Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » deskjet printer died... now what?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: deskjet printer died... now what?
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys. My HP deskjet 842 died. What's out there nowadays that can take a good beating & ink is cheap?

Thanks!

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Felix,

Do yourself a favor and get an Epson wide format ink jet printer...one that you can do 13" X 19" comps and/or 13" x long length comps.

I have the Epson 1280, which is a phenomenal printer....and does high res/wide format printing if desired.

They have probably replaced this model with an upgrade by now...but I paid $500 for it and it was worth every penny. Expect about that price.

I've talked with several professional printers about desktop output devices and Epson is the overwhelming choice because of the printhead configuration....more durable more precise than the system used by HP. (I have an HP desktop as well....and like the Epson much better)

This is my recommendation....

Ink cost? Hard to get around the price thing. You can get inexpensive ink replacement injection systems and refill the cartridges yourself, but this usually negates the warranty if something goes wrong with the printer...so that's kind of a crapshoot and a gamble in my opinion.

Good luck Felix.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look into 4 cartridge systems. I paid more for my epson when I bought it last summer because it uses 4 cartridges instead of black & a multicolor cartridge. Within 6 months, it had totally paid for itself with what I saved over pitching a $30 or $40 cartridge cause 1 color ran out.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Burns
Visitor
Member # 268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Burns   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using an HP 1220c....does an awesome job. Most desktop printers nowadays are all plastic crap that works until it doesn't work.....then you pitch it and buy another piece of plastc crap!
Welcome to 'PLASTIC CRAP EXCHANGE'!

--------------------
Bob Burns

www.vondutch.freeservers.com

Posts: 2121 | From: Prescott, Arizona, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post 
oNE WORD

HP

I got no use for their computers or digital cameras, but their printers are bulletproof.

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HP all the way,

I know no one who has HP and had it fail.. Yes a few needed cleaning but none failed.
Personally,
I have a fully functional HP 3P 8 years old one of their earlier versions, I still run it almost every day. I have a HP 722c Color inkjet,, still runs like a top. 5 yrs old. Hp 6p runs hundreds of sheets monthly, a HP6L a little desk top runs perfect. More important, The carts last a long time.

I have an almost new Lexmark that i will give to any one who wishes to pay the shipping. Only one set of carts run in it.. Works great. Cartridges cost a fortune to run and don't last long at all. Down with lexmark.

Some Cannon printers are cheap. Don' get a cheap one. .If it fails you cannot get parts..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
epson c82 $129.00 4 seperate ink tanks....and the best printing for that amount of money!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Levitt
Visitor
Member # 3906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Levitt   Email Steve Levitt       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had an Epson Color Stylus 3000 (4 color) up to 17x54 format for over 8 years and an Epson Photo Stylus 1270 (6 Color) 13x19 format for more then 5 years and they are the two best printers I have ever seen.

At one time I was putting over 10,000 sheets of paper through the 3000 per month without a problem!

I pay only $10.00 per cartridge, 4 cartridge system on the 3000 and $9.00 per cartridge for the 1270. (These are Epson cartridges by the way, not an off brand.)

You can by a 3000 for about $1000.00 today and the 1280 (the replacement for the 1270) for around $800.00.

This is the final year for 3000; it is being replaced by an updated version, the Color Stylus 5000.

Here’s a link for Epson http://www.epson.com/

I have a friend that has the Epson Stylus Pro 9600, a 44" wide format printer with 2880 x 1440 dpi, he uses for signs that are photo quality and last for years out side in South Florida. (Printed on 3M vinyl) The Epson 9600 is less than $5000.00.

--------------------
Steve Levitt
Signs Of All Kinds
Okeechobee, Fl. 34974

Posts: 64 | From: Okeechobee, Florida | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Fisher
Visitor
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Fisher   Email David Fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing HP is good at these days is writing bloated drivers that load into the system tray.
Take them out of the startup menu and you will experience weird problems.
Call support? Forget it.
From my experience they will then suck as much ink as possible because the default print setting is photo quality. (on letter size paper! who uses letter size paper anyway?)
Lexmark drivers are much the same from my experience except they have a much more annoying quality which is to let you know with a nauseating wav file that "Printing has Started" and that "Printing is now Complete".
No doubt they all have their forte's and failings but I have found Epson and Canon to be quite good
and their support very comprehensive.
David

--------------------
David Fisher
D.A. & P.M. Fisher Services
Brisbane Australia
da_pmf@yahoo.com
Trying out a new tag:
"Parents are the bones on which children cut their teeth
Peter Ustinov

Posts: 1450 | From: Brisbane Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveDefibaugh
Visitor
Member # 2245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveDefibaugh   Email SteveDefibaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked Ebay and the 1280 comes in at $200-250 for a new one and the 3000 is averaging $400-500.

--------------------
Steve Defibaugh
Decal Magic
Edinburg,Virginia

Posts: 79 | From: edinburg.virginia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Schmidt
Resident

Member # 2337

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Linda Schmidt   Email Linda Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Felix- I have 3 Epsons in my shops (have had them for nearly 4 years- no problems). I use a bulk ink system that is made for Epson and a few other models. Initially, it's a $$ layout but the first set of inks lasted nearly l year before I had to replace them. Replacement is $25/ color- 4 oz. bottle. I print a LOT and this great, easy to install, and since the bottles sit outside the printer you can visually see the amount of ink left in each bottle.

