Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Setting posts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Setting posts
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 5 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been installing signs for quite a few years now, and I have always used the same technique. Dig the holes, set the sign, mix up the concrete in a wheelbarrow, and pour it in the holes. This works good, but requires that I take a wheelbarrow, and other tools along to the site, along with the sign and posts, etc. I am wondering if one of you has a better way of either mixing the concrete, or another type of concrete that sets up on its own. I have tried the three part system of foam, but I dont care for it. I'm open to suggestions.

------------------
John Deaton III
Deaton Signs&Grafix
400 May St. Harlan, Ky. 40831 606-573-9101
"Grab an ol'cold tater and wait"
johnd3rd@kih.net
http://www.angelfire.com/ky2/dsigns

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not use concrete...for the sake of future removal.I dig the hole an extra foot or two deeper and after post is installed...I pack the hole with rocks using a heavy bar...
I have heard you can dump a bag of readymix in the hole..just dump it in there dry...ground moisture will set it..don't know for sure..never tried it but makes sense..

------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551
Ontime @localnet.com

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

I often mix gravel mix while it's still in the bag, right next to the hole. Split the bag on the top side and pour water in, not all at once.
I have also mixed it on a piece of plywood, and even right on the ground next to the hole, scraping it into the hole with a garden hoe. Most people mix it too wet, anyway. Too much water weakens it.

On big signs, like highway bulletins, I call the ready-mix. Their mixes are stronger than you can make by hand.

Michael: I've back-filled holes many times with just the dry stuff only, or, poured some water in with it prior to tamping. Mixed results.

Why don't you like the foam, John? It's so E-Z.

Brad in Arkansas

------------------
Brad Ferguson
4782 West Highway 22
Paris AR 72855
501-963-2642
signbrad@cswnet.com

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Churchill
Resident

Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Churchill   Email Chuck Churchill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my clients is a cement by the bag manufacturer. They sell the stuff to the building supply companies. They told me about a product for setting posts. They call it Rapidpost. Basically you put the post in the hole then pour the Rapidpost in dry. Add about one cup of water. It sets up in less than 1/2 hour. Works great

I would think someone in Kentucky sells a similar product. Start asking at the building supply stores.

------------------
Chuck Churchill,
It's A Good Sign Inc.
3245 Harvester Rd, U-12
Burlington, Ont.
Phone: 905-681-8775
Fax: 905-681-8945

Posts: 633 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya John,
First, we dig the holes & back fill with some gravel to bring the sign to level.
Second, we set the post with stone & gravel to solidify them in the holes. At this point the sign is solid enough to stand on it own without any swaying.
Third,
For temporary signs we back fill the rest of the hole with dirt & invoice the job.
Or, for permanent signs we dump in "quick" setting "crete" & mix water in the hole at the same time, mixing with an old mop handle to eliminate any air bubbles. Once the hole is filled, we put a finish on the top of the cement & slope it away from the post. Either way theres no need for supports or a return trip to the site the next day.
My boss has been doing it this way for 20 years & untill something better comes along, I plan on doing it for the next 20.
Havin' fun,
Checkers

------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
Classic Signs
South Plainfield, NJ
members.home.net/sign-it/
This isn't Burger King, you can't have it your way.

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmy chatham
Resident

Member # 525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy chatham   Email jimmy chatham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i fill the bottom third of hole with sakrete
then 1 third dirt tamp real good finish off with sakrete put a little dirt on top tamp again water in groung will set sakrete.
sakrete is the concrete with gravel. if you ever have to dig post up you can hit concrete with hammer and it will break & fall of.
hope this helps

------------------
Jimmy Chatham
Chatham Signs
164 Poplar Rd.
Commerce, Ga 30529
706-335-2348
Fax 706-335-3378
icq#11718273

Posts: 1766 | From: Commerce, GA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Jimmy all ya really need to do is tamp tha sackrete real good it'll set up from tha moiture in tha ground if there is a bad dry spell ya can just put a little water on top after tha sackrete is tamped but not much.Leaving the water out of the sackrete serves 3 purposes,one it gives ya an instant set to tha post & 2 there doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much post rot due tha concrete,& 3 all ya need is a post hole digger,a level,& a tamp bar.

------------------
fly low...timi/NC
is,.....Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC
members.xoom.com/Signz

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Gulliford
Visitor
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Gulliford   Email Greg Gulliford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The little barrels they make for mixing th econcrete seem to work good. They mix up enough for one home. Add you r mix, some water and roll it a round for a minute or so and it is ready to pour.

------------------
Greg Gulliford
aka MetroDude
Metro Signs and Banners
1403 N. Greene St. #1
Spokane, WA 99202
509-536-9452

Posts: 576 | From: Spokane, WA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are wasting your time & money using concrete with wood poles. Wood absorbs moisture and swells. Concrete will not stop the swelling so what happens is the concrete just cracks and is not holding the pole any tighter than compacted soil. I definatly use concrete for metal poles but never for wood. Check with any pole building contractor. Pressure treated poles go right in the ground... no concrete!

I made a tamper out of a 2x4 and I'll throw in any rocks to the bottom and tamp them down, then backfill the dirt, tamping as I go. Never had a pole failure yet. And we always dig holes deep enough to get below the frost line.

------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwood@up.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the responses y'all. You've put me in the right direction. All good ideas, and I think I'll retire my big gawky wheelbarrow now. The main reason I don't care for the foam Brad, is it's very hard to find in my area, and the times I used it, I wasn't happy with the results. I guess I am just used to concrete. Again, thanks to everyone for your help.

------------------
John Deaton III
Deaton Signs&Grafix
400 May St. Harlan, Ky. 40831 606-573-9101
"Grab an ol'cold tater and wait"
johnd3rd@kih.net
http://www.angelfire.com/ky2/dsigns

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Kouchis
Visitor
Member # 343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Kouchis   Email Pete Kouchis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For most installs we use the quick-set mix for post setting. Doesn't require pre-mixing, just pour it in the hole with the water and your done. We also add 3 or 4 16 penny galvanized nails sticking out on each side of the post. They set up into the concrete and give it something to grab on to. Even if the wood swells and cracks the concrete, the nails keep the post from riding up in the hole. What's the foam you guys are talking about?? Always looking for new ideas!

------------------
Pete Kouchis
Say it with SIGNS, Inc.
Orland Park, IL, USA
Phone: (708)460-3001
Fax: (708)460-3006

Excellence is doing a common thing in an uncommon way
Booker T. Washington

Posts: 150 | From: Orland Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!