Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Tips & Tricks » New Tips and Tricks for July 1999

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Tips and Tricks for July 1999
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

I just 'invented' something today I thought I would share with you. Hope it's new news to at least someone.

Creating an Easy Straight Edge

I'm off site alot and have to come up with creative ways to get the job done at times. I do alot of stripes on firetrucks that range from 4-6" thick. Today I had to cut a straight edge on one side of the stripe before applying it to the vehicle, and I didn't have a straight edge tool on me.

I layed the stripe down on the ground, and placed a ruler along one edge along the top, horizontally. I then placed another ruler vertically under the horizontal one, placed as far right as possible. The result, a perfect straight edge from top to bottom.

The rulers are metal with good edges so this proved to be very reliable for getting a nice crisp right angle.

Any other new tips to share? (keeping the post idea alive for Dave Draper )

------------------
Donna with Graphic Impact, BC Canada
proud $ supporter of this site
gisigns@sprint.ca

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coop
Visitor
Member # 504

Icon 3 posted      Profile for coop   Email coop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one may have been posted before, but in case you missed it here goes.

We're always losing exactos, stabilos, olfas, etc... Take a small piece of reflective vinyl, wrap it around the end. Go into the shop at night with a flashlight, and 'round 'em up.

Thanks to Monte Jumper for sharing this tip with me! It works great!

------------------
David Cooper,
The Sign Shack
580-234-1072
Enid, OK.
signshack@prodigy.net
email=signshack@prodigy.net

Posts: 658 | From: Enid,Oklahoma, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I'm adhereing vinyl on-site, I have a 3M Gold squeegee that I've drilled a hole into, between the ridges, and close to the top. I loop an elastic band through this hole, and wear the elastic on the wrist of my right hand. This frees up the hand to more easily position the masked vinyl, and when you need the squeegee, it's there with a simple flip of the wrist. Saves a lot of time looking for the squeegee.

------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail kjmlhenry@home.com

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of straight edges, especially when drawing a line in the side of a truck. A strip of magnetic double feaced tape on the back side of a 4' metal straight edge is very handy. If the truck is fiber glass, just a strip of masking tape at one end works well.
Bill Riedel
The old signpainter

------------------

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken...When I am out on a job I always wear my handy dandy vinyl applicator's pouch. Kinda like a carpenter's pouch but a lot classier looking. It holds a couple of squeegies, exacto, pencil, tape measure, Olfa knife, rivit brush, masking tape and a lil chizler. But your idea about the elastic band through the squeegie sounds like a great idea. Now in keeping with the professional image i like to convey with my custom modified supplies case, the aformentioned "classy" pouch and of course my custom lettered application fluid and adhesive remover spray bottles I got to thinking that one of those flourescent springy bracelets that the bank tellers use these days to keep track of their "swipe" cards might be just that final touch of class to enhance an already "CLASSY ACT"!!!! har har har!!!!

------------------
Dave Grundy shop#340
AKA "applicator" on mIRC
"stickin' sticky stuff to valuable vessels and vehicles!"
in Granton, Ontario, Canada
1-519-225-2634
dave.grundy@odyssey.on.ca
www.odyssey.on.ca/~dave.grundy
"A PROUD $ supporter of the website"

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diane Crowther
Visitor
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diane Crowther   Email Diane Crowther   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This tip may help the carpal tunnel syndrome, sore neck, and other computer related problems. I got a Logitech Mouseman Wheel mouse and it is just great for surfin' the web. When I go to our graphics computers, I miss having it.

This mouse has a really nice shape which fits comfortably in the palm of your hand. Between the mouse buttons there's a small wheel that you drag on to scroll the screen page up and down. There's also a side button (that you click with your thumb) that performs a few functions: click it once and it performs a "double click" for you. Click & hold and it brings up eight web icons for "back", "bookmarks", etc. (or you can set it to perform other functions such as word processing). When I'm using this mouse, my hand moves far less than all the buzzing around necessary with a regular mouse.

With my new mouse I also bought a mouse table that attaches to the underside of my desk. My neck and shoulder are much happier...not totally happy, but much happier.

------------------
Diane Crowther, Metaline Graphics Ltd., Nova Scotia, Canada, ID #285

Posts: 516 | From: Hubbards, NS Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Churchill
Resident

Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Churchill   Email Chuck Churchill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave here is another suggestion for your on site class act. I recently bought a multi pocketed cloth bucket bag and a big flat bottomed plastic bucket. The bucket bag fits over the sides of the bucket. Mine has about 40 pockets for everything from pencils to a portable drill. Even has a pocket made for a cell phone. Inside the bucket you can put your cut vinyl rolls, spray bottles and rulers up to 3 feet long. Grab the handle of the bucket and you can move everything you need for the job (except a ladder) in one hand. Also helps you keep all your tools organized and in one place while onsite. I looked a long time here in Ontario for one of these bucket bags with out success. Finally found it(a Craftsman model) at a Sears store in Michigan.

