining UL Certification for LED's but I could find anything on their site either!

Thanks.

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Bagaas
Visitor
Member # 3808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Bagaas   Email Jim Bagaas       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree thats a wee bit small for that height..
customers always right though......
Are your electic stuff inside or in a channel?
Also you can get the lamps with different light
spreads ( 8 or 12 degrees) the degrees will
show different on a halo set-up.
Your letters are small but you should try to
cover the lamps and such a bit with 1/16" lexan
to keep things clean and dry,birds also...

--------------------
Jim Bagaas
Orlando,Fla.

Posts: 339 | From: Orlando,Fla | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Duncan
Visitor
Member # 316

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mike Duncan   Email Mike Duncan       Edit/Delete Post 
If you make the backs clear polycarbonate the light should spill out OK I would think, and the components would be protected inside the letter.
12" letters should be readable at 500'-600', but would appear really small I would think-I know what you are saying about the customer always being right. [Dunno] I think if you use 12 volt leds, you may not have to worry about UL, but don't quote me. Have fun with this job!
Mike Duncan
(from the Left Coast)

--------------------
Mike Duncan(from the left coast)
Astoria, Oregon

Posts: 367 | From: Astoria, Oregon 97103 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since when is a customer right when you all agree that 12" is too small-Customers are idiots---- especially architects [Wink] hehehe

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

If I remember right, they are low voltage which means no UL, if they needed to be UL, the stroke have to be pretty wide (If I remember right 2" from the lamp to edge of the letter-in this case 4 1/2"-4 3/4" strokes), kinda hard with small letters. I recently designed letter with white halo, and it looked bad-we put diffusion vinyl and tried other things-the color still looked uneven-though Phillip never mentioned color....

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look into GELcore lighting

3.5 v -doesn't require license to install
200000 hrs life

They have a selection of indoor/outdoor power supplies

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post 
Gemini makes an awesome channel letter case, and Gerber now offers led lights to install inside the sealed unit....a great idea! Gerber calls it Northstar Lighting Systems, (I think). I saw it at a trade show in September @ Advantage Sign Supply.

I still think I would hire a licensed person to install. That way, my reputation stays in tact, even tho the profit is slightly smaller.

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
more information regarding my project- the halo color is white. 12" letters is still the basis for the quote but I got some letter visibility stats from Gemini and USSC that I'll feed to the architect & see if he responds to reason. Is neon the wrong way to go Here? (ie: Is LED better?) Thanks to all for their $0.02 already. Phil.

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Bagaas
Visitor
Member # 3808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Bagaas   Email Jim Bagaas       Edit/Delete Post 
If they will go bigger,neon will give you a much better look.
Of course there will be more work and extra stuff to worry about.lots of electic things to
protect from the weather ( high voltage )

--------------------
Jim Bagaas
Orlando,Fla.

Posts: 339 | From: Orlando,Fla | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

I don't reccomend white halo, (unless you are stuck with a small letterstroke) and I think if the LED salesman was honest, they would probably tell you the same. Neon will illuminate it better-I would have a different opinion if it were red, green or yellow....

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!