Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » My work sucks!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My work sucks!
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, I was at my main dealership and was asked to remove a double line that I applied last week on a brand new Toyota. The color of the vehicle was a charcoal pearl w/ a grey interior and I striped it in a grey which was close to the color, and a coffee color to match the wood console in the interior. The people who were buying it asked if the striping could be removed because they felt it was too subtle. Of course the owners said they would get them another vehicle as the striping was there for life. I've been using 1-Shot lately with its catalyst and even though its only been on one week, removing it would certainly leave an image behind no matter what I used to remove it. I thought to myself if I spend time removing the striping, I would leave an open door for future removals when a future buyer didn't like my color choice. I never have anyone choose colors except maybe work out a design or two which may enhance the vehicle to their liking. Except for dealership work I choose everything right down to mini graphics if I see fit. Believe me, I never had a problem with anyone not liking what I've done. Saturday is my main day of working for that particular dealer and the ten vehicles they have me scheduled for Saturday hasn't changed because of one person disliking my work. If it weren't for this particular dealership, I would be on the bread line.

I'm explaining, not complaining.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Know what you mean, Joey.

Taking off the One Shot most likely would have done more harm than good.

Not sure what your standing is with the dealer, but maybe they could have the customer contact you to make the changes they want at your shop. Sounds like they want some more added so it stands out more, and that might be doable.

Ocassionally, I do stuff like that with a couple of dealers near me and it works out pretty well. I usually have a lot of freedom to pick colors and designs. The dealer makes the sale and the customer usually sends out some good "word of mouth" references for you.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this breaks your heart Joey...but if it were me I mask it with fine line (slightly wider) put on the colors they like and move on.Give it a good rubbing when your done (to get rid of the edge).

Might be a good idea to have them leave it with you a day or two somewhere you can do it without anyone looking.

if they are like the average bear they will never know the difference.

wadayathink

Hey just a thought!

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Percell
Merchant

Member # 399

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Ron Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you might explain what occurs when removing and offer to modify the colors seeing that you do put it on to last as said above.

Good luck Joey

--------------------
Ron Percell
Percell Signs
707-769-0639
Petaluma, California

Letterhead Sign Supply

Home of the MicroMeet!
Percell Signs Web Site
About the Author
Ron Percell

Posts: 913 | From: Petaluma,California,U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're bound to have someone every once in a while, who basically doesn't like what you did, but fortunately, that doesn't happen very often, at least with me. But it's funny how those incidents stay with you. I know I should just shrugg that stuff off, but it still seems to stick with me.... must be the artist thing coming out. So I can sympathize how something like that can bother you, 'cause I'm the same way.

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say:

"I'll be glad to come over with my belt sander to remove it!"

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 9 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"We like tape stripes, that way if a customer doesn't like it , we can just pull them off"
I can't tell you how many times I've heard that when trying to sell a new dealership on doing painted work [Frown]

I rarely get complaints about color choice either but just last week I was doing a bunch of sold cars at a Cadillac dealer. Normally I don't deal with the salesman directly but this one twit somehow managed to get involved. The car was a black Escalade, the customers wanted decorative striping, no straights. The salesman picked gold and red. He watched me do the ENTIRE job. AFTER I get done, he goes over to the guy I always deal with and asks if I can't darken the red up a little,"these folks are conservative" [Frown]
Lucky for me I work with urethane, lucky for me these lines were finer than usual, lucky for them I've mellowed in my old age. I darkened the red a bunch, went back over all the red and charged them an extra 50%.
They were happy... therefore I was happy. I thought it looked much better with the bright red...but then I wasn't the one paying $60,000 for a Suburban either!

