Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Tips & Tricks » Tips & Tricks - Installations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tips & Tricks - Installations
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the spirit of Tips & Tricks Week, I'm offering this little time-saver that I use when installing signs that require multiple posts. To get a line of posts level at the top, I take a 30 foot length of clear flexible plastic tubing to the installation site. With this, I also take 2 spring-type clothespins, and a gallon of water, plus a small bottle of food colouring. Once the posts are in the ground, and perpendicular, I add the food colour to the gallon of water, and use the plastic tubing as a syphon. When about 7/8 of the tube is filled, I clip off each end temporarily with the clothespins. If you take one end up the shortest pole and duct-tape the tubing to the post where the liquid line is level with the top of the post, you can now take the free end up each subsequent post, and using the coloured liquid as an indicator, mark off exactly where the other posts must be cut to make the entire line absolutely level.

When finished, simply unclip the clothespins, let the water drain away, coil up the tubing, and save for the next installation. Since water Always seeks it's own level, this method works every time, regardless of the grade being level or sloped.

------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail kjmlhenry@home.

10,000 sperm swimming for that egg...and I won!

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ken,'re right about using a waterlevel. There are commercial made units available, but yours if just as good. One thing, though, you can wind up the tube inside of a gallon paint can filled with water and your food color. It will save you filing the tube each time. I have a 3 in deep plastic tray works fine.

------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Youngsville, LA.

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use the food coloring too but we also use little corks instead of clothespins, then we store it for next time.

------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Sign Studio,Inc.
Blastin' "woodesigns" in Chipley, FL
"autograph your work with excellence"
webbsignstudio@digitalexp.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another, even quicker way, is to buy a "line level" and carry it with your chalk line!
Hook the chalk line on the shortest post (or the height desired) and pull the chalk line to the last post, then hang the level on the line and adjust it up or down till it is level... then "snap a line"... there, ya got them all at once!
Werks fer me!

------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA
(714) 521-4810
ICQ # 330407
"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post 
I often use square pipe for sign posts. Many different decorative caps and finials are available that fit standard sizes of pipe.

Since I have many angle iron scraps that are one and two feet long, I cut points on one end with a chop saw and then weld them to the posts near the bottom, a couple for each post. Then when I set the sign, I don't have to use braces. As I push the posts down into the holes, the angle iron spikes sink into the bottom of the hole, keeping the sign plumb till I back fill the hole with dirt, concrete or hole setting compound, whatever I'm using.

Of course, this works for wood posts, too.

------------------
Brad Ferguson
4782 West Highway 22
Paris AR 72855
501-963-2642
signbrad@cswnet.com

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!