Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Looking for (shop made) family gift ideas ???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for (shop made) family gift ideas ???
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat and I are looking for some ideas that can be made in mass but individually personalized for friends and family.

Anyone else out there tackling this quest?

Would like your input...a pulitzer prize winner would be perfectly acceptable!

We're thinking along the lines of something that can be used over and over during the holidays over the next years...or maybe not!

Suggestions are more important than details but we're open to all ideas.

Thanx in advance...

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Joiner
Visitor
Member # 1814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Joiner   Email Kathy Joiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas toilet seats! Get the $9.99 ones. (not a full time use item) Snowman on lid with name, open it and his mittens are covering his eyes.

I found some great looking wine flutes at Dollar Tree. Going to put snowflakes and monogram on them with etchmark. You and pat could etch, guild, and or glue chip serving platters.

Yard cards are hinged MDO or PVC "Seasons greeting from the "...." family.

PVC ornaments or tree top star smalted.

Cut out snow shoe, sled, Santa, snowman, or whatever and personalize for a holiday door hanger.

Have fun!!

--------------------
Kathy Joiner
River Road Graphics
41628 River Road
Ponchatoula, La.70454

Old enough to know better...Too young to resist.

Posts: 1891 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm making a WANTED poster for my brother.
Scrap piece of 2mm Dibond, roughly (very roughly) cut with the jigsaw, and some bent edges. I'm making the thing look like old stained paper, and paste his mug in the middle (I'll try to print it in sepia).
I'm still having fun trying to decide on the text:
Wanted for riding drunk? Shooting off his mouth?
Well, maybe both [Big Grin]

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1966 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the kids, we made up some popcorn Christmas Trees. First, pop some corn and make up a Caramel/butter glaze using corn syrup, butter, and coloured green with food coloring.Coat all of the popcorn with this mixture. Next make a cone from fairly heavy card, and line this with wax paper. Press the popcorn mixtire into this cone to give the Christmas Trees their shape. Decorate the trees with colored Smarties, M&M's etc and some sparkly cake decorations. Dust lightly with icing sugar, and insert a stick into the base to form the trunk of the tree, and double as a holder, when this treat is being eaten.

They're really inexpensive to make...and the kids love them!

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One year we did aprons. We got some canvas aprons and Bill airbrushed personal cartoons of everyone's interest on them..."Farmer-outstanding in his field" that kind of thing.
We make most of our gifts every year. One year we made carpenter-like wooden boxes with handles. Then we painted them bright colors and put the family's name on them. Some used them for magazines or garden supplies or tools. Even the kids liked them for toys.
We do sandblasted glass signs for weddings and graduation presents. The name and the date of the event are in a fancy border or a clip art item like a guitar if that is their "talent". Those are VERY popular. They would work for Christmas too.
We have also done house numbers for a new home owner. A small sandblasted foam sign or just a painted sign to match the style of the house. A mailbox is another idea for rural use.
Enjoy it though. Put the Christmas music on and pretend you are an elf!

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

In the past, I've carved multiples of a Xmass (or Holiday) ornament. For tree, wall or door. Incorparate a ribbon in the design to hand paint the date, or names......or etc. They could also be molded and cast with a metalic resign....cast em, pop em, yer done!!! [Applause]

Do a different design each year.....folks LOVE em!

Whatever you do, I'm sure they will be cherished!!! [Smile]

Happy Holidays to you and yours, Monte!

Joe,
Makin Chips and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy blank wreaths and tree ornaments, and decorate them.

Makes them personal and they can definitely be used over and over during the holidays.

A couple years ago I was in St Louis during Christmas and when my dad and I dug out all the ornaments, I realized that nearly every ornament on the tree was handmade by me and my sister when we were little - some of these things are over 20 years old!

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One year we bought pie plates and reverse etched them on the underside with the year and Merry Christmas.

We did the wine glass things too.

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I make small sandblasted signs with sayings personalized to fit the persons. Welcome to the...., or any saying I know they like. Thay can go on a door or a small post for the garden. I get to use ideas paying customers hardly ever let me do so I enjoy it. I'm doing some now with rows of tiles inlaid.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1052 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have taken Corian counter top material scraps- sink cut outs- and routed a beveled edge on them and glued on some rubber feet. They make great cutting boards or counter protectors for putting hot pots on them.

diane

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1701 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Thompson
Resident

Member # 3726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email Donald Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually do alot of mailboxes for customers at Christmas time. Most people just have a plain mailbox with individual stuck on letters they get at Wal-mart. We incorporate something of interest to the people(horses, flowers, butterflies, masonic emblems, dogs, etc.) I am also doing them for family this year. The mailboxes are only about $9 at Lowes or Home Depot.