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Monte here- coat over it a tad wider with the colours they prefer- and charge them for it.
We've had that same circumstance on a couple of occasions only, thankfully. One job I did, the owner (woman) said to pick any colours I liked for it, 'she trusted me'. When she came back the next day she said 'I meant to tell you- any colours except for green, I can't stand green'. This was said while looking at a stack of nice green lines!
Anyhow she decided it was a nice job in spite of being a horrid colour, and eleven years later she still has it. No problems with the payment either.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What fools these people are. Little do they know what they have. A beautiful pinstriped job by the great Joey Madden. I have removed 1-Shot lettering enamel for the same reasons, and it always, always leaves a ghost image of the old job. I would just change the color. These are the things that cause me to drink and lose sleep over.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3813 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer was remedied by getting that particular customer another vehicle while that vehicle got sold the very next day to another couple. I could have easily gone over the stripe where-as most of my lines are 1/32" wide maximum, even with an 1/8" space, so it would have been easy. But the fact remains that I'm the pinstriper which striped for the dealership and not to please just one person. Onward and upward!

A few years ago I did a custom job on a Chevy Tracker for a Minister and his wife. I believe the photo is on my site. The vehicle was dark green, after doing somewhat of a mini graphics job, I outlined it in a simular green. The wife called me and asked if I can go over the outlines a little brighter. I then told her I also did portraits and can do one of her and her husband, with a nice gold frame, so when persons would see it they could say Wow, who did the frame? That was the end of it.

Guess these days I'm still a little different and at 60 cannot seem to please everyone but I'll try and do that on the next job [Smile] I still don't paint in straight white, black, silver or bright red and if someone wants metallic gold I only use HoK, and an appointment is always needed, so they better be darn sure Gold is what they want because a week later, you'll need more then reducers and cleaners to remove it, more like a heavy arm, lacquer thinner and 1500 wet-dry.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joey!
Some people are too picky for their own good. I get defensive when people pick at my stuff, then lose sleep over it for days. Once someone asked "Why are there brush marks in that?" I replied, "because I used a brush."
I have had 3 dissatisfied customers in 18 years, but I remember them more than the ones who raved about my work.
Once I did a funky mini-splatter wrap-around stripe on a Blazer. I was pleased, so was the dealer. I don't stripe much.
Next week he calls & sez the potential buyer liked everything but the stripe, how could he remove it? I told him it would have to be sanded off, etc. He sold the customer a similar Blazer with an icky sticker stripe.
Oh well. I am sure that the person who purchased the original vehicle that you did is tickled pink with your work.
Love- JILL

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joey,
you probably ran into an interior decorator and of course they know everything about colors. Good thing it got resolved. I like Si's reply about the belt sander. You could have also added, "so you want me to run it to the body shop to get it sanded and buffed. Mention (body shop) and see how fast they get the identical vehicle at the dealership.

I did have a customer bring back a pickup I striped with HOK, because I had a small dribble that I didn't see. He called the day after I did it, and thought it would be O.K. to bring it in the following week. I told him to bring the thing in pronto. He was here in an hour and I had on hell of a time getting that little spot off. HOK and it will stay.

[ December 19, 2003, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Bill Diaz ]

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Burns
Visitor
Member # 268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Burns   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always told the Dealers "I put em ON.....I don't take em OFF!" But when push came to shove, I'd charge em the same to take em off as I did puttin em on!

--------------------
Bob Burns

www.vondutch.freeservers.com

Posts: 2121 | From: Prescott, Arizona, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a customer last week that I did a residence sign for, and she wanted a brown background with rust trim, and I carved the house number out of HDU and painted it with one shot gold. The background piece was sandblasted and the letters glued on. To me, it looked perfect, and to them also, until they got home. Called me up and said, "Could that brown be made a little darker on the background?" After I told them it would be almost impossible without almost redoing everything, they said they would touch it up themselves. Oh well.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I had my friend server papers just yesterday to a lady who thought my signs were the cats meow! She even helped me install one of them. Told everyone in the complex how much help I was. Since she had wanted me to do some window stuff I didn't have a bill made up. By the time I got home she'd called and left 3 messages cussin me out 1 side and the other saying she couldn't read them, I'm not paying, your a bad business person, no help, etc. She even got a mediator and walked out before we even started because the mediator wouldn't side with her. I'll ruin her credit or get something out of her. Some peoples children... [Mad]

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jereme Gauthier
Visitor
Member # 4351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jereme Gauthier   Email Jereme Gauthier       Edit/Delete Post 
Joey,

Why the switch to One Shot?

--------------------
Jereme Gauthier
Kustom Kolor
Norway, MI

Posts: 33 | From: Norway, MI | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!