Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Tips & Tricks » Workshop #2 - Posting pictures on the internet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Workshop #2 - Posting pictures on the internet
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

Some of you may remember, back in March I started a post re: Workshop #1 - How to save pictures for posting on the internet. I don't have a good excuse for not continuing the thread sooner. The last response was great, so here comes #2.  -

Workshop #2 - How to POST pictures on the internet

Posting pictures on the internet isn't that difficult, it's simply a matter of knowing how to do it. Here's one easy way.

A. How to save your picture
Saving your work properly is half the battle. And we've covered how; please check out Workshop #1 - How to save images for posting on the internet, at
http://www.letterville.com/ubb/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/19990621-1-001745.html

B. You'll need a web page
In order to post your picture on the internet, you need to have it downloaded onto a web page. There are loads of free sites on the net that you can take advantage of. One to try is Tripod at
http://www.tripod.com/

Create a Tripod folder in your bookmark area for future reference.

At this point I attempted to go through the steps to guide you, however Tripod's pretty confusing. I learned long ago to bookmark each step so it's much quicker, so here are my fav bookmarks to help get the job done faster.

C. How to Upload your pictures on Tripod
1. To upload your image onto the net, select:
http://homepager.tripod.com/service/homepager/upload_pic

Bookmark this page!

At this point, you'll first need to register to obtain a password via email. Select SIGN UP NOW and once you've recieved your info, you can continue.

2. Select Browse, look for your pic on your harddrive, select it, then hit Submit.

3. Scroll down until you see VIEW the file you've just uploaded. RIGHT click on it, select Open In New Window, and there it is. Note the url of your picture. Bookmark it or keep it open to copy/paste.

4. Go back to your Upload page, and select Homepage Housekeeper. This area will have a lising of all your pics you upload. Bookmark this page.

5. Now when you go to post your picture on the internet, you'll need that new url where your picture is at.

6. Use a UBB code so you can post pictures on the Letterhead Website. UBB is simply codes you put in front and behind the urls, kind of like a simple version of html coding. The following ubb code displays your picture within your post.

[ I M G ]yoururlhere[ / I M G ]
(remove the spaces in [ I M G ], I had to add them so they would show up here)

More UBB Codes
The above example is only one common UBB code. There are many more at: http://www.letterville.com/ubb/ubbcode.html

Your picture should be proudly posted at this point. This is only one small example on how to get your pictures on the net. There are FTP programs, webpage builder programs, etc. however I found this easy for newbie useage.

If anyone has anything to add to this subject, please feel free to do so. I'd love someone to explain FTP abit more as I don't know much about it. Perhaps links to good FTP programs and a quick how to?

Please feel free to add your info, and hope you've learned something of value.  -

[ November 16, 2008, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Barb. Shortreed ]

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Donna. Many, many thanks for this tutorial. This is valuable information for a novice internet user like myself. I hope others will add to post, and this type of information should be added to the resource section. I've noticed that questions relating to this topic do re-occur, as well as how to access the chat area.

It's nice to have such sharing individuals to help us overcome our ignorance in this area. Again, thank you.

------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail kjmlhenry@home.com

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post 
great job donna!

------------------

Mark Fair

Mark Fair Signs
http://www.markfair.com

I Don't Work... I dis-PLAY

2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107
334-262-4449

mark@markfair.com

"Mark Fair is a Proud Contributor to The Letterhead Site!"

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Bustamante
Visitor
Member # 370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Bustamante   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bustamante   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Donna,
Great post. Heres what little I know about FTP,
which stands for "File Transfer Protocol". These
programs are used to upload files to the internet.

The one I use is wsFTP-Pro(32bit) It takes some
getting use to, but once all the correct settings
are plugged in, it should be a piece of cake. This
program uses an interface that is very much like
Windows' Explorer. It has "drag`n`drop" qualities,
as well as editing features like; rename, delete,
and "perel" commands.(used in forms)

The WinSoft FTP-Pro demo can be downloaded from www.download.com This demo is a 30
day evalueation, which can be circumvented by using
a crack. E-mail me at signwiz@valleyone.net
for more information.

FTP can be frustrating at times, with all it's server
settings. The thing to remember is; "Who is your
server?" Their FTP adress is like http:// with one
slight twist; the prefix(for FTP) is ftp.myserver.com
which is for the "remote" host. You will need a user
name & password to gain entry.

wsFTP has two windows, on the left, is your computer,
and on the right, is the remote computer. To transfer
files, go to where your web files are(on the left window)
and tag them for transfer. In the middle of these two
windows are arrows pointing the directions to which your
files will be transfered. One important thing to remember
is; Photos must be transfered in "Binary" and webs(html)
must be uploaded in "ANSI".

Heres a couple of tips. The net is "case" sensitive, which
means, it reconizes upper & lower cases. For instamce,
most of the times when you save your photos, windows saves
them with the extension *.JPG (in caps) However, your
html editor writes its code using lower case; *.jpg This
can cause problems, since the net is case sensitive, and
will cause your photos not to show up. Be sure that code
& file are refered to in the same manner.