--------------------
Donald Thompson
#1 Sign Designs
580 Templeton Rd.
Laurens,SC 29360
864-682-7810
1signdesigns@backroads.net
www.1signdesigns.com

Posts: 1525 | From: Laurens, SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Faulkner
Visitor
Member # 2511

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stephen Faulkner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Faulkner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the spirit Monte!!!... 'round here I prefer to give hand made goodies... my 15 year old daughter asked me to do a pinstriped panel for her... that's all she wants!
I am having a wicked run on the Beer Vaults this year... www.restoart.com/BeerVault lots of locals have seen them and now it's crunch time!
A mailbox with a magnum of champagne stuffed in it is one old classic... for wood workers carved cigar box or cottage signs,or a Celtic Love Spoon. Tole(?) painted watering cans with thier name on it... for the hot rod guys a "shop Sign" like a vintage logo and a name for the backyard mechanics shop, pinstriped tool box or a custom shop clock. Kathy Joiner's Kustom Rump Kusions are great for people who can appreciate toilet art I have several on my walls!(check your local zoning laws) [Eek!]
Unlike a store bought gift you sure can have fun with making these and it is something that you will always remember yourself.

--------------------
"No excuses!.... No regrets!..."

GEET
www.goldrushsigns.com
known associate... pinstripermafia.com

Posts: 724 | From: Florissant, CO | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy cheap wall mirrors at Wallyworld.
Do decor borders and family name on it.

Sometimes I use vinyl etchlite and other times I will use chemical etch!
[Wink]

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan E Young
Visitor
Member # 2325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan E Young   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan E Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I custom painted about 6 mailboxes for my wifes family in Indiana I had hours and hours in them I would work on them as i was painting a bike or a helmet. All House of Kolor base and clear jobs hand pinstriped!! They loved them. Her uncle and dad keep saying I should sell them I could make a fortune.My reply was naa I like doing the bikes and helmets. They said " you should paint up a bunch and take them to a flea market and they would sell for at least 35 bucks" Man it killed my pride they have no idea what I do for a living or how much was in those stupid boxes HAHA!!! But its the thought that counts I guess.

--------------------
Ryan Young
Indocil Art & Design
indocil@comporium.net
803-980-6765

I highjacked Letterville!!
Winter Muster 2004

Posts: 904 | From: Rock Hill, SC | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Every year, my father painted glass ornaments for family and friends, even one for my cat (that's the MAX one).

I remember when I called one of my best friends to tell him that my dad died (in Dec 2001), the first thing he said was...I just hung my ornament up on the tree last night and was thinking of him.

[ December 03, 2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Kimberly Zanetti ]

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the little ones who still like to color in coloring books, you can put your plotter to good use and make some large scale coloring pages. Dig out some appropriate clipart or make your own. Last year I took digital pics of familiar surroundings and with a little tracing, made some nice pages for my niece to embellish.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For somebody who likes to bake I always thought it would be cool to sandblast their name (backwards, of course) into one of those marble rolling pins. When you roll the dough it would imprint their name into it. Do the name several times in a spiral around the pin.

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Jumper
Resident

Member # 2248

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Pat Jumper   Email Pat Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
soooo many great ideas (so little time! lol)
i am trying to get monte to drag out the new/old lathe we got at an auction last year and let me turn a few redwood scraps into ornaments.
y'all have given us alot of inspiration here, i really like the idea of giving Christmas theme presents.... [Smile]

--------------------
We are related to all things.
"Mitakuye oyasin"
"patsee"
Norman, Oklahoma
signs@itlnet.net

Posts: 20 | From: Norman, Oklahoma USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 14 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy holidays Monte, years ago I wanted to make something for the holidays for my children(now all grown and married). I cut 5" circles of light weight wood and painted a Christmas scene on them.
Now they looked forward to one each year.
I have done wood burning pictures and even carved pictures. This is about the 10th year.

Go for it!

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail & Dave Beattie
Visitor
Member # 572

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gail & Dave Beattie   Author's Homepage   Email Gail & Dave Beattie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one year I did the grandkids faces on t'shirts for them to wear on xmas day from digital pics and wrote Santa's little helper on them

I made them all a pillow case with their faces for use instead of stockings to hang on xmas eve one year

last year I realised that it was our first xmas away from the whole family and so suddenly thought about the old decorations

each year we got together 2 weeks before the 25th for the family birthdays that fall in December (5 of them) and after the cake is cut and the special gifts dealt with we all decorate my house for santa time

the girls do the inside and the boys take care of the outside

last year I realised that they would all be without the special decoration that I (and them) have made over the years and so I built them a simple set for each of their houses

it was so easy to take a picture of santa and put devo's face on it, some elves with the twins faces, reindeer with the grandkids faces etc. then print them out, laminate them and add a ribbon to tie them to their trees or where ever they want them to go

now each year the 'big kids plus grandkids' have us all with them for the season, no matter that we live 15 hours away... I did a set for my mum and Devo's mum too so they didn't feel left out!

