Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Hello, I am...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello, I am...
Travis Lytle
Visitor
Member # 4357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travis Lytle   Email Travis Lytle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New here! Just thought I'd intoduce myself, my name is Travis and have a passion for wild graphics. I've recently picked up the airbrush and am taking classes for that. I also picked up a few pinstriping brushes along with a couple cans of 1shot to try my hand at pinstriping. Aslong as I can keep down on the caffinee to keep my hand from shaking! heh I used to do art when I was young, and well you know it was time for a job and all so to work I went, well for the past few years I've been getting back into art. I've been checking every web site I can find, and this seems like an awesome bb. Well I guess here is my newbie question for pinstriping, do I need to use reducer? Or do I just use the 1shot right out of the can? What do I use to clean the brush? And can I use neatsfoot oil as brush preservative? Gah I know that's more than one question... sorry 8\

Time to sift thru the auto art mags to find my own answers 8)

Travis

--------------------
Travis Lytle
Loc: Indiana
email: travrt@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 7 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy Haas
Visitor
Member # 472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troy Haas   Email Troy Haas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Travis,
Welcome to Letterville!!!!!

I will let the ones with more experience way in on your questions. I am still learning myself.

What part of Indiana are you from??? As you can see by my signature line, I am from Evansville.

Again, Welcome!!!!

--------------------
Troy "Metalleg" Haas
626 Kingswood Dr
Evansville,In 47715

Posts: 1100 | From: Evansville,Indiana, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Travis Lytle
Visitor
Member # 4357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travis Lytle   Email Travis Lytle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Kokomo about 45 mins straight north of Indy on highway 31. Glad to see there are other people wanting to learn pinstriping in the area! I had to drive all the way to Indy to find some mack brushes and 1shot at Bates Art Supplies!

Travis

--------------------
Travis Lytle

Posts: 7 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy Haas
Visitor
Member # 472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troy Haas   Email Troy Haas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to learn is to go to a "Live" Letterhead meet. They are great!!!

If you can make it there is one in South Carolina at the end of March, check out this link

Future Live Meets

Look for the "Dixie Meet".

Hope this helps....

--------------------
Troy "Metalleg" Haas
626 Kingswood Dr
Evansville,In 47715

Posts: 1100 | From: Evansville,Indiana, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome aboard, Travis!
Your enthsiasm is contagious! I am only a wanna-be as far as pinstriping goes, but there are tons of folks on this BB who are well-versed at it.
The best thing is for you to try to find a live Letterhead or Pinhead meet ASAP! But until then, this is the next best thing. And it is a great BB!
Love- JILL

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Travis Lytle
Visitor
Member # 4357

A PanelJam would be awesome to go to, it's finding one close and the time to go heh. I'm more mainly worried about the distance, as I really don't want to drive 8 hours to get there! Looks like there are a few in MI in the coming year, maybe I can make it to one of those! But for now airbrushing is my main goal now and just wanted to dabble with the pinstriping in the background to give something else to do from time to time. I need to hit up the local sign shop again for some alum panels! So until I can make it to a Jam, I just wanna practice sooo badly!~ heh

On a side note after browsing the msg board some I must say you letterheads are THEE very most friendly bunch of people I've met online! And I've been online now going on 10 years now! So that's saying a lot, and I REALLY do mean it!

Well catch ya later at the end of your strip!

Travis

--------------------
Travis Lytle

Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Travis...

The shaking hand will let up when you relax...pull that brush like you've been at it a hundred years and remember to breath...holding your breath is devestating while pulling a line, breathing is essential...take notice you probably don't even know your breathing differently than you would normally.

Thinners are essential (you'll learn the proper mixture as you try.

I'm a "signwriter" but the basics hold true for us as well as stripers.

Neetsfoot is good (I happen to prefer lard oil)althought it is harder to find these days.

Be sure to oil those brushes once before you use them...it will keep the first usage from creating a build up of paint in the "heal"...store them by shaping them and storing them flat.

Make it to a meet (Letterhead or Pinhead) and find someone that knows what they are doing and discuss "pruning" those macks to make them do what you want to do instead of them making you do what they are suited for.

Hope you enjoy it here and remember the only dumb question is the one that never gets asked.

Again Welcome! [Smile]

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Thompson
Resident

Member # 3726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email Donald Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Travis,
The meet in March will be at my place here in Laurens,SC. You can probably catch a ride with someone headed this way. I am new to all of this too. We would love to see some new faces at the meet. Please feel free to come.

--------------------
Donald Thompson
#1 Sign Designs
580 Templeton Rd.
Laurens,SC 29360
864-682-7810
1signdesigns@backroads.net
www.1signdesigns.com

Posts: 1525 | From: Laurens, SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Lettervile, Travis.

Sound like you should check out the Lettehead Merchants page and save youself the drive later when you need brushes.
I spent years driving 2 hours each way for Macks and have since learned to shop smarter and save time and gas money.

Driving 8 hours to a Letterhead meet is well worth it if you can do it. My first meet took 4 hours to get to, but after spending 3 days with some of the great people I met, I had so much great information and new ideas running through my thick skull that the drive home felt like 15 minutes.
Check out the Future Meets page and make it a point to schedule a trip.

