Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Composite or Vinyl sign facing???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Composite or Vinyl sign facing???
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to bid a sign that the customer wants. He really likes Trex flooring and siding. I see lots of problems. The sign is a 3' x 8' box with acrylic letters attached on face. In looking at Trex and other competitors I see concern for 12" on center attachment, expansion issues, and having to machine/mill lap joints. I don't want gaps in this siding like face when done. (bugs and such). Any comments. Customer loves the modern grain-ish texture showing. Will most likely be dark brown. I'll be more clear; free standing, sitting on a raised block of something in a planter. I pitched aluminum sheet over aluminum frame box and the Trex thing was what he came back with.

Suggestions? Have you used it? What about outdoor/water issues??
Jer/Artworx

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 289 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used it and it still looks good after twenty years. I took one down recently and wondered how I ever got it up there. This old man can't lift like he once did. That stuff is heavy.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 7028 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about using Trex, but I recently saw a sign I did around 1988. We sunk railroad ties into concrete 2 ft. deep to make a rustic looking monument to mount sandblasted sign panels on. I remember loading them in the van with a helper and digging the footing, mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow and setting them in. I'm sure I was tired at the end of the day, but I wouldn't think of doing that now. I probably wouldn't be able to get out of bed the next day or 2 even though I'm in pretty decent shape for 70.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1115 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really bummed that more 'heads haven't commented. Here's the deal: customer has had contracting/building experience. He wants a welded box form made of aluminum angle. He wants Trex planks attached to this and then acrylic lettering glued into (studs) the Trex. On Home Depot the Trex is 1 inch x 5.5 inch. I guess you could use the 2x deck material too. I don't have a problem with the Trex (except for the cost) but the expansion concerns grow as there is no way to let there be movement for the faces. I also think there is possible water risk on the ends.
I suggested using 4x6 posts and attaching the Trex directly on this but he is stuck on the aluminum for some reason he can't explain. I think it will look great for about six months and then be a problem. Oh, he wants NO paint on the sign.
I think I will be turning this away. I just see risk ahead.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 289 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd probably rip the 1x in half. 1/2"would be sufficient. If the project is that far away from your normal, and you don't feel a peace about doing it, send him on. Maybe you have something to give him as a thanks for giving me the shot at it.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 7028 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!