when we were in the shop we made house names when they got their own homes and christmas cutouts for their yards after that

when our kids turn 16 we buy them old cars to learn to drive in and then on their 17th birthday if they show me a license they get the keys for keeps, but usualy the xmas that falls between those b'days they get a paint job for their old cars so that they look cool

boxes to store potatos and onions in, made from pine, stained and decorated to suit their kitchen are another easy gift to make and soooo practicle
I love mine!

specialty clocks are another great idea

we used to make sand blasted timber panels with corporate logo's on them for our bigger customers and put clock mechinisums in them for their foyers or main offices

which in turn lead to a range of harley clocks for bikers because blokes who had their bikes airbrushed saw the clock that Devo had made for himself in our shop

but one year my clock in the kitchen died just before xmas and so I got the boys to cut me just santa's head shape out of perspex and I airbrushed it while I was doing all the other cutouts

it already had the hole drilled in the center and so a $5 clock unit later and it was indeed santa time!

from then on each year the little kids would say 'is it santa time yet nana?" and I would check the calender and say almost

the looks on their faces when the santa clock went up on the wall was priceless because they knew it was almost xmas!

I agree that making gifts is so much more personal for those we love and a lot less likely to break 2 days after xmas

this year I have bought stainless steel hip flasks for all the big boys and am going to engrave a design and their names on to them to personalise them

my son-in-law needs a box to store his drum sticks in and so I am going to build a small coffin shaped, flamed box and line it with velvet for his presouse!
just like the bigger one we made for my other son's dagger collection

there is no end of great stuff you can make that puts the spirit back into the season

cheers
gail

--------------------
Gail & Dave
Hervey Bay
Qld Australia

gail@roadwarriorproducts.com.au

sumtimes ya just gota!

Posts: 794 | From: 552 O'Regans Creek Rd Toogoom Qld 4655 Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My stepson moved out and into his first apartment with a buddy, November 2 years ago. That christmas, I bought a bar mirror at walmart (long & short, had hooks on bottom edge) and I put beer logos on it out of etched vinyl. He loved it. It's in his living room with coats hung on it.

I'm waiting for his girlfriend to bring me over pictures they took of his car so I can do a dye sub keychain for him this year.

She graduates college this summer, I figure next year I'll be doing a house sign for the 2 of them.

For his girlfriend's 21st birthday, I etched her name & a nice rose into a beer mug for her. She loved it.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not really a Christmas present, but people like them....we used to cut up 3 mil sintra offcuts to about 4"x6", corner round them with the ..corner rounder, screenprint shoplogo,etc, and something humorous... Digital Ice Scraper, or? you could just vinyl or edge some small decals for them too.

just a giveaway to customers when they're by the shop. You can never have to many ice scrapers this time of year! plus, they have 8 edges, last forever.

John Lennig / SignRider

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year I went out to Cost Plus and picked up several nice heavy glass mugs, applied friends' names and a celtic knot with computer cut vinyl and acid etched them, filled them with tea bags, coffee beans or candy, put them on a small wood tray i got from the Dollar Tree, added a small bag of home made biscotti and wrapped the whole thing in pearlesant celophane tied with gold ribbon. My girlfriends loved them!

For the guys I did the same mugs with an image of a bass with the saying:
"Kiss my Bass!" and filled them with candy....

I'm going to do something similar again this year, but on glass boxes or jars with cork stoppers and wine bottles (cheap wine, soak the lable off and etch a design on it)

A:)

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------
"Sure, it's colder in the Northwest, but...it's a damp cold!"

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Posts: 4868 | From: Port Angeles, Washington, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

Over the years I've had fun at the local dollar store roaming around looking for stuff to paint on for Christmas gifts.
I tend to grab stuff that I think someone would like or might make a good joke gift and personalize it.
Mailboxes, mirrors, plastic flower pots, wooden door signs, etc.

Some of the stranger stuff over the years include a circular sawblade with a mural for a logging friend, mailbox with a semi on it for a truck driver, monogrammed candle holders, and several engraved "Skyy Vodka" bottles done with my Dremel and some diamond tipped bits. (Really nice shade of blue on those!)

Vanity plates are always fun, too.

Have fun and happy holidays,
Rapid

[ December 09, 2003, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, We're having a few Central Illinois letterheads over to our shop this Saturday for a free gathering to do just that -- make Christmas presents. I'm supplying the 1 Shot. I'm wearin' a Santa's hat. Sorry we can't invite everybody -- our space is limited. We may even take the city trolley for a tour of our beautiful little town. Santa may also make a surprise entrance.

I will keep you informed of any projects people bring to work on as some of these artists are not on the BB, I don't believe.

Kathy, I fogot about toilet seats. Good idea, it's something you're sure to look at!

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great ideas...Now to find the time before Christmas to try some of them.

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!