Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » when uploading images to the web to include in a posting, is special software needed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: when uploading images to the web to include in a posting, is special software needed?
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Heads
I am aware of the other past articles about posting images to the web. What I am wondering about is the software required to it. What is the most basic software that you need to post images to the site. For example, say I want to post a picture within a posting I put up like many others do these days.
Step one create a jpeg or gif , of the right size, right? Then I need to upload it to somewhere on the web. Then put the link to that site within my posting. What I want to know about is the uploading of the picture and what software I need for that.
I used the link that someone posted recently about finding font matches. The site allowed me to upload an image to their site of a jpeg that I had created, is it as easy as that or do I need to put out a lot of money to get the software to do it?
I have Coreldraw 8 and Win98 just in case someone is going to come back and tell me that I have everything I need in my system already. It never ceases to amaze me that still after 4 years with a computer I still feel that I have only used 10% of all the software’s abilities, if that even!!!!

------------------
'To be born once is natural, To be born twice, now that's a miracle.
-------------------------------------
From the sometimes sunny south of Ireland,

Posts: 913 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Davis
Visitor
Member # 1408

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jack Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miles, What you need to download and image to a web page server is an FTP program if they use the FTP interface. Mine is called FTP PRO and I downloaded it free through Tucows web site about 3 years ago. On the other hand you can probably e-mail a photo to a free photo host and you can point the link interface to that location. Ebay, I think has a free photo host, and their are others. There is also free webpage hosting at a lot of places, but I would think that you would need the FTP program for that. Also if you have a friend with a web page you can have them to FTP it to a folder on their page and then point your link to that folder...... Steve, if by chance you read this, Letterville needs an file folder, on its server for the users here and then delete the photos after 10 days or so, so that the folder don't get too large. Bronzeo

------------------
Jack Davis
1410 Main St
Joplin, MO 64801

Posts: 1549 | From: Joplin, MO | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya Miles,
You might already have the simplest software for file transfers to your web site. I just use Netscape & it's "drag & drop".
When I log onto my web site & change the "http" to "ftp" in the location bar & I'm ready to start up loading.
I don't use Internet Explorer so I'm not sure that the same proceedure will work with it.
Havin' fun,
Checkers

------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
Harrisburg, Pa
members.home.net/sign-it/
This isn't Burger King, you can't have it your way.

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miles, first you need a place to upload the files to online, then you can use an FTP program to login and upload the images.

There are many FTP programs out there, a couple I have used and like are CuteFTP and WS_FTP. CuteFTP is a good one, you can download it at no cost and just deal with the advertisements they put on your screen or you can support the company and send them money for their great program. Either way it works the same.

Or for the technically minded person, all Windows machines come with an FTP program built-in but it is text based. It might be a bit cryptic if you werent familiar with DOS years ago. I happen to prefer this one over the graphical FTP programs, but I was a Hardcore DieHard DOS user back when it was king. =)

------------------
Mike Pipes
Digital Illusion Custom Graphics
Lake Havasu City, AZ
http://www.stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I should ask if there are sites that i can upload pictures for free without special software to it.

------------------

Posts: 913 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim
Visitor
Member # 1699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many sites available to do this. Freeservers is one of them. You just sign up, pick your site name, and upload your files. It's setup so it is really easy to upload, just like using File manager. Check it out at www.freeservers.com

Hope this is what you're lookin for....

------------------
Tim Rieck Signs
Halfmoon Bay, BC
tim_rieck@dccnet.com

Posts: 736 | From: Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a place called www.photopoint.com that seems to be very popular. They give you free space and all sorts of other tools to handle your photos. Check it out and give us a report.

------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673
steve@letterhead.com
ICQ 316338
www.letterhead.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Miles

Once you check out that site that Steve recommends, if you decide to use it. In your own system go to Start...programs....Accessories...internet tools...and you have a "Webpublishing Wizard" I do all mine with that, the only difference is I have my own domain and webspace. Its just a couple of clicks away!!

------------------
Henry Barker #1924
akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm, Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm
www.signcraft.se
info@signcraft.se

[This message has been edited by Henry Barker (edited January 16, 2001).]

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Okay Steve I'll give it a go.
I have uploaded 3 pictures but what i do next i could do with some help on. maybe someone who is using photopoint.

------------------

Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

trying it out

hope the picture is not too big

------------------

Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

I know the picture is too too tooo big but for my first time I am sitting in my studio grinning like a cheshire cat. Thanks not only to everybody today but for all the input on this subject

[This message has been edited by Miles Cullinane (edited January 15, 2001).]

Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miles when you post a reply here at the bottom of that page you will see a "button" ubbcode click on that for all the info on posting images

I shall see if I can show you

you use the square looking brackets under or beside the 8 & 9 on your keyboard and inside them you place img for image then the url the webaddress including http:// and the name of your image and then close .I will do it leaving spaces between everything and then the real thing so you see, it should be a picture of me in my old truck.

[ img ]http://www.signcraft.se/estscan.jpg [/img ]

OK

------------------
Henry Barker #1924
akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm, Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm
www.signcraft.se
info@signcraft.se

[This message has been edited by Henry Barker (edited January 16, 2001).]

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve it couldn't have been easier than it was just using www.photopoint.com and the past articles from the BB on posting images.
I'll put my ulgy mug up next day so be warned.

------------------

Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post 

[ July 05, 2007, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: Brad Ferguson ]

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Brad, you are bringing me way back in time to 6 years ago.

--------------------
Miles Cullinane,
Cork, Ireland.

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miles, it is free to upload it to the server here at letterville, since you are a resident... www.letterhead.com/album I think

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While this forum requires a photo be hosted somewhere else, then transfered over, there are forums where it's possible send photo's directly. No middle man.

One of my favorites is the Shopbot Forum. It's a much improved process. No extra steps.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Guys, Look at the date of the first post.

--------------------
Miles Cullinane,
Cork, Ireland.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!