Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Komatex vs Trovicel, Sintra, Intefoam for outdoors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Komatex vs Trovicel, Sintra, Intefoam for outdoors
Mary
Visitor
Member # 303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary   Email Mary   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to install some lt grey panels 7.5" x 42" on an outdoor sign for store names. I want to use 1/4" thick sintra, komatex, trovicel etc. in light grey. We get the
real hot southern sun (when we aren't having
a snowstorm!) here and I know some of these
warp and fade no matter what the manufacturer
says. They will have to be changed occasionally. Does anyone have a good experience long term outdoor with this material or should I just resign to use .80
alum panels? Please advise!
Mary

------------------
Mary @ SignBiz
Wilmington, NC
signbiz@bellsouth.net
Proud Creators of Signage & Graphics for "Dawson's Creek"

Posts: 56 | From: Wilmington, NC usa | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Gulliford
Visitor
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Gulliford   Email Greg Gulliford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my ever so humble opinion I wouldn't use any of them unless they are for a very short term use (several months). I have seen PVC signs that have been up for extended periods that still look O.K. (as in so/so). Your best bet would be aluminum or something on that line.

------------------
Greg Gulliford
aka MetroDude
Metro Signs and Banners
1403 N. Greene St. #1
Spokane, WA 99202
509-536-9452

Posts: 576 | From: Spokane, WA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya Mary,
I gotta agree with Greg on this one. Go with aluminum. Depending on the background it's being mounted to, I would try prefinished .040, since it comes in gray. I believe anything thicker comes in white or mill finish only, you'll either have to paint or wrap with vinyl.
I think p.v.c. is good for short term & temporary signs but others will say otherwise.
Havin' fun,
Checkers

------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
Classic Signs
South Plainfield, NJ
members.home.net/sign-it/
This isn't Burger King, you can't have it your way.

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mary,

We have used Kometex outdoors with very good success by:

1: sanding lightly and painting it first
2: covering it with vinyl

We have several jobs out ( 1 over 5 years ) and they are holding up just fine.

------------------
Go Get 'Em..... :)
AKA Raptorman on #Letterheads mIRC Chat
Draper The Signmaker
Bloomington Illinois USA

Proud 2-yr. $upporter of this Web Site (May 1999-May 2001)

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Save yourself some time and worry. Use the aluminum, paint or wrap in vinyl (high performance only) and letter. Your signs will stay lookin' good for quite awhile.

------------------
Dale Feicke
Dale Feicke Grafix
11128 Baltimore St.
Brooksville, Fl. 34614
doda@gate.net

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many materials are marketed to the trade as "outdoor" materials but the manufacturers could never be convicted of truth in advertising (see the discussion on Medex).

I made the mistake of using PVC sheet outdoors a few years ago, as did my brother and many others I know. It does not hold up outdoors. It is attacked by UV, turning yellow and brittle. It expands greatly in the heat and does not necessarily contract back down. I had some signs "smear" on the wall.

I built six free standing leasing signs with PVC faces and round ends of PVC pipe. In the hot Texas sun, one sign built up enough internal stresses that it literally exploded, scattering pieces all over the parking lot. We did not figure out what happened until later, when another one blew up. In the meantime, a construction crew managed to drive over the other signs we had installed and all our "time bombs" were thereby inactivated. We replaced the signs with ones with Aluminum faces and never had another lick of trouble. Use Aluminum.

------------------
A Sign of Excellence

[This message has been edited by David Harding (edited January 28, 2000).]

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!