Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Need painting pointers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need painting pointers
Richard Swartz
Visitor
Member # 372

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Richard Swartz   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Swartz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an employee who is new to the trade who has"mastered" vinyl cutting,weeding and taping. She is nowlearning to use the router and painting cut-out letters. She is having trouble painting 1/2" PVC letters. She is spraying Jay Cook's primer and then spraying the finish coat using acrylic latex paint (Behr). She keeps getting areas where the paint is crazing/cracking. We don't know why this is happening. Any suggestions?

------------------

Posts: 101 | From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wizsigns
Visitor
Member # 778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizsigns   Author's Homepage   Email Wizsigns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I paint the PVC letters with 2 pack auto paint and it works pretty good. I give the letters a rub with a scotch pad first and a wipe with pre clean. The paint soaks in to the edges a bit but usually works well enough

------------------
David Allen
Wizard Signs - It's a kind of magic!
ICQ 3467358
Email wizsigns@esatclear.ie
ICQ Pager 3467358@pager.icq.com
www.esatclear.ie/~davidallen/wizard.htm
Resident of Letterville

Posts: 280 | From: Virginia, Co. Cavan, Ireland | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post 
Waterborne & waterbase primers need extra drying time on non porous substrates.

------------------
SCP
spurcell99@mediaone.net
Cape Cod, MA

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
she may be applying the paint too thick. its best with a few thin coats than 1 big ole fat one!

------------------

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, never mind how to paint them, I wanna know how in the world did you even cut those itty bitty 1/2" letters??

lol

Really, sounds to me like you're just getting it on too thick also. Try multiple thin coats of switching to a solvent based paint that cover with a thinner film.
Good luck.

------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
http://www.dave-joe-show.com
e-mail: joerees@capecraft.com

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!