Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » photographers please help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: photographers please help!
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. I may have a job photographing a catamaran, to build a website just like www.eastwindcats.com. (Its acutally the east wind's competitor)
We have to be on this little deserted island by 6AM & spending half a day on this thing, although the web guy tells me when he did eastwind cats it was an all day gig. (if not longer because of the processing)

I'm planning on taking scuba gear & my 35MM Nikonos V UW camera to take photos of people snorkeling, along with the digital nikon (& maybe a 35MM minolta), tripod, laptop & other stuff for beach shots & other. I'm also planning to contact some friends to take me on their boat so I can take photos of the cat sailing to the island, a must IMO.

I'm not a pro photographer, which finally brings up my question:
How much should I charge for this job? The owner of the wesite is a good friend but I know this job isn't like taking snapshots with a disposable camera.

Thanks always, Felix

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 14 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Felix, it sounds like your friend sees you as a professional, and from the cameras you mentioned you have some good equipment, I would find out whos paying for the film and developing, if they buy all of it, then charge anywhere from $25-$50 bucks and hour. Then again I don't know what the going rate is where you are at.
Now if you have to buy the film and develop, then get a deposit for that and what ever else that could pop up for an extra expense. Good assignment, Have fun!!

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The work is probably worth more, but start off with your shop rate charged for a full day and add incidental costs to that, like film and processing, batteries for the cameras, time for downloading digital images and any sprucing up they may need, suba tank refills, etc etc..

At least if at some point you don't feel you've charged enough you still have the memory of a nice day out on the water, which in some cases the enjoyment of the job can make up for shortcomings in money.

I did a press photoshoot for Kawasaki back in October during the world finals jetski races. I was photographing for a jetski related media site and Kawasaki offered us the opportunity to take a few of their newest watercraft which havent even hit production yet, out for an exclusive demo. It was a freebie deal but it was a total blast!

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!