Sometimes html editors uses files that are unseen. To see
these folders & files; go to the tool bar, go to "view",
then "Folder Options". There will be a long list of
options. One of the settings will be "show all files".
Check that radio button. Be sure to do this "while"
sitting in the directory where all your html files are.

Sometimes, you must close your FTP "Session" before any
changes will take effect.

Heres a direct link to wsFTP-Pro(32bit)
[URL]http://www.download.com/pc/software/0,332,0-75156-s,1000.html?st.dl.subcat42.list.tdtl[/ URL]

This is Richard Bustamante with this old sign saying,
"Your only as good as your tools"

------------------
Richard Bustamante
12646 E. American Ave.
Del Rey, Ca. 93616
e-mail: signwiz@studio-b.net
http://www.studio-b.net]www.studio-b.net

[This message has been edited by Richard Bustamante (edited September 02, 1999).]

Posts: 781 | From: Nevada City, California | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mick Samsel
Visitor
Member # 311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mick Samsel   Email Mick Samsel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Donna, glad to see this on the Billboard. Some questions...how can I reference your post about this subject, rather than scrolling back to it the next chance I get to really study it...bookmark? Still learnin'!
Thanks for your time, I know it takes a lot and I appreciate it. Mick Samsel.

------------------

Posts: 498 | From: Cherokee, Ia USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilead Stellar
Visitor
Member # 158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilead Stellar         Edit/Delete Post 

Ok so here's a question.
Every now and then I post a picture like the one above. It's there for a while and then it just goes away leaving that little icon that says "there should be an image here, but there's not".
I didn't change anything on my web page so why won't the image stay put?
If you can't see the picture above; right click on the icon, choose "view image kitty.jpg" You'll be taken to a page with a link, click on the link and you see the picture. Click your "Back" button and now the image appears in this post...for a while.
Why does it do this? How can I make it stop?
Should I use gifs instead of jpgs? Is Tripod unstable? Am I unstable?
Any ideas would help.
------------------------------------------

OK, I tried changing to my earthlink site. Let's see if that works better.
------------------
Gilead
Phoenix AZ
http://members.tripod.com/Stellargraphics/Gilead.htm

[This message has been edited by Gilead (edited September 09, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Gilead (edited September 09, 1999).]

Posts: 319 | From: Gilbert Arizona USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gilead,

I know exactly what you mean. I've noticed this only lately when using Tripod as well. The changed seemed to be the same time they changed something on the site... if you open someone else's Tripod picture directly with the url, a header page comes up first, allowing you to enter the picture. Not sure if that has something to do with the glitch.

On another post, Checkers says:

quote:
Hiya Heads,
The reason why a lot of the pics aren't loading is apparently because tripod.com doesn't like you linking pictures from their website to other pages on the net. I guess it reduces the amount of improper use of their web pages and bandwidth.
If you use Netscape & want to see the pic. Just right mouse click on that funky cube and select view image. From there, it will give you another link to the pic.
Hope this helps & always havin' fun,
Checkers

I've also noticed that Tripod does this on occasion if the picture is posted too large in size. However that isn't the case with your picture at all.

The glitch doesn't happen often, but is still there on many occasion.

I'll email Tripod direct and attempt to get an answer and post here what my findings are if I get lucky.

------------------
Graphic Impact
Beautiful BC Canada
proud $upporter of this site
gisigns@sprint.ca

[This message has been edited by Donna in BC (edited September 04, 1999).]

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Hi Mick,

The only way I can see you being able to save my first post without all the following posts is to cut and paste the info into WordPad. Only glitch with that is you won't get the live url links.

Other than that, if you want to save the whole thread, yup, bookmarking works great. I bookmark many posts so I can flash the url if someone asks the same question again. Bookmarking works great as long as the original post remains online or is placed in an Archive file when it leaves the board, which Steve is starting to do on some threads.

If you EVER lose the bookmark or post, I've rigged the post to come up in the SEARCH if you simply type WORKSHOP.

------------------
Graphic Impact
Beautiful BC Canada
gisigns@sprint.ca

Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't begin to tell you how much we appreciate your sharing information like this Donna. You are setting a great example of how this BullBoard can be used to best serve all our needs.

Every week or so, I go over all the hundreds of posts from the previous week and try to sort out what are keepers and what can be tossed. Any posts that have been really popular or educational are left on or moved to the Archive directory. Hopefully we are preserving the Best Of The BullBoard for all those who will join us in the future.

Thanks to all of you who go the extra mile like Donna. You are the people who make this website the community it has become.

------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673
steve@letterhead.com
ICQ 316338
www.letterhead.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Bustamante
Visitor
Member # 370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Bustamante   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bustamante   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To save the webs you view, go to the "Tool" bar, and click on "File", when the dropdown appears, choose "Save as". Name the file, and save it to your computer. I usually save items like this in "My documents" folder.

"May the wind be at your back, and the seas always calm."

------------------
Richard Bustamante
12646 E. American Ave.
Del Rey, Ca. 93616
e-mail: busta@thesocket.com
www.studio-b.net

Posts: 781 | From: Nevada City, California | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Hi Richard,

I just tried that. Which program did you enter to open the document? Whatever you do, DON'T choose Wordpad! You get alot of garble and <<<>>>.

