Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Holiday horror show!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Holiday horror show!
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true. If you live long enough, you see everything.

Last Tuesday, a long time customer caught up with me and asked if I could sneak in a lettering job for his new business van before the holiday. We discussed some of the details of what was going on it, including a logo he already has, and he planned to get me all the necessary info before the weekend was done. He also mentioned the van was scheduled to be repainted the following morning.

Figuring on those details, I set a ballpark figure for the job, planned on cutting the vinyl needed over the weekend, and scheduled it for today, Monday.

The following night, Wednsday, he emailed me the logo with a note that the repainting was going to be a day or two late.
I stopped in to have a peek where it was garaged Saturday afternoon, expecting to see a white van, and found it was still being worked on by the body shop guy and he would be repainting it SUNDAY!!! Next I knew, the body man is telling me he has never used that brand of paint before and wasn't sure what the results would be.

Now the fun REALLY starts...

I immediately went to the customer's with the intention of explaining that the freshly painted van would have to be worked on AFTER it had at least 24 hours to dry, but would still be willing to do it despite the delay.
He was out at the time and would not be back for the rest of the day.
I left a note explaining the situation, and where I cold be reached throughout the rest of the weekend, but still have not heard back from him.

He also did not send the rest of the info as planned.

He opens the business for the winter season this Friday, but my gut reaction is to drop this one before it gets any more dragged out.
This is just a case of poor planning on his part and does not constitute an emergency to me. I'm also not to fond of spending Christmas Eve doing something like this when it wasn't necessary.

I'm planning on heading over to the place in the morning and pushing this one back to the weekend, like it or not. If not, he can find someone else's feet to drag.

Normally I'll go the distance on a rush job, but when a 10 day window of opportunity to get it done gets slammed down to two days, you sometimes have to draw the line and let one go to another shop.

Not worth the headaches or schedule shuffling, and certainly shows how much importance this customer puts into getting something done right....none.

Just sharing a few notes...
Rapid

[ December 23, 2003, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray,
It sounds like you have already gone 'above and beyond' by the concern you have shown this customer.
I beleive you have done the right thing and you have earned a few good days off without worry or guilt. [Applause]
I applaud you for trying. No one needs this kind of pressure. As you say...his emergency is not your emergency. If he feels his business opening will be put in jeopardy, because his van is not ready on opening day.....that is his problem...not yours. Good things are worth waiting for. Haste makes waste.... Enjoy!

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can totally relate. A customer just called me yesterday, that his NEW van was ready for lettering any time this week. Plus, he also needs an old van relettered on one side. (fender bender repair)

Fortunately, he's a very nice respectful customer. I immediately pointed out that I was fully booked until Jan 5, however, if something came up, I'd give him a call.

Several times I changed things around in my head schedule wise to attempt to do the vans. I stopped myself today and told myself enough already! He called late, he said he'd be ok with waiting until I can do them and I need to leave it be. I do it to myself, want to do the impossible.

Jan 5 isn't that far off. [Smile]

Wise choice you made Ray. Those are the kinds of jobs we don't need all that bad.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do what you can, sometimes things don't go as planned, nothing to get upset over.
Delay wasn't your fault. I wouldn't ruin any of my holiday plans for it. You tried.
I'd politely tell him it now has to wait till your ready.

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Williams
Visitor
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Williams   Email Bruce Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray said:
". . .explaining that the freshly painted van would have to be worked on AFTER it had at least 24 hours to dry . . ."
------------------------------
Well then, that's that. You're not about to fool with wet paint. Very soon, the client would tell everybody that you don't know what you're doing. Of course it's he who doesn't, but that doesn't do you any good.

--------------------
Bruce Williams
Lexington KY

Posts: 945 | From: Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Lack of Planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"

That being said, I wouldn't let this van take up any more space in your head until at least Friday. You have enough things in your mind with the holiday, your kids, family. This disaster can wait.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya Rabid.
I'm with the others above me.
BUT...I have always been told that one must wait 2 weeks after a paint job to apply vinyl vehicle graphics due to outgassing.
I always do...is this correct?
Anyway, it would buy time.
I think that the dude will return after Christmas. Obviously he is rushing both you and the body shop.
You have done all that you can do.
So go put on your Santa boxers and enjoy the Holidays!
Love- JILL

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is normal......people think you just wave a wand and POOF!!! all the letters fall in place.
case and point, hennie comes home last nite with a letter size page, with a list of stuff they need in cut vinyl. well... then she says they want this tomarrow morning.....i look at it and said ok....you weed and help me tape,(then you will not be so quick to say things can be done that quick) this was R.T.A. order for some industrial complex.
we started after we came home from mexican dinner bout 7:30. 11:30 we taped the last page of 40 FEET X 20" WIDE VINYL!!!!
now heres the funny part, all the years she has been around me and signs, after all the vinyl was taped and i was making the invoice....she says, "gee i didnt think there was that much, it was just 1 page of paper!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!