Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Tips & Tricks » Chalk Boards Step XStep, take 2

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chalk Boards Step XStep, take 2
Rob Clark
Visitor
Member # 787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Clark   Email Rob Clark       Edit/Delete Post 
Following are some other examples of underpainting and chalkwork to give you a bit more of an idea.

-

-
Note the underpainting of the border, it kinda just tails off into nothing. You will see why in this next pic.

-

In this piece I have used my fingers to kinda smudge some items,like the Potatoes, Mushrooms. I will roughly lay down the colours and then run my fingers over them to merge them together. Some chalk artist use only this style,it's nice,gives an airbrushed kinda feel to the work.

-
So,the finished job.

[ November 13, 2002, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Steve Shortreed ]

--------------------
Rob Clark
Rob Clark Design
11 Lassig st
Moore Park Queensland Australia

Posts: 421 | From: Australia | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheryl nordby
Visitor
Member # 1100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheryl nordby         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Rob.......I love your style. Thanks!
Posts: 3729 | From: Seattle | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Rob thank you much for the demo, I always wanted to expand my abilities into this kind'a thing and you seem to have the feel for it.

So glad I asked!

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,

I love the chalkboard stuff. What kind of paint do you use for the underpainting portions? Poster Paints like you use for the black maybe??

Thanks for the step-by-steps!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Clark
Visitor
Member # 787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Clark   Email Rob Clark       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Amy, poster paints for the underpainting,did I neglect to mention that, sorry.
I am not sure what you would call them at your place, but these paints are water based, dry flat and are somewhat porous / grainy / textured,not sure how to describe it. The important thing to remember is that if they dry too smooth the chalk will only slide over the surface without catching or leaving colour behind.
Hopethis helps.

Keep asking if you need a better explanation.

RobC

--------------------
Rob Clark
Rob Clark Design
11 Lassig st
Moore Park Queensland Australia

Posts: 421 | From: Australia | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful work Rob!

I love your style. Thanks for sharing, I'm definately going to try this technique.

Suelynn from Saskatchewan

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for the great step-by-step, Rob!

I'm a big fan of your work!

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!