Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » what defines a spanish colonial sign?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what defines a spanish colonial sign?
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi y'all. My big mouth got me into designing a "spanish" sign system for a big resort (no, I'm NOT complaining!!!!) [Cool]

I thought I'd use a mix of designs from Mike Jackson's CD, some metal scrollwork & earthy colors, but I really don't know if this is the look we should be aiming for.

What do you guys suggest as far as color schemes & whatnot for a spanish style sign?

Thanks always, Felix

[ December 15, 2003, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Felix Marcano ]

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think of St Augustine, where you see lots of homes with stucco walls and exposed wooden beams, curved archways, courtyards with gardens and grape vine trellises, wrought iron window bars with decorative trim, heavy wooden doors with wrought iron hinges, flower boxes under windows, and red clay tiles on the roofs.

Translated into signage, I would see monument-type signs as being stucco structures with possibly a tile "roof", maybe a timber or two designed into the stucco somehow. Hanging signs could showcase the wrought iron scrollwork, and some of these elements could be used throughout in the other signs.For example, a graphic could use grape leaves with the scroll,and a grape cluster or two.

Whenever I see spanish architecture, I am impressed with it's simplicity. I really like the way you see very white walls and very dark wood together. Another interesting feature is the use of tiles.

These are a few of the things I enjoy about the older Spanish homes I have seen, but this in no way qualifies me as an expert on the subject. As a matter of fact, I really am not sure what spanish colonial means in architect's lingo, but I guess I'm assuming it's what you see wherever Spain colonized, which includes a lot of real estate, of which St Augustine is only a small part. So I hope my observations will not throw you off track. It does sound like a fun project though, so good luck with it.

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! I like your idea on the tiles. My mom always tells me about St. Augustine. I was hoping to head that way when I go to the Butler meet at Janette's, but she tells me its nowhere near her place!

Thanks!

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd think they want archs and a lot of wrought iron scrolls. Stone look columms. Stuf like that.

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post 
lol, how 'bout some "spanish harlem"....lot'sa velvet red, black an' gold.......

HEY! IT 'CUD WERK! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oye Felix,

How about our Old San Juan?---The city is over 500 years old. -----Just check out the architecture of the buildings, which I believe has been preserved all these years by our Instituto de Cultura.-----Think bricks, "adoquines", red roof tiles, wrought iron balconies, castillos ( El Morro, San Cristobal, San Geronimo ), toros, paellas, etc.----Check out the buildings on Calle San Sebastian, maybe calle del Cristo, etc.----I am sure that this would be a great source for you to start your project.

All of the above are just a few gifts that the
Spaniards left us in Puerto Rico.

Saludos

Ricardo

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and some Velvet paintings of Elvis !

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo Davila
Visitor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo Davila   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo Davila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Felix,

Check out this web site, it may help:--http://www.solboricua.com/sanjuan.htm

Ricardo

--------------------
Ricardo Davila
Showroom Window Advertising
P.O. Box 1376
Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

Posts: 1180 | From: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Thanks again guys! Geez I really need to go site seeing... All I do is work...

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Jackson's CD is the wrong direction for this project. If you go to the library and look at spanish architecture, spanish furniture, spanish jewelry, etc., you will see some common threads. These can be applied not only to the shape of the sign, but also to the letterstyle.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!