Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Need Redwood, Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Redwood, Help!
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A customer came in yesterday and ordered a sandblast sign 10'x20''. My usual supplier quit handling redwood except w/fingerjoints. My next best supplier can't get any and the last ones I ordered from my third supplier were really inferior stuff(one was split about 4' down the middle and another was bowed like a ship's keel and crooked as a dog's hind leg). Ordered some blanks one time and they assured me that they used good glue but they didn't alternate the grain when laminating the boards (very important). Needless to say, they warped badly so I'd rather laminate my own. If anyone knows of a good place to get clear all heart v/grain redwood or heart B vertical grain(love those knots) I would Greatly appreciate it. Thanks

------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Sign Studio,Inc.
Blastin' "woodesigns" in Chipley, FL
"autograph your work with excellence"
webbsignstudio@digitalexp.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Wayne...the best and most consistantly high quality source i've ever known for clear, vertical grain all heart redwood has been roethele lumber in fort wayne, indiana...ever last stick of redwood there is perfect...bein in florida, don't know how much of a help that is to ya...but answer to your question

------------------
Don Coplen aka GatorMac
Coplen Designs
St.Petersburg, FL dcoplen@mindspring.com

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My source for redwood now is Himes & Starr in Dallas. They glue up only clear, all heart vertical grain in either redwood or cedar. So far I have had no problems with warping or separation of the glue joints. 1-800-498-4301 or www.redwoodsupply.com.

Panels come in 24", 36", and 48" in whatever length you need.

The panels are sanded and ready to blast. Come shipped in a plywood box - they pay the shipping. Of course, you are paying but it is included in the price, which is not cheap, but an easy way to have a blank without all the mess.

For most of my dimensional work I now use HDU except when I have to match an existing panel, there is a possibility of little hands nearby, or the customer demands it.

------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
rchapman@vvm.com

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Funk
Visitor
Member # 1351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Funk   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Funk       Edit/Delete Post 
In the past i have also ordered from Himes/Starr redwood in Texas. I wasn't too happy with the blanks i got from them. The blanks were edge glued nice, but there was no care in selecting what boards go together. Having one board in the middle with very wide grain, sandwiched between two boards with extremely close grain, or vice a versa. The signs i made with this wood had alot of copy, the strange grain pattern made these signs difficult to read. (I was surprised my customer didn't complain). Recently i have ordered some old growth redwood from Pinnochios in California. They use only naturally fallen redwoods, and recover from rivers and streams. The cost + shipping will make you quite the SignFoam salesman, like most of us have become. If it has to be redwood, i prefer to glue up my own blanks. Good Luck in finding some nice wood.

------------------
AZBrad
Artisan Signs
Phoenix, AZ
www.artisan-signs.com

[This message has been edited by AZBrad (edited February 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by AZBrad (edited February 12, 2000).]

Posts: 291 | From: phoenix AZ | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!