Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Tips & Tricks » Workshop #1 - How to save images for posting on internet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Workshop #1 - How to save images for posting on internet
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an idea that may be helpful for many of us. Alot of questions are asked over and over again and because of the subject titles, some are hard to find and retrieve for info.

What do you think of the idea of us starting a series of runs on How To's so they are easy for us to bookmark and retrieve anytime? We can start the posts with the word Workshop so if one does a search, just punch in the word workshop and all the workshops will pop up in front of you. Why not give it a trial run and see how it works. Please add your additional comments below mine to enhance the info avail for others.

Many of us are starting to post pictures on the internet.

Question: How should one save an image in preparation for posting on the internet?

Scan your image at maximum 72 dpi.
Your monitor will only show 72 dpi maximum anyways, and any more will create a large file that will take a long time to load on the net.

Downscale the size of your graphic before saving.
Whatever size you choose, bear in mind the image will show larger on the internet than the actual size you've saved it as. Just remember, viewing on the net isn't like looking at a sign, therefore you don't need your images all that large. Also, large images cause someone to have to scroll down to view entire image. Try saving your image at about 4" wide max and experiment from there.

Save your image as...
a jpg file extention. gifs work best for... can someone else elaborate?

Please add any info/tips you can.

Next Workshop: How to Download Images on the net so they can be posted. I'll continue this run if this idea flys.

------------------
Donna with Graphic Impact, BC Canada
gisigns@sprint.ca

[This message has been edited by Donna in BC (edited March 14, 1999).]

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have some great ideas Donna. Might be time we start thinking about giving you your own forum here.

I'll try to elaborate on which format to save your image as. The .jpg and .gif are still the two most popular formats so I'll concentrate on them.

Gifs are great for anything that contains less than 250 colors. This includes most artwork and logos. The advantage of a gif, pronounced jif by the way, is that it always appears exactly as it is saved. Although the digital information is compressed, it always displays the exact same quality it was originally saved as.

The jpg format is better suited for photographs and images that may contain thousands or even millions of different colors and/or shades. Jpg's can be compressed much more than gifs but there is a trade off in quality. The more you compress the image, the more quality you lose. I very seldom compress a jpg more than 25% or 75% of it's original size.

A jpg also compresses it's info in a loose way. What this means is that the image does not redisplay exactly as it was saved. Most people will never notice the slight differences but it's still worth taking note of.

So what's this all mean? Use gif format to save your artwork and line drawings. Use the jpg format for your photos. In most cases this simple plan will work out well for you.

------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673
steve@letterhead.com
www.letterhead.com/chatpals/signman.html

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Smith

Member # 298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't need to add anything here except that _some_ monitors are set up for 96 dpi, not 72, so I always use 96.

I think a separate 'How-To' forum would be a real hit. Go for it, Steve!

------------------
Mark Smith
Ampersand Signs & Design
EstiMate Sign Estimating Software
www.ampweb.com/estimate
1-888-304-3300
Hailing from beautiful Asheville, N.C.

Posts: 724 | From: Asheville, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mick Samsel   Email Mick Samsel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea Donna! In fact, I have e-mailed some of the people who have posted pictures and asked them how they posted theirs, one answer so far...so am looking forward to the rest of Workshop #1. Some other questions...I have an Epson Photo PC 700 digital camera (I'll have to check what format it saves it's pictures in) and am wondering if I need to change something about the pics dpi, etc. before grabbing them to post? Plus the scanning part of the 'workshop' will be interesting to see too. Keep in mind I'm on a Mac and hope anyone else out there that has posted a picture can throw in what is unique in posting a pic from the Mac platform. How would I 'bookmark' these workshops, or any particular topic of interest. At present, I do a Command/Shift/3 to take a snapshot of it, then open it up later...but takes a long time to print. I'm thinking of opening it from Freehand 8, then printing to see if it will any faster...just wondering out loud. I appreciate your great input along the way as I read the Bullboard. Thanks Donna, Mick Samsel.

------------------

Posts: 498 | From: Cherokee, Ia USA | Registered: Jan 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey isn't there allready a secetion of this site for how to's?
Mabey a page of step by step links rather than a page of step by steps. (theres soooo much information out there if ya happen accross it)
If anyone finds a link that would be helpful (how-to) post it to the bullboard for review... If enough people agree then put on how-to links page.
I've found some good links

to explain gif vs. jpg for size
http://www.andyart,com/gt_size.htm

I just recently found out that different browsers use different pallets (msie=256, netscp=216) explained
http://www.andyart.com/gt_icolors.htm

how to scan for the internet
http://home.att.net/~cthames/index.htm

of course I will still depend on the Bruce Jacksons of this world to build the real interesting ones http://home.connexus.net.au/~bruceja/tech/index.htm

hope this idea goes somewhere

hey..
is there ever gonna be another design cost workshop?....
everybody said they would have more time to play after christmas.... checked my calendar

------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic
Anti-Social
& Paranoid
but Basically Happy
NEW slamgrafyx.cjb.net

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Heads,

In my humble opinion, I think pictures saved in .gif format are much clearer. This is just the opposite of what our fearless leader suggests.

I scan my pictures "sharp millions of colors" then place them in Corel Photopaint, lighten or darken the image as needed, resample to 2.5 inches high ( length just comes out to scale) and convert to 256
colors and save as a .gif.

I have always had clear, sharp images in my tips and tricks posts here on the BB.
Most everyone is .gif fy fine

To see for yourself, go to the following URL.
This is where I store pictures on the ISP's free space so I can post them here.

A menu will display and all you have to do is click on each menu item and the picture will display. Some of these pictures are from tips and tricks, some are for joke posts and some are even other letterheads work who sent me pics.

here is the URL:

http://homepage.davesworld.net/~signman/

------------------
Go Get 'Em..... :)
AKA Raptorman

Draper The Signmaker
Bloomington, Illinois www.drapersigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!