Just my 2 cents! [Applause]

--------------------
Linda Schmidt
Vital D'Signs
Greers Ferry, AR
signlady@ozarkisp.net

Posts: 160 | From: Greers Ferry, AR | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I'm not liking about epsons or canons is that their printheads are installed in the machine, and a major pain in the butt to clean in the event you have a major ink clog like I did with my Epson C82.

The HP's put their printheads on the ink cartridge itself, which means you get a new printhead with every new cartridge, and if you get a clog, ya pull the cart out and clean it yourself.

That being said, I LOVE the print quality of the C82.. it's absolutely phenomenal.. but it has been discontinued, although the newer printers are even better.
When I called Epson support (which costs YOU money by the way because they use non-toll free numbers for support on many of their products, and we all know how long you sit on the phone waiting for support) they wanted me to send the printer in and some money for them to clean it.. which means by the time I pay them to fix it and ship it both ways I could have just bought another printer. Told them to shove it, then bought their factory service manual online from a 3rd party and ripped the printer apart on my own. [Smile]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ernie Balch
Resident

Member # 3545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ernie Balch   Author's Homepage   Email Ernie Balch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first couple of HP printers were great for many years. The ones I bought in the last 5 years all seem to die after 1 or 2 years. I think the quality level has dropped significantly. That being said, I like replacing the head with each cartridge since replacing an entire printer when the head clogs just isn't an option for me.

So I'll hold my nose and continue to buy HP until I can afford one of the Tektronics/Xerox printers. You could also look at some of the cheaper color laser printers.

ernie

--------------------
Ernie Balch
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY
518-885-9899

Posts: 405 | From: Malta, NY | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie,
i own a Xerox tektronix Phaser 850.

Phenominal color printing, runs like a truck.

i use it for all my special color mail outs and such, A great machine..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an HP 656c ... in fact I now have two! Both work fine.

Problem was the ink costs!!!! I have a great refill kit. I get 5 refills on the colour for less than $30. The process can get a bit messy if you miss with the syringe! Ink stains on the fingers take forever to remove!!! But the cartridges will take only so many refills.

OK. Needed to buy new Black and Colour ... cost ... Over $120!!!! Then my favourite salesman at the computer shop pointed out the fact they had HP 656c on "special" at $90 complete with cartridges!!!!

Go figure that out [Smile]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, printer companies such as Epson and HP are NOT in the business of selling/making money on the printer....they are in business for making money on the consumables, which is INK, PAPER, INK, PAPER.....

HP makes a decent printer (I have two [forgot about the kids earlier], along with my Epson)

True, you get a new print head with each cartridge purchase, which is the positive spin applied by HP salespeople....but then you have to ask yourself what's the real motivation there?!

I thought this sounded good too, until an unbiased techie at Comp USA explained why the new print head....

Basically, the way the ink droplets are applied to the paper substrate between the two (Epson and HP) are completely different...I believe he explained the Piezo Electric technology of the Epson as placing a very small dot electrostatically in a specific location as a "dot", whereas the HP "sprays" ink onto the paper in a less distinct pattern.

All I can say is that if you ask printers what they use for color comps/proofs you will no doubt find that they overwhelmingly use the Epson....with the 3000 model being one of their favorites.

As this techie explained it to me...HP HAS to implement a print head into the ink cartridge system rather than having a fixed, durable printer printhead like Epson because the print heads used in their technology literally uses heat to get the ink to the right consistency for spraying and the print heads "warp" after "X" amount of documents printed....eventually resulting in poor prints.

Now does this matter? Probably not, because I'm guessing the ink volumes are measured in a way so that the cartridges "run out" prior to significant head warping.....so you go out and buy a new ink cartridge before any major noticeability of print degradation.

I've probably got some of this info completely "butt backwards" as it was about 2 years ago that I made my Epson 1280 purchase and had this conversation...so I'm going by my every changing feeble memory. So this is a disclaimer so HP doesn't sue me for maligning their product.....but like I say, I have a couple standard paper-size Deskjets and have been happy with them too....but now it's going to be Epson all the way.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At home I have a HP 1000c witch I think is the predicessor to the printer Bob is using. I've had it for 6 or 7 years and it has printed a ton of card stock and tabloid size paper. It cost around $500 then. It has done a heck of a job but the print quality is suffering. A couple months ago I bought a $100 Lexmark. It has 3 card readers built right into it and prints beautifully. I don't think it could handle a lot of printing and like said above it talks to you which is kind of annoying (although my wife likes it)

My next printer will be a Epson (maybe with the bulk ink set-up)

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup! EPSON!!!!

I have, and use, an Epson Color Stylus (NO model #) that I bought when they 1st came out with injets! My wife uses an Epson Stylus Color 850...and she runs tons of paper thru it (Medical Transcriber) without any problems. The best part, she gets "compatible" ink cartriges at 5 for $25!!!!

[Smile]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!