Have fun pinnin'...
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike McCloud
Visitor
Member # 766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike McCloud   Email Mike McCloud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reducer is essential. Paint consistancy is everything. Too thin and the brush tip 'skates' all over the place. Too thick and little 'skips' are seen at the edges of the line. You will soon be able to tell the difference when the consistancy is right. Chromatic High-Temp reducer(don't know if its still available) is the place to start, it changes the viscosity of the paint without thinning it. Also, when the weather gets warm you will need to 'slow' the working time with something like Chromatic Chromaflo. I'm not sure if that's still available either. I still have a couple of gallons left so I haven't been looking. The Chromaflo is added in small amounts to the reducer to increase working time. Slick, shinny magazine pages are good to use as palletts. Don't use old phonebooks, the news print sucks the vehicle out of the paint and makes it weak. The best thing to keep brushes in is Saphire Brush Oil. It has no acid and will make your brushes last longer. Don't use petrolium based oils, they have acids. Also, animal based oils get rancid and draw critters. Clean your brushes with mineral spirits(paint thinner). It has almost no solvency and is not as harsh as most other things that you could use. Practice, practice, practice. Use your own car or truck, then just wipe off the paint with mineral spirits. It won't hurt the paint at all. You could get painted panel from a body shop that has been removed from a car, but still has a large flat surface, such as a hood. Practice, practice, practice.

--------------------
Mike McCloud
Brighton, MI
doublehaul@comcast.net

Posts: 116 | From: Brighton, MI | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Travis

Welcome aboard! This site is cool! [Cool] I am an old pinstriper turned sign maker. Keep your eyes open, you can't help but learn alot. And remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question here. [Cool]

Warm Regards,

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Travis, After you get going with a brush, remember that it goes into the thinner first, then the paint, then the pallette. It helps so much to simply watch a pro and ask dumb questions. Or better yet ask them to show you (at a meet). They will hand you the brush! I learned by adding pinstriping to any plain simple sign I did.
Get some #00 Scharff brushes! enjoy. . . . . John Arnott

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Travis,

One thing about this board, you're going to get varied advice. And although there is always several ways to do anything, eventually you'll realize that practice and doing is the most important advice. You can be intimidated sitting next to a veteran striper or airbrush artist at a letterhead meet. But what they'll all tell you is it took a long time to develope their skills and they didn't give up when the results were less than expected in the beginning. What one person makes look easy is unbelieveably difficult at first. Hang in there and get involved. It will come with perserverance.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Letterville Travis.

I haven't done any striping for years so I can't help you there. But if you have an unusual 3D project and don't know where to start I could probably give you a few pointers. [Smile]

-dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Joiner
Visitor
Member # 1814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Joiner   Email Kathy Joiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Letterville. You have done yourself a great favor in finding this place. Just hang around here for a while and you will learn so much. The practice advice is the best.

Ray is right, once you go to one meet you will find it worth your while. Never mind, I lied! You will become addicted to meets and will crawl on your hands and knees for 8 hrs. to get to one.

--------------------
Kathy Joiner
River Road Graphics
41628 River Road
Ponchatoula, La.70454

Old enough to know better...Too young to resist.

Posts: 1891 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotta laugh because when you read Kathy Joiner's comment about crawling 8 hours to a meet, you will think it an exaggeration ... until of course you finally get to one. Then, you'll understand.

Just no way to describe it other than, you can feel the love! And not in a weird cult-like way either! Especially if you are one to appreciate the kindness and knowledge of others.

It'll change your life and you will have a different perspective on things. The one Donald mentions is coming up soon. That one would be perfect for you. I have always said that pinstripers are a breed unto themselves. A wild and unbridled breed at that! hahahaaa If you can make it, be prepared to have your sox knocked off!

Welcome to the bb! It's great to have you.
Nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Letterville,Travis! Kathy and Nettie are telling you like it is. I am driving 6 1/2 hours from south Georgia to go to Donald's meet in March.You don't want to miss ths meet!
Also click on that green CHAT button in the left column and come chat with us. I am SignLady on the chat. See you there!
Judy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan E Young
Visitor
Member # 2325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan E Young   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan E Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome I try to keep my driving down to13 14 hours then its time to fly. It is always worth it 10 fold

--------------------
Ryan Young
Indocil Art & Design
indocil@comporium.net
803-980-6765

I highjacked Letterville!!
Winter Muster 2004

Posts: 904 | From: Rock Hill, SC | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Parr
Visitor
Member # 3868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Parr   Email Dave Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Travis,

Welcome to the community! I've been through Kokomo a few times. [Wink] My Mother is from Kokomo & many relatives still live there. Heck, I was born not far from there myself. It's been about eighteen years since I've done much pinstriping or hand lettering, so I too will stand aside and listen. Just wanted to say hello & welcome aboard.

Dave

--------------------
Dave Parr
Sign Painter
USA

Posts: 709 | From: USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Ryall
Visitor
Member # 3221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Ryall   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Ryall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan 11 / 04 Canton Michigan $50 or $60 at the door 734-397-1270

--------------------
REBEL with a cause, and a loaded Airbrush!

Posts: 73 | From: Ruthven Ont. Can. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunny Holtzlander
Visitor
Member # 4012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunny Holtzlander   Author's Homepage   Email Sunny Holtzlander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Travis!
I'm your neighbor to the north about 25 or so miles, in Peru!
I haven't learned to pick up a brush yet. This place really makes me want to tho!
Nice to see a neighbor now and then!

--------------------
Sunny Holtzlander
The Edge Graphics
67 S. Broadway
Peru, IN 46970
765-473-3828

Posts: 40 | From: Peru, Indiana | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!