Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » How can you disable right-click "save as" ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How can you disable right-click "save as" ?
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of weeks ago somebody replied to a thread saying they could tell any one interested what html code to insert in a web page to sort of copy-protect pictures.
We had an electrical storm last week which blew up the computer (via the modem) and so I can't find who made the offer to explain how to do this.
Please would you mind explaining how todoit, or email me with the details?
Many thanks!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Allan
Visitor
Member # 52

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Allan   Author's Homepage   Email CJ Allan       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the one I use........and like I said.......If they really want something on your site, they can get it.

This code at least makes em work for your images/text......!!

...........cj

--------------------
CJ Allan
CJs Engraving
982 English Dr.
Hazel, KY 42049

www.cjs-engraving.com

Posts: 1284 | From: Hazel, KY. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for FYI

In windows... Every photo, graphic, or image you ever saw on any site is on your computer. It is in your Temporaryinternetfiles/content.

The hitch is you cannot find this hidden folder the normal way. However you can find it by using the find option.

Just look for *.jpg as a start and you will find many jpg images in this hidden folder. Often this folder will be over 880 megs in size. It will slow down your machine if it contains too many objects that load up..

Every email u ever read or sent is stored on your machine in hidden places.

There is a way to disable right click only if everyone is using Windows and Internet Explorer. The best bet is to digitally watermark the image and offer a reward for theeves if you want the user to be able to view the image but not steal it. If i wanted to steal an image that someone tried to protect by disabling right click I would do any of the following: Open it up in a different browser... View source and copy the URL of the image directly. Open up the cache folder on my HD and copy the image out of there.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's also worth noting the code is virtually useless.

I used to have such code on my website and I actually got emails from computer idiots (the only ones that dont know how to get around it) saying they'd never buy anything because they were alienated when they couldnt save the image.. oh well.

I also got emails from up and coming script kiddies and keyboard commandos outright degrading my site because they knew how to circumvent the coding, as if I didn't already know how to get around it! Jeez, I've only been doing web design about as long as these teenagers have been alive.

To me, it's no longer worth the effort to put the coding into the pages, and digitally watermarking images doesn't work either. You can hit the Print Screen button on your keybard and have an exact copy of the image without the watermark so you can print it off.

CJ, might want to check your site because your image buttons are locked but they link to larger images that are not, so your large detailed pictures are easy to snag.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Allan
Visitor
Member # 52

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Allan   Author's Homepage   Email CJ Allan       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I know .............
I didn't feel the necessity to tell everyone about the larger images......
People need to at least attempt to find some things out on their own.......

It ain't all that big of a thing......
I'm not the least bit worried about anyone copying any of my stuff...........They couldn't reproduce much of it anyway.........

But Like I SAID.........."It will keep the "IDIOTS and Morons" that can't operate a pencil from getting things too easy.......

Of course if you guys want to give lessons on how to do all of this to the Idiots..............Go for it............ !!! [Smile]

........cj

[ December 16, 2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: CJ Allan ]

--------------------
CJ Allan
CJs Engraving
982 English Dr.
Hazel, KY 42049

www.cjs-engraving.com

Posts: 1284 | From: Hazel, KY. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks Guys.Interesting comments! I appreciate the links.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fred Weiss
Visitor
Member # 3662

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Fred Weiss   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Weiss       Edit/Delete Post 
There are at least two problem with right click disabling:

1. You immediately alert right click downloaders to resort to Print Screen to get the image.

2. You end up disabling the Back button feature with the same code which most people will find annoying.

The neatest solution I've heard is to make the image a rollover with the second image being just a transparent box that is the same size. The user is unaware of the rollover because it is transparent and right clicking gets a saved image of just the transparent box. [Eek!] [Dunno] [Frown]

--------------------
Fred Weiss
Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.
4620 Lake Worth Road
Lake Worth, FL 33463
561 649-6300
allcompu@allcompu.com

Posts: 427 | From: Lake Worth, Florida | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no way a water marked image can be print screened and then printed out in such a way the water mark is removed.

One way to do it is water mark a image with a water mark plugin utility out of Photoshop and its marked forever.

There are ways to manipulate a image via layers so it wont d'load. That is done by using excell and making a cell with certain properties and placing a one pixel clear image within. In the end the theef will d'load the clear pixel layer instead of the lower layer image..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Fred- that was an idea I had before prompted to look into the rightclick disablingsave. It's not for our website that I wanted it, but for another one I look after for a group, where there's some 'ownership' of photos wanted protected.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curtis, show me a site with watermarked images and I will show ya how to get around the watermark. [Smile]

Not that I go around downloading images off websites, but when you're in the line of work we're in or more specifically the type of work I do, it's almost neccessary to know all the ways people can snag your images. Otherwise you expend a lot of energy (and sometimes money on plug-ins)to stop something that is impossible to stop.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott Pagan
Visitor
Member # 2507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Pagan   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Pagan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think Flash-built sites can disable "save as..."

--------------------
Scott Pagan
Admark Graphic Systems
Admark Motorsports Graphics
9700 Metromont Ind Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28269
www.admarkgraphics.com

Posts: 325 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Yes Mike, good point , you cannot stop the theeves,,, However a big ol mark all over the photo will make it hard for the average theef to use it.. Yes??

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!