I took this to a local University today to do a installation project. I was the envy of all the students on campus....especially the co-eds!

------------------
Chuck Churchill,
It's A Good Sign Inc.
3245 Harvester Rd, U-12
Burlington, Ont.
Phone: 905-681-8775
Fax: 905-681-8945

Posts: 633 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another tip I can share that I've been doing lately.

When a project calls for vinyl removal, we all know what a mess the glue adhesive remover and glue can make.

Bodyshops have that paper attached to masking tape. I rip a good sized piece off the roll, then stick the tape to the vehicle right under where the removal will take place. I then drape the rest of the paper over areas of the vehicle I don't want to mess up, such as steps on a rig.

No more messy bay, or extra cleanup on the vehicle.

------------------
Donna with Graphic Impact, BC Canada
proud $ supporter of this site
gisigns@sprint.ca

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamie Hunt
Visitor
Member # 970

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jamie Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave thats a great idea with using a pouch for puting all your bits and pieces in, i use one myself but i've just come up with another idea.
when driving in my car i have a drinks can holder which hooks over the window, so i thought i could put this to use and heat bent the second angle on the holder so it was straight and heatbended the first angle so it was at a 180 degree angle you should have a clip that you can now hook over your belt. Now you need a can size squeege bottle to fill with apllication fluid
In england i use a company called AUTOSMART were i get my spray bottle which is roughly a coke can size in thickness.
I find it great for when you only have one pair of hands to spray the application fluid

------------------
Brookfield signs not just another vinyl company!!

Posts: 1 | From: Hinckley, Leicestershire, England | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vinal Wizzard R
Visitor
Member # 476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinal Wizzard R   Email Vinal Wizzard R   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have something to add to Donna's method, the paper on the side and floor will help you so much in clean up .I at one time did many many buses that need vinyl removed and new on I would save old Backing or liner Spin it around and apply your tape to the printed side (if you use the shinny side It will fall just when you don't want it to ) This ia a bit more durable if your useing diffrent chemicals. Worked well for me and don't need a roll of paper and a friend also used newspaper.

------------------
Al Checca
934 Wood Street
Latrobe PA. 15650
724-532-3245
People asking questions lost in confusion
Well I tell them there's no problem, only solutions
Well they shke their heads and look at me as if
I've lost my mind...........John Lennon
724-532-3245

Posts: 151 | From: Latrobe P.A. USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Byrd
Visitor
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Byrd   Author's Homepage   Email John Byrd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this before but it deserves another! If you do alot of hand lettering try this. When opening your soup, chili, fruit cans for the next 'signpainter's lunch' don't cut the lid off completely...leave an inch or so uncut and carefully pry it open to empty the contents. Wash it out well and when it dries you've got the handiest paint can - pallate combination there is!Pallate on the back of the lid that is now exposed and the excess is running back into the can! Best thing since ready mixed paint! The soup can sizes are the best for all around work...easy to hold with mahl stick hand or crossed wrist method. Works GREAT! Learned this one while working for 'Wimp' Cantrell.

------------------
John Byrd
Ball Ground
Georgia
letrhed1@tds.net
so happy I gotta sit on both my hands to keep from wavin' at everybody!

Posts: 741 | From: Ball Ground, Georgia, USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ross Luckhurst
Visitor
Member # 703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ross Luckhurst   Email Ross Luckhurst       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, you forgot to mention your pocket protector, and tape on your glasses!

------------------
Ross Luckhurst
AKA Scolt on Chat
DIGISIGN
Woodstock, Ontario, Eh!
digisign@netcom.ca

Posts: 96 | From: Woodstock, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary joe
Visitor
Member # 539

Icon 9 posted      Profile for mary joe   Email mary joe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i sure do like those shiny paint kits they sell at dick blick, but since i'm on a budget i load all of my supplies in a milk crate (you know, the kind found outside of 7-11). it carries my supplies and on occasion i have to empty it out and use it for a stepping stool. i knew i forgot something! the ladder.

------------------
Mary Joe
MJ Design
Trenton, MI
mjgrafix@ili.net

Posts: 189 | From: Trenton, MI 48183 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!