------------------
Graphic Impact
Beautiful BC Canada
gisigns@sprint.ca

Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have no clue about those free services (tripod, geocities)
But for those aol people (there are 12 million of us shmuks out there- hey it's not like "I" pay for it) go to keyword "myplace" then go to "my ftp" click the upload button follow instructions. Once it's uploaded follow Donna's [ img ] ubb instructions.

As far as ftp I use the free version without problem ... don't remember where I got it ... twocows or c-net or something.

to show whats being said

first you set up the session-
If I'm on aol and uploading to my free space I can go anonymous because I'm already connected to that server (profile name * aol, host * ftp.aol.com)
For conecting to my actual host for my site it's as you see here + my password (like Richard said my domain with www replaced by ftp)
After the session is set you go to the two windows in the back. The one on the left is your files on your hard drive, the right is the files on the server space that you got into from the set-up session.
pick the file on your hard drive (left side) you want to send to the server then press the button (where I put the blue arrow) Send graphics using the binary format... so simple my 8 year old can do it.

The hardest part is finding the host name from the people who have the server ... once you find that out the rest is gravy.

------------------
90% of life is perception and interpretation...
If your life sucks, You suck... DON'T SUCK
http://www.us-uck.com
Smile more, everyone benefits
slamgrafyx@aol.com

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Bustamante
Visitor
Member # 370

Hi Donna,
Not to be a smart ass, or anything, but why didn't you choose Internet Explorer, or Netscape to open up your saved files? These are the "Apps" (applications) that everyone uses to view the web. Remember, you are saving a htlm file.

Sorry to be a smart ass, (ahead of my time)
Richard
signwiz@valleyone.net

------------------
Richard Bustamante
12646 E. American Ave.
Del Rey, Ca. 93616
www.studio-b.net

Richard Bustamante
Visitor
Member # 370

Oh! I forgot, Donna,
Now that you've associated "Wordpad" with web pages(html) your gonna have to re`associate to view html documents with IEx, or netscape. Good Luck! I forget how to do that right now, but give me awhile, and I'll remember. I've got Part`timers.
"Do you suffer from short term memory loss? I'm sorry, I don't remember..."

This is....ah...I forgot...

signwiz@valleyone.net

------------------
Richard Bustamante
12646 E. American Ave.
Del Rey, Ca. 93616
www.studio-b.net

PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post 
HUH?

------------------
PKing is
Pat King of
King Sign Design in
McCalla,Alabama
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Hi guys,

The update to Gilead's request has arrived. Tripod has spoken...

quote:
Hello,

On August 18th, Tripod instituted an interstitial page to help us stem
the burgeoning problem of remote loading from the Tripod members servers
to other services. Remote loading is a drain on Tripod's resources and
interferes with our ability to provide free web space for our members.

Tripod accounts are for use in the creation of web pages, not as storage
space for images, zip files, sounds, etc. to be loaded on other services. This is clearly stated in our terms of service.

Tripod Member Web Page and Member Conduct Guidelines

The following is a non-exclusive list of actions and content that are
prohibited on the Site. Tripod may cancel any Membership associated with
such actions or content or may remove any associated Member Web Page
with or without prior notice, in its sole discretion.

i) Use of a Member Web Page as storage for remote loading, or as a door or signpost to another home page.

It costs a lot of money to host free web pages, and when our servers are taxed with no pageviews (i.e. remote-loading on e-bay and webtv emails) we are simply throwing money away. From anyone's perspective, this
makes no business sense.

What this means is that Tripod no longer allows the embedding of MIDI's, WAV's, MPEG's, and similar files from remote sources (e-mail and non-tripod sites such as auctions.) You may still freely embed files on your own pages with us. We have allowed the remote use of GIF's, as
this type of file is reasonably small and is most often used in banner exchanges and webrings.
Please be aware that this is subject to change.

Have a good day!

Amy Johns

Membership Services
Tripod, Inc. / A Division of Lycos

I choose to leave my original post up and running as it still has the basic guidelines on how to post pics.

------------------
Graphic Impact
Beautiful BC Canada
gisigns@sprint.ca

Daniel Craig
Visitor
Member # 971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel Craig         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a problem with "free" servers. Not only are you inundated with ad banners, but, if you dig around in the legal verbiage, most of these sites can claim anything you upload to their sites as their own. Geocities is one example that comes to mind. If you upload original works of art, there, then Geocities can claim those images.

For the past few years, I've been using ValueWeb (http://www.valueweb.net). For $19.95/month, they offer 100 Mb of web space, FrontPage support, lots of CGIs (guestbooks, search pages, hit counters, etc), protected page options, and more.

Granted, I use the space mainly to run web-based AD&D games. Wretched excess, eh?

As for using WordPad to make pages. Yes, it can be done. No, I never use it. My brain thinks in a WYSIWYG environment, and so I choose to use programs such as PageMill and GoLive, which offer a GUI, to construct my pages. I use FrontPage as well, but only to create and manage Discussion Groups.

------------------

Posts: 91 | From: Greensboro, NC | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!