Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Clear Coat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clear Coat
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm doing a sign for an auto body shop and they'd like to shoot a clear coat on it to achieve greater longevity. Do you think it will last longer? Will it prevent lettering colors fading? Do I need to use the same catalyst in the 1 shot that they use in their clear? Should I just letter the sign with some 1 shot hardener in the color?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6999 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it will make it last longer. I have a body shop sign in Central Valley that is over 20 years old and looks new. One shot and catalyst (generic...not One SHot cat). If you used House of Color you would not need any catalyst. Easy, just don't eat the sign.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 276 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Gerald. I can attest to the longevity of clear coat but the signs I did with it I also used automotive paint so the sign colors are lasting just like a car's colors last.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Argyle TX 76226

sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5456 | From: Argyle, TX | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could have them shoot a 12" square test piece to be sure the paints are compatible. If they think it would last longer I would let them decide that.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1112 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would I need to use the catalyst they put in their clear in my enamel, or could I use 1 Shot hardener?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6999 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used both (either) with good success. Just a few drops. Tough to keep on hand as it goes bad in a month in the can.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 276 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would use the same Catalyst the body shop uses in their clear. Although, the 1_Shot cattle, Ha Ha, catalyst might work, I don't think it's as "Hot" as regular automotive catalyst. Besides, after all that work, you don't want to get the call. AND, big and, tell them to let it cure for about, at least 1 week. 2 weeks would be even better. Oh,are you painting the background or are they painting the background?

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 4101 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

I'm painting the background. I can get some of their hot stuff and do some experimenting. They don't need to use that water based system, VOC regs are not to that level here

[ February 19, 2023, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Rick Sacks ]

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes on their catalyst, Rick. We had body shops clear over our work on motorcycles without our knowledge and the ones that ate the 1 shot were the ones we did without catalysts. This was in the 90s before we switched to HOK. Some body shoppers told me they used an intercoat clear first. I’ve got murals painted with acrylic water based house paint that were cleared with automotive paints. The results were good. Sometimes with signs facing south that were painted with 1 Shot - the clear chipped off after a dozen years and the 1 Shot didn’t chip off and kept going. That’s fascinating to me. Good luck

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2121 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive clearcoated over one shot with no catylst but always used automtive reducers in my one shot. When I clearcoated I did a light coat and let it sit and then come back next day with thicker coat of clear. no wrinkle no burn. Ised PPG 2021 high solids clear

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2039 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you can clear coat...but....must be built up slowly just like Bruce Ward says....and yes it does make it last much longer. I've done a lot of this without hardener in the 1 shot....just have to sneak up on it until you can lay down a full wet coat.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1452 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard OneShot will be discontinued ?

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 246 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you writing about 1-Shot clear coat or the full line of paint?

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 4101 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hopefully all of their crappy paint, their clearcoat was the absolute worst!

